Short review of the Streamlight Polystinger C4 DS LED

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its been a while since I've payed attention to Streamlight, having "moved on" to other manufacturers like Fenix and others who are more likely to stay on the cutting edge of LED technology. I have several Streamlights from back in the day, but they get little or no use save the Ultrastinger that rides in my vehicle.

So I recently notice that Streamlight was releasing the Polystinger LED with "C4" technology and a dual switch ("DS"). Thought I would give it a shot and see how it compared to my incan Polystinger. The "dual switch" keeps the standard switch near the head and adds another at the tail for "cigar" or "dart" deployment.

The Polystinger LED a major step in the right direction.

First the specs from brightguy.com and Streamlight:

The new Streamlight PolyStinger DS (dual switch) LED flashlight has both a head switch and tail switch and gives you up to 185 lumens in high with 2 hours of run time. Just use the head switch or tail switch to activate high, medium, low or disorienting strobe. The PolyStinger DS LED gives you a tightly focused long-range beam with an amazing amount of light - up to 185 lumens in high mode. What's more, PolyStinger DS LED is compatible with any PolyStinger or Stinger charger you may already own. (not compatible with UltraStinger AC Fast charge cord, part # 22665)

Also available: Streamlight PolyStinger LED with head switch only.

Switching for Streamlight PolyStinger DS LED flashlight:
• independently operating head switch and tail switch
• press once for high
• press and hold to scroll through brightness modes; release at desired brightness level
• press twice rapidly (from any mode) for strobe
• when on (in any mode), press once for off

Charging options for Streamlight PolyStinger DS LED flashlight:
• Steady charger (standard) with a 10 hour charging time (AC-home; DC-car)
• FAST Charger with a 2.5 hour charging time
• Piggyback charger which charges the Streamlight PolyStinger LED flashlight and spare battery
simultaneously; includes spare battery
• Piggyback FAST charger which charges the PolyStinger LED flashlight and spare battery
simultaneously; includes spare battery; PolyStinger LED charges in 2.5 hours and spare battery
charges in 10 hours

Features of Streamlight PolyStinger DS C4 LED flashlight:
• C4 LED Technology, shock-proof with a 50,000 hr lifetime (approximate)
• amazing brightness: 185 lumens in high, 95 lumens in medium, 50 lumens in low
• deep dish parabolic reflector produces a long range targeting beam with optimum peripheral
illumination to aid in navigation
• available with 10 hour steady charge or 2.5 hour fast charge
• 3-cell 3.6V nickel-cadmium sub-C battery good for up to 1,000 charges
• runs up to 2 hours high, 3.75 hours medium, 7.5 hours low, 5.5 hours strobe
• fits existing PolyStinger/Stinger snap-in chargers
• measures 8.6" long
• multi function, easy access push-button switches (head and tail) designed for extremely long life
• super tough, non-conductive nylon polymer with non-slip rubberized comfort grip
• unbreakable polycarbonate lens with scratch-resistant coating
• O-ring sealed (not dive rated)
• serialized for positive identification
• assembled in USA

a008.jpg

Polystinger DS LED.

a002.jpg

Polystinger LED with shorter incan Polystinger.

a15m.jpg

The photon emancipator.

Powernoodle doesn't do beam shots, so maybe someone can chime in on that front.

There are a couple of things that jump out about the Polystinger LED. First, its a thrower. The reflector is configured to focus most of the output in a tight, well-defined hotspot that is maybe 12" at 10 feet. The hotspot is surrounded by several rings which fade into a large but not so bright spill area. The spill is adequate for near tasks, but you cannot get away from the fact that Streamlight has chosen throw over spill for this one. Thats neither good nor bad - it just is what it is.

The Polystinger LED easily out throws a Fenix LD20, which it should given its larger reflector. That tight spot on the Polystinger LED reaches out beyond the limits of the Fenix's big, fat hot area that disperses over distance. It also beats the Olight M20 Premium in the throw department.

As for the Polystinger LED vs. incan Polystinger, there is no comparison. The LED flavor cranks out a lot more light, which is whiter and certainly more focused. The incan Polystinger is yellow, full of artifacts and just weak in comparison.

Another thing about the Polystinger LED is its size. At 8.6" long (though it seems longer), it is noticeably longer than the Polystinger incan. I would probably opt for the non-DS flavor LED, which loses the tail switch but is somewhat shorter. This is not an EDC light for most of us, so that extra size probably is not a deal breaker.

Construction is solid. Its made of thick, hard plastic with a rubbery handle insert, and gives the impression of durability. This impression is enhanced by Streamlight's lifetime warranty.

It feeds on a rechargeable and proprietary ni-cad, which the instruction say is very unlikely to suffer from memory issues. Aftermarket NiMH batteries are available, and should increase the Polystinger's already good runtime.

The switches are covered with thick rubber and feel durable as well. Use either switch for momentary or constant on, and hold it down to cycle from hi-medium-low-medium-hi. Double click at any time for a high hertz strobe, which to my eyeballs is more disturbing than anything from Fenix or Gladius.

I purchased also a yellow Streamlight traffic cone, which definitely would attract attention on the road or roadside, especially on the strobe mode. You have to remove the light's bezel, and the cone is a friction fit on the light. Screw on would be more secure and preferable.

Also purchased a Ripoff's cordura holster with flap and velcro attachment. Its was not spendy either at around $8.00, and I'll cut the flap off (and melt the wound so it doesn't fray) making it an open top drop in holster.

The similar but truncated Strion LED is due out in the next several week. At 160 lumens, 2/3 the length and half the weight of the Polystinger LED DS, it should be a good alternative, and will probably find its way into the Powernoodle arsenal as well.

Pros:
- excellent thrower, solid user with adequate though underwhelming spill; seems eager to be dropped, scraped, whacked, thrown and generally abused
- its a Streamlight, with a lifetime warranty
- smart charger allows you trickle charge 24/7
- an alleged 1.75 hours regulated on high, which is adequate for most of us; 2.5 hour fast charger available, and dropping in a new battery takes 10 seconds.

Nitpicky cons:
- I'm an old fuddy duddy who thinks that a plastic LED light with charger should cost $49 instead of around $100; but its "worth" what people will pay, and I paid for mine . . . so maybe it is worth the money.
- slight battery rattle and sproingy switch spring sounds; can't click it on and go unnoticed, though momentary is silent
- the "low" output is 50 lumens, which not so long ago would have been considered "high" output; I like my low output to be under 10 lumens or so.
- no anti-roll bezel (though the Strion LED will have this feature)

Edit: took this thing out again on night 2, and am even more impressed than I was the first time. It can really throw. Not monster mega thrower, mind you, but more than plenty for vehicle carry, nighttime walks, checking the back 40, checking the neighbor's house for storm damage, and so on. Enough throw to really reach out there and impress the uninitiated. The only changes I would make would be to shorten it up a little, and crank the low output setting way down to maybe 1 lumen.

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
Thanks for review, i would have the Polystinger in the next week, i think it is avery good duty light for every day use.
The LED looks like an Cre Q5 ? my old Stinger C4 LED has an other LED, there was an thread about.
Can you compare to other lights, Tiablo A9, Dereeligth DBS or other Thrower ?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called Streamlight to see what kind of LED is in this thing. Tech guy was very surprised that the C4 was released. He asked me twice if mine has "Polystinger LED" imprinted on the light body, which I guess indicates its a C4. I asked what C4 meant, and he just said it describes the LED and internals. Asked what kind of LED and who manufactured it, and he said they have a certain spec for the light and get them from various manufacturers. Asked him if it might be a Cree and he said yeah.

As for a comparo to the Tiablo A9 and others, all I have in the genre is a Tiablo ACE, but that thing has a MC-E quad die and larger reflector, and its way up the food chain as far as throw goes.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review Powernoodle. I called Greg at Brightguy and was going to buy another Fenix TK12...but now in the R2 version. Based on this review though, I had him compare the Polystinger led against it. Greg said that to his eyes, the Polystinger looked brighter in spill and through (though the beam was not as white wall pretty). Part of me wondered if maybe he did not have the TK12 on its highest level, but my Stinger led HP was very bright (though wpill was narrower than most of my lights)

So, I thought I would give the Polystinger C4 led a try. Mine came tonight, and I am impressed by Streamlights continuing to up its game. The light is much smaller than the Stinger led HP, and is not a ultra thrower like the HP is (the hp is in the DBS class of throwers) But, it has a spill beam as wide as my Fenix PD30 R2 and is slightly BRIGHTER. It also has good throw with a bigger spot than the HP. (mide does not have a well centered led though like the HP did) But overall, I still like the beam bettier for its wider spill.

I think when I put a Bust-A-Cap on the tail end, I will really like this light. Again, thanks for the review.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I would comment that I just received another Fenix TA21 from Batteryjunction. This light is the same brightness as the TK10/11 etc. The Streamlight has the same sized spill beam...but the spill is brighter, and of course out throws the TA21.

I am just amazed that a light that is advertized By Streamlight as 185L is now my Noticably brightest light.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
With all due respect, this light was a big disappointment for me.

I have this 185 lumen Polystinger in the non-DS. I purchased it to be my primary light. The first shift I used it the rubber over the switch popped out, and it would not go back in due to an irregularity in the molding, and Gulf State Distributors had to send it back at no cost to me. My other Stinger is the 90 lumen LED, and it had to go back too initially due to moisture forming under the lens. And, that Stinger has also now lost it's rubber switch cover.

The other problem with the Polystinger C4 is the beam pattern is too tight for vehicle stops, although three years ago it would of been awesome, but other lights are out that wash the interior of a vehicle with much better light.

Consequently, my C4 LED stays in my duty bag with a traffic cone (you should NOT be removing your bezel for your traffic cone - I believe that drops your lens and an o-ring - hardly practical in weather. Streamlight makes a larger cone for this light since the head is now larger than the Stinger), and now on my duty belt is a FAR more robust, faster charging, Lithium-Ion battery, works with gloves better, barely less bright (175), more weather resistant, works better in cold weather, better designed Pelican 7060 as primary. For back-up and vehicle stops I have the Surefire 200 Lumen E2DL with a broader beam that really illuminates vehicle interiors.

Last edited: