My First "commercial" LED torch

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
My First \"commercial\" LED torch

I attended the BMF Show (biggest motorbike show in Europe) and found a stall selling torches and gadgety things.
On the stall they had some nifty LED torches (No Luxeons, I'm afraid). They are 3AA sized and have 4 white LED's in them. The torch is aluminium with a twist-n-click head switch.
I'm not sure whether nichias are fitted but the torch is reasonably bright. The price was £3.99 including 3 free new AA's! No brand name on the box, but a nice torch all the same. The device also comes complete with a short shoelace lanyard!
I shall be testing this at Nant Gwynnant this weekend!

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My First

No pics? No beam shots? Quit playing with our emotions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Re: My First \"commercial\" LED torch

Unfortunately, I cannot post pics yet. I guess that if I didn't spend so much money on torches and torchy bits (LED's, resistors, etc, I would be surfing using a computer rather than a Set Top Web Box!
So, a thorough description may be all I can give!
The torch is roughly 20 cm long, finished in shiny silver anodized aluminium. The body is machined with a criss-cross milled handgrip area.
The diameter of the body is 14mm and the cylindrical head is 20mm in diameter. The head incorporates a twist on/twist off switch, but unlike minimags has a positive click to it which should hopefully prevent the torch from accidentally turning itself on in your pocket.
The torch head is about 20mm of the length and is machined with knurls to give a good grip.
The torch (which is only available with white LED's is fitted with four 5mm LED's which are reasonably bright and give a blue-white 6000K beam. It isn't as bright as it could be, roughly the same as a cyan BT2 with good batteries but certainly a very useable smooth beam. I supposen that ultimately you will pay the price of spectral bradness with less brightness. The LEd's do not have harsh rimngs in the beams and have obviously been chosen for thier smooth beams.
I'm not sure whether there is any circuitry inside the torch head other than resistors but it would be surprising given the purchase price of the torch at £3.99.
It is certainly good value for money! I cannot buy the LED's alone, let alone make a torch!
I shall be testing the torch on my next Nant Gwynnant trip, head to head with a BT2 and a couple of other EMPOWERTORCH mods!

Latest posts