Flash grenade substitute for those on duty

oregon

Enlightened
You arrive at the dark location of the reported break in to find an open door. You decide that rolling in a flash grenade is unwarranted. What light do you roll in as a substitute?

oregon

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what good a flashlight will do, the light will come out the front and oint in one direction, very unlike the one bright flash of a flashbang. All the flashlight will do is make one area very bright and the rest of the room bright enough for them to see you and shoot back. Unless you get VERY lucky and the light ends up pointed towards them. Now perhaps a strobe of some kind which shoots out in all directions, as long as it lands bottom down...

oregon

Enlightened
The Pelican M6 is a premier tactical duty light. And, it cost accordingly. So, if the bad actor (supposing there actually is a criminal inside) happens to be a flashaholic they will know you are (a) serious (b) coming in right away to retrieve your super light (c) have so many cool lights that you can afford to toss them about or (d) going to shoot them with a Sig if it comes to deadly force?

oregon

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
MMmmmmmmmm Sig 226 in 357 Sig. :cool:

Now I have to go get it out and mess with it for awhile, see what you did!
Oh just remembered I have the 9mm slide on it at the moment.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who the hell throws a flash bang on a simple open door call?

Too much Hollywood thinking...

horizonseeker

Enlightened
well, there was that one light ball which was advertised as tactical disorientation......

can't find the link, but was a good laugh when it was posted.

oregon

Enlightened
Who the hell throws a flash bang on a simple open door call?

Too much Hollywood thinking...

Saw it done on "COPS" the other day. No ID on the light except that it looked Mag-like, was metal, bright and stayed on after it collided with something inside. The light toss was quick and done without debate.

There was no response after the light was rolled deep into the dark building, on what sounded like a cement floor, at night. After the building was cleared a couple of nearby kids were stopped and questioned. They claimed to be simply following the actions of the police officers (2). The building housed a dry cleaner. The owner came to the shop and said that he had been repeatedly broken into.

oregon

SureAddicted

Enlightened
What light do you roll in as a substitute?

None, there is no substitute.
The Purpose of a Flashbang is to disorientate, incapacitate, lose a perps bearings and intimidate the BG in a confined space. A light will not do that. Rolling in a light is something I would never do, nor would seasoned officers.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately those tactical balls, but I'd throw in all 3 to make certain! ;)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol no flash bangs and no rolling anything..

There are very basic building clearing skills you learn. Then you move onto more advanced.

We train with SWAT on how to move through buildings.

While that little rolling ball does seem like it would work, I would never use one.

The bad guy would know you were fixing to walk into the room, so you failed.

Think, if it impaired his vision, unless I'm wearing sunglasses how would I not be affected. Flash bangs don't disorient people outside of the room and there's no way to avoid the affects. Even if you close you're eyes the concussion is going to set you down QUICK.

In SWAT callouts unless there is some reason to go in quickly (given patrol cops or first responders would probably take the roll of SWAT if it was that important) flashbangs are a last resort used with actually physically going in under certain circumstances.

In todays world, patrol cops who are first responders often take the roll of SWAT when they need to go in somewhere and don't have time to wait on SWAT. Flash bangs aren't given to them, only many many many nights and days of practicing how to do it with yourself and you're gun.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican M6 is a premier tactical duty light. And, it cost accordingly. So, if the bad actor (supposing there actually is a criminal inside) happens to be a flashaholic they will know you are (a) serious (b) coming in right away to retrieve your super light (c) have so many cool lights that you can afford to toss them about or (d) going to shoot them with a Sig if it comes to deadly force?

oregon
You obviously haven't been here long enough

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those "tactical balls" seem like they only have small, low power leds in them (I can't really tell from the info given). Wouldn't it be way cheaper just to throw in a glow stick or something of that sort? What is the real purpose of these tactical balls?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, maybe a p7 encased a sort of acrylic 360 mule type head like a glow tube. Driven off an IMR RCR with a strobe circuit? Might be sufficiently bright and durable enough for that sort of use. I still don't see it standing up or coming close to an actual concussive device though.

Last edited: