XR-E Q5, XR-E R2 and MC-E Comparisons?

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
With each emitter having it's own best circuit board to run on, which emitter is the best XR-E Q5, XR-E R2 or MC-E?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightness, current consumption, throw/flood, ...
what is "best" for You?

the Q5 and R2 are the same led, with the R2 being the better bin, so - when everything else is the same - the R2 is "better"

the MC-E on the other hand is FOUR of these led in a single package.
pos: more brightness but almost no size increase (of head)
neg:
1st: four times the current needed
2nd: four times the heat produced
3rd: much wider beam and pretty nothing to fight that
4th: other driver needed, next to impossible to drive it with full power from a single cell
(which imho makes no sense, but there are ppl whoe want that small package and dont care for 30 mins runtime)

znomit

Enlightened
The Q5 is the best as it is the cheapest.

The MC-E is the best, as it is the brightest.

The R2 is the best, as it is the most efficient.

What is your application?

steve6690

Enlightened
....is the 64000 dollar question. Deciding which is best for your application is the major part of the battle. And the fun part :grin2:

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
The Q5 is the best as it is the cheapest.

The MC-E is the best, as it is the brightest.

The R2 is the best, as it is the most efficient.

What is your application?

I'm looking for throw with bright spill with hopefully at least 2+ hrs runtime.

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
brightness, current consumption, throw/flood, ...
what is "best" for You?

the Q5 and R2 are the same led, with the R2 being the better bin, so - when everything else is the same - the R2 is "better"

the MC-E on the other hand is FOUR of these led in a single package.
pos: more brightness but almost no size increase (of head)
neg:
1st: four times the current needed
2nd: four times the heat produced
3rd: much wider beam and pretty nothing to fight that
4th: other driver needed, next to impossible to drive it with full power from a single cell
(which imho makes no sense, but there are ppl whoe want that small package and dont care for 30 mins runtime)

I want to build a Dereelight MC-E type of torch with decent runtime (2hrs+). Just wondering which emitter and circuit board is best to build upon?

R33E8

Newly Enlightened
Actually, shouldn't the MC-E be more efficient than an r2 at the same drive levels? (350mA parallel on the MC-E vs 350mA r2).. The MC-E would be the best all around with the best efficiency at lower drive levels and much brighter maximum brightness.. I don't know how it deals with throw and stuff though..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It takes a much larger reflector to make the MC-E have the same beam pattern as the XR-E R2(MC-E has 4x emitting area vs R2). The MC-E(depending on bin) at the same drive current should be more efficient then the R2 though.

Do you want to build a light like the Dereelight DBS with good throw and spill? Then why not just get the DBS with a single mode pill?

Well, you won't have the experience of building a light though.

Superdave

Enlightened
a MC-E in 4P driven at 800mA is still roughly 100 lumens brighter than a Q5 @ 800mA. I've tested both in my rig, there is a pretty big difference.

with the MC-E driven at 3A it's like 6x brighter than a Q5. That's running it pretty hard though. :duh2:

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
It takes a much larger reflector to make the MC-E have the same beam pattern as the XR-E R2(MC-E has 4x emitting area vs R2). The MC-E(depending on bin) at the same drive current should be more efficient then the R2 though.

Do you want to build a light like the Dereelight DBS with good throw and spill? Then why not just get the DBS with a single mode pill?

Well, you won't have the experience of building a light though.

Yes, I am right on the edge of buying a DBS!! But yes, I'd like to meddle in TRYING to build a torch. Don't know quite what I'm doing, especially with the technical aspect of the NUMBERS as far as the mA's and stuff.
Just want to get the best emitter for me with the right driver.

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
a MC-E in 4P driven at 800mA is still roughly 100 lumens brighter than a Q5 @ 800mA. I've tested both in my rig, there is a pretty big difference.

with the MC-E driven at 3A it's like 6x brighter than a Q5. That's running it pretty hard though. :duh2:

Don't mean to sound like a total novice but what's "4P?"

Also, there's all these damn multi-mode drivers, is there ANY way to tweak the driver to make it into a single mode? Don't need SOS or low, I just want to light up the torch! I have a 3-mode light and I'm OVER it!!!!

Superdave

Enlightened
Don't mean to sound like a total novice but what's "4P?"

Also, there's all these damn multi-mode drivers, is there ANY way to tweak the driver to make it into a single mode? Don't need SOS or low, I just want to light up the torch! I have a 3-mode light and I'm OVER it!!!!

all 4 dies in parallel. You can run it in several different configurations, 4P seems to be the most common, however 2S-2P seems to pop up sometimes as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Sounds like you have only used a cheap DX multi-mode driver. A well designed light with a well designed UI is a pleasure to use, multiple modes and all.

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you have only used a cheap DX multi-mode driver. A well designed light with a well designed UI is a pleasure to use, multiple modes and all.

Yep, I have a cheap Romisen 3 mode cr@%, but I also have a multi-mode Tiablo A6 which is OK just as long as you give it a good second or two between ON and OFF's. I'd rather not have to tinker with the button, I just want "ON"

FYI - Although in a different class of bulbs, the little A6 just about kept up side-by-side with the Surefire M4, as far as flood and throw. That little thing packs a punch. Don't have the A9 but I'm sure it'll blow the M4 away.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no way a mce (4p) @ 800 can give "100 lumen" more than an XR-E @ 800
thats 1/3 more!
impossible!

imho there must have been some error with the setups ...

Superdave

Enlightened
no way a mce (4p) @ 800 can give "100 lumen" more than an XR-E @ 800
thats 1/3 more!
impossible!

imho there must have been some error with the setups ...

MC-E 4P @ 800mA in a Z3, 6120 lux in my rig, which is around 227 Lumens
Cree Q5 800mA dropin in a Z3, 3600 lux which is roughly 133 Lumens

both done on fresh cr123's. The luxmeter don't lie ;)

steve6690

Enlightened

Is 3A running it hard ? It's only 750ma per die.. I've had mine (4s) running at 1A per die for around 5 minutes. Needs a good heatsink though. I'm considering running it at 1A per die permanently in the dive light I'm building...

znomit

Enlightened
MC-E 4P @ 800mA in a Z3, 6120 lux in my rig, which is around 227 Lumens
Cree Q5 800mA dropin in a Z3, 3600 lux which is roughly 133 Lumens

both done on fresh cr123's. The luxmeter don't lie ;)

Thats a poor Q5, should be up over 200lm at 800mA.

How do you convert lux to lumens?