Surefire vs Ultrastinger

battman

Newly Enlightened
Which model surefire rechargeable would you say competes with the US in terms of light output & beam throw? This might be a "loaded" question since I have buddies at the airport who use surefires, mags, and streamlights.

I have first hand comparisons (sorry, no pics) and am interested in all your opinions before i reply.

K-T

*Moderator*
I know that this is a comparison we've (or at least some people) are looking forward to. I guess it depends on what SF rech. model you are comparing? 9N, 9NT, 9AN, 9ANKT or even the 8X/NX/AX series with/without turbohead or maybe 10x? They all do have very different beam characteristics. I haven't seen the US before, the best rech. SF model (in my opinion) in terms of beamshape, throw and hotspot is the 9NT. I haven't seen the 10x either so can't say anything about that.
frown.gif

Well, I guess I don't know which one of these lights is best compared to the US.
wink.gif

Klaus.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The SureFire 9NT is likely to be the closest to the UltraStinger in terms of tight beam and throw.
It's a discontinued product though
frown.gif

The 9AN+KT3 is perhaps the closest to the UltraStinger from SureFire's current product range. It is a real same the beam of the N3 lamp in the 2.5" diameter KT3 TurboHead reflector is nowhere as tight as the same N3 lamp in the Classic 3" diameter T3 Extended range TurboHead reflector.

The 10X is in a class by itself - more of a floodlight - a wall of light.

It would be very useful if there were some photos of the 9NT & 9AN+KT3 next to the UltraStinger.

Al

Big Tex

Enlightened
I've got a SF 8nx and a SL US and the 8nx won't compete with the US. Until something comes along that is priced in line with the US, then I will still consider the US as the best bang for your $ in rechargeable lights.

battman

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I found in our informal light output & beam throw comparison:

1. US vs Magcharger- US wins in overall light output with a MUCH smoother beam. We had to call the throw a draw since both lights can focus a very tight spot at a considerable distance.

2. US vs Surefire 9AN- US wins both tests, hands down. The 9AN has an evenly smooth beam, but much yellower in comparison to the US. Throw competition wasn't even close.

3. US vs Surefire 9N (& 9NT)- The 9N beam is equally smooth compared to the 9AN, but the 9N was whiter with a brighter hotspot. Not sure why, we thought they use the same lamps?? Anyway, the 9N just wasn't near as bright as the US. And even with the turbohead, it couldn't outdistance the US. Not even close.

4. Surefire 9NT vs magcharger- 9NT wins beam quality, mag wins throw.

I don't think the 10X belongs in this type of comparison...and for $500 it had better blow any of these lights away.

BTW, I am a fan of surefire (just ordered my 1st one, the E2E-HA) and tried to keep an objective opinion in these comparisons. Nobody argued about the results. I know that every light has its own applications, but am surprised that at twice the price of a US or magcharger Surefire doesn't have a model that blows away the competition.