INOVA Inforce line Part II

loszabo

Enlightened
Dear all,

at IWA 2008 I saw a prototype of the next generation tactical flashlight from Inova. I remember a few points:
  • Kevlar body -- low heat signature
  • Main LED plus 4 color LEDs (red, green, blue & IR) in the bezel
  • Gladius/Insight-like UI for the selection of modes/LEDs
  • Strobe (I think)
  • 1" diameter
  • Shock-proof for weapon mount
  • Of course only developed for Delta/SEALs/CIA-SAS/Hollywood... :whistle:
Anybody out here at CPF with pics or release infos? Many thanks!

YES, I want this flashlight!

See updates below. As usual I'm answering my questions myself... :poof:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from Inova that they will be out around mid march.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a new in box INF-B-W from eBay for about $120 delivered. The watertight case this light comes in is great, reminds me of a couple of years ago when Battery Station shipped one of Henry's lights in a Pelican case with spare batteries.

I took the plunge and fed the light with Battery Station rechargeables, it seems to work fine. The pushbutton in the tailcap is very hard to activate, takes several pounds of force, I'm not sure if this is by design.

The hotspot is well defined and seems to be noticeably brighter than both old and new Surefire U2's that I have handy. There is a visible color shift to yellow on the lower brightness settings and a slight doughnut in the hotspot.

The 'carbon fiber' body feels a lot like hard plastic to my unsophisticated fingers. Wonder if 'carbon fiber' is claimed to be a color like 'titanium' in some other Inova's that are actually anodized aluminum? Whatever the material, there are slightly visible seams and possible fill points indicating injection molding rather than CNC machining like on most Surefires.

I can hear a slight rattle from something in the light, it doesn't seem to be the batteries. After pushing the tailbutton lightly while shaking the light, the rattle disappears, looks like it is in the switch.

There is very apparent flicker on the lowest power setting from the PWM, medium and high look continuous.

As with most clicky multimode lights, you have to get the cadence just right to change brightness, otherwise you will cycle the light on and off.

Later, I'll take this light out for a night walk and see how it compares to some others that I have.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.

Just got a new idea for an Inforce mod: four white Rebel floods, using the same interface for control as the white reflectored thrower. At a hundred lumens/watt for high-bin Rebels, you could - would you accept a 20-minute runtime - get some truly batshit crazy output at close range.

Imagine a cross between a Creemator and a Roomsweeper. With a pinch of Aviator and Gladius :D

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I took the Inforce White out the last couple of nights. The low setting is still pretty high for maintaining night vision and the PWM flicker is really annoying whenever you move the beam or your head, but only on low. The throw is terrific though, and the light feels good in the hand.

You can preset the brightness level and use the light as a twisty but if you turn it one click too far back it forgets the preset and you have to press the tailcap pushbutton really hard to get the light to come back on. The stiff tailcap button has been reported here by others, what were they thinking? It makes momentary almost useless.

The strobe and beacon seem useful, you can close your eyes, point the strobe at your face and pay homage to Timothy Leary. The strobe frequency does seem to be tuned for max interaction with your visual circuits. The beacon is full brightness, about one Hertz. In the civilian world I might use it to point at oncoming traffic while changing a tire beside a dark interstate highway.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
might the switch be made to be tough, so that it doesnt accidentally go on and illuminate yourself in a bad situation?
Or maybe they designed it a little stiff so that it would wear in nicely.

I dont have one and dont know how hard the button is so that is just speculating.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TIROS isn't making a return.

The Inforce line doesn't use a TIROS, and Inova dropped optics some time ago.

I saw, in the 'Features' tab, "next generation TIROS"
http://www.tacticalleds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INFORCE-6V&Show=ExtInfo
&
http://www.tacticalleds.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INFORCE-9V&Show=ExtInfo

so, unconfirmed, I posted in the part I that TIROS was returning. Well it looks like that just isn't so.

Surefire has their TIR system in the X300 & E1B/E2D, Kroma, V2L, E1/2L, LX2... so it was possible that Inova was giving it another attempt.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

i wonder why they would be using an optic in some of the inforce models but not all....

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish they would have made them with multi modes like the bigger ones.

Latest posts