Surefire G2L plus Malkoff LEDs

Mikellen

Enlightened
I couldn't seem to locate this in the search function.
I recently purchased a Surefire 6P and replaced the P60 with a Malkoff M30W. I am operateing this with 2 AA batteries. The light functions perfectly with the Malkoff. I also just purchased a Surefire G2L and planned to replace the P60L with a Malkoff M60WLF, (which I have not purchased yet). I placed the Malkoff M30 in the G2L, (to test) and it does not light up. I disassembled the tailcaps and bezels from the 6P and G2L and compared both bodies. The 6P has shiny silver aluminum throughout the whole body right up to the rim of the top of the threads where the bezel screws down into. This aluminum totally surrounds the Malkoff dropin.
With the G2L, the aluminum is only through the battery compartment and not inserted on the inside top portion of the body. This means the only connection that the batteries have with the Malkoff dropin is by the little spring at the bottom of the Malkoff.

Is it common for the Malkoff to work better with the 6P than with the G2 or G2L?

I purchased the G2L specifically to replace the stock LED with the Malkoff, but I'm thinking maybe its just better to leave the P60L in the G2L and use the Malkoff with the 6P.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks.

dilbert

Enlightened
I had a similar thing happen with a G2ZL and M60W. It would light up, but would lose contact and turn off if shaken.

E-mail Gene and explain your situation... he'll make it better.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I get it. The only connection to the batteries is always the ground spring on the module.
The base of the Malkoff should make contact with the "sleeve" inside the body, which is what forms the ground path in a G2/G2Z/G3.
I just tried a Malkoff M60WF and WLF in a G2. They sit flush, with no gap. edit: had a G2ZL recently, but did not try a Malkoff in it.
They light up fine in the G2. I'm waiting on a G2 tailcap, and hadn't used the light yet. My concern now is that for whatever reason both Z41 tailcaps I tried were making contact(constant on) even when almost completely unscrewed. The Z59, a clickie tailcap, worked as usual. I'll hopefully have a matching G2 tailcap later today or tomorrow, so hopefully everything will work as usual with the proper parts.
I should also be getting a Malkoff M60WL today that was ordered for use in the G2 as my beater at work. I like the idea of a G2 as a host for the L and LL Malkoffs, since they don't generate much heat, and I prefer the G2 over the 6P if the light's stock appearance is being kept.

btw, I think you will love the M60WLF as long as there isn't too much ambient light where most of your use is. With a host, it makes my favorite flashlight of all time.

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened
Then maybe there is another issue with my particular G2L. Since there is an aluminum sleeve throughout the inside of the 6P including the very top portion of the body, and the G2L body only has the aluminum sleeve through the inside of the battery tube and not through the top part underneath the threads where the bezel would screw over, then I thought this might be the cause of the contact issue.
Is it normal for the G2L to have the aluminum sleeve inserted only through the battery tube and not have it run totally through the inside of the total length of the body?
I hope I'm describing this accurately, I wish there was a way to post pictures.

Thanks for any answers.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I hope I'm describing this accurately, I wish there was a way to post pictures.
Although you won't get the best quality photos, you can actually set up PhotoBucket to accept images sent directly from a cell phone, it provides an e-mail address to you that your phone can use:

'Click' -> /picture message/ to PhotoBucket -> copy&insert link in CPF

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tube should be like this
IMG_2123.jpg

Both my old M60 and current M60wlf fit and work perfectly. I've actually had fewer contact issues with the G2 than my C2 since the G2 bezel has some elasticity (a slight untightening of the head doesn't make the module loose) There is the normal .5mm bezel gap. Whatever the problem is, out of spec battery tube, module needs some minor fit work, it can be fixed :)

Mikellen

Enlightened
That's a great photo Yoda4561, thank you for that. That's a G2 though correct? Does the G2 and G2L have the same body?
My G2L looks like that (Except for the color).

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a surefire G2L, with the older nitrolon head. G2 and G2L bodies are identical, the only difference is the newest G2L's have an aluminum bezel.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be the cell extender, was that extender designed for the G2 or for a 6p/aluminum bodied light? Take the extender out of the equation. Install the M30 as normal, remove the extender and tailcap, hold the batteries in the tube by hand (or use 1 cr123a, makes this real easy) and use a paperclip or piece of wire to complete the circuit.

Mikellen

Enlightened
th_P2240580.jpg
th_P2240581.jpg

left- G2L body right- 6P body

th_P2240582.jpg

Malkoff M30W

The pictures more accurately describes what I was trying to convey in words.

Edit: Thanks Yoda4561! It works without the cell extender. I used a paper clip to complete the circuit and it worked.
I guess the outside threads on the G2L are plastic. Since the cell extender is made completely of aluminum
there is no electrical contact with the plastic threads.

Can anyone confirm if the threads on the G2L are really made of plastic, and this could be the cause of the Malkoff not working with the cell extender?

Thanks Kestrel for the picture posting instructions.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone confirm if the threads on the G2L are really made of plastic, and this could be the cause of the Malkoff not working with the cell extender?
The threads are plastic, but the inner sleeve extends past them. Is your extender a SF A19?
That worked fine with mine, because it has a lip that makes contact with the base of the sleeve. If your extender is another brand that makes contact through the threads, that may indeed be the problem.

Mikellen

Enlightened

This is the extender that I tried with the G2L.

Solarforce 6P to 9P converter for Surefire and G&P Flashlights.
I purchased it through E-Bay.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know how that one is shaped on the inside, but here's the A19, and the G2 that it works on.
dscn3747r.jpg
dscn3748.jpg

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks Kestrel for the picture posting instructions.
Glad that helped. Cell-phone photo quality is of course pretty mediocre (& sometimes takes a couple tries to get one in focus), but I often find it more convenient than taking a digital camera photo, downloading it to the computer, manually uploading it to Photobucket, resizing the photo for CPF requirements, then posting it.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Owen, the Solarforce that I tried is shaped similar to the A19. It has that metal lip like the one shown in you left picture.

As per Yoda4561's advice I did succesfully get the Malkoff to light while in the G2L (6P also) by using 1 CR123a battery and a paper clip to complete the circuit. I just tried doing that with the 2 AA batteries with the G2L and 6P and it did not work on either. But if I use the Solarforce extender, and 2 AAs with the 6P it works fine. It still doesn't work with the G2L, 2AAs and extender.

th_P2250585.jpg

Female end

th_P2250586.jpg

Male end

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can figure is that the Solarforce extender doesn't screw down all the way on the G2, or maybe doesn't screw down all the way on either SF, but makes contact through the threads on the 6P.
I've got some copper washers("friction rings") here that might be the perfect thing. I'm sure they're packaged a zillion different ways, or available at a hardware store alone.
These came in a pack with several each of several sizes, along with different size rubber cone washers. It's called a "Plumb Pak Cone Washer Assortment". The widest of these rings has a ID of ~.69", and an OD of .810". I got them to use for making a contact ring to go around a Malkoff M30F for use in a C2 bored to 18mm, and it worked great after a couple minutes with a Dremel tool.
That ring drops right into the A19, and sits on that lip, without modification.
Maybe you can find something similar. It's worth a shot if it saves you from having to buy another extender.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thanks Owen for the copper washer tip.
I think as long as my future Malkoff M60WLF purchase will work in the G2L with CR123A batteries or a 17670 protected battery, I'll just use it that way.
The 6P and Malkoff M30W I can use with the extender and AAs.
Thanks to all for your help, it was much appreciated.