Most suitable turnkey LED wall of Light for Wedding Gift? $150 limit. Thanks!! :)

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hi all - I've been away from this forum for a long time and as such am very out of touch with the latest offerings within the given specs in the heading.

I'm looking for a nice light for my good friend. Nice cosmetically as well as functional.

Here's his most likely scenario for use of his light:

Bump in the night, walking round the house and checking the yard (small yard).

I know for a fact he has some shady characters living in close proximity and I believe it scares the whatsy out of his lovely wife to be.

He has made a request for a "good bright flashlight" on his wedding gift registry and, as his groomsman and good mate, I have taken it upon myself to find him the pot of gold at the end of their newly-wed rainbow.

...and so I defer to you, the members of CPF collective and all the knowledge that entails. lovecpf

I would LOVE to present a Malkoff dropin using a new mag but the website looks like there's none available just now and they are due to be wed in a few months. (Very short engagement!) Perhaps something in titanium??

I'd think more of a flood than throw. Distance requirement maximum would be about 25 meters - 27 yards or so.

I'm open to suggestions, please take the time to consider my friends' gift. It may save his life one day.

Thanks and Regards,

Tim.

jchoo

Enlightened
I absolutely LOVE my E2DL with an F04 beamshaper on it. You should be able to find both for under $150 with a little creative shopping and use of discount/coupon codes.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that price point I would suggest -

RA clicky
SF L1 or Backup

For less money there is the Liteflux3X.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Cool, so the E2DL with beamshaper is a Surefire light right? Thanks for that Jchoo, I'll go take an indepth look at that during the day today.

The Ra Clicky (I always assumed this was a tailcap switch for some reason) and SFL1 (Surefire?) and Backup... I have never heard of this one. Is it Surefire too, regulator? Thanks for your input also.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe 2 lights would be good, one for each.

Would they mind a simple 2 mode light?(loosen bezel = low, tighten = high)

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I don't know for sure gunner12, I suppose it would be a better feature to have considering low for indoors and bright/boost for outside.

That would likely conserve batt life too.

Oh yeah - on battery options, it would be great if it runs on rechargeables, hopefully a standard type like AA's or D cells etc. Otherwise I'll probably have to find a charger and source batts too.

He's happy with a thumper light, ie mag 3D or similar but I think a classier looking and physically smaller light would also be welcomed.

Toaster

Enlightened
I think Surefire E2DL with F04 diffuser as suggested would be a great choice. If he wants more of a thumper light running on standard cells, Fenix TK40 would be my first pick.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Just out of morbid curiosity Toaster, why would the TK40 be your first pick - as far as I could tell just now there are no reviews nor specs on them. Sounds like it's a great light but I'll need to know more about it first.

I just took a good look on the Ra web site. I think I'm in lust. :naughty:

delbert

Newly Enlightened
The surefire defender with the diffuser sounds like a good choice.
I use the F04 diffuser daily on my E2L and it works great!

However, be sure to look at the L4 as well. If you were to look up "wall of light" in the dictionary there would be picture of the L4.

Man, I wish you were buying my wedding presents!

Toaster

Enlightened
Just out of morbid curiosity Toaster, why would the TK40 be your first pick - as far as I could tell just now there are no reviews nor specs on them. Sounds like it's a great light but I'll need to know more about it first.

It's more like the only pick if you want to run on standard cells. Every other quality light that size runs on CR123s.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Wow, I thought somebody would get this before me. The Lummi Raw or Wee, I think they are available in titanium.
They are so dang small, I cant imagine 200 lumens from something smaller than an AA battery.
Even more, I cannot immaging 100 lumens from the size of an average car key...
Just outstanding craftsmanship. and its less than $100

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing as how he has unsavoury characters around the neighbourhood, you might want to consider a 4D to 6D Mag with this drop in (selling at $69.99) should be well within your budget and if he doesnt know anything about flashlights he is going to be stunned at the output, you might want to leave the 6D Mag in stock condition first then switch in the drop in on the sly. And if there is enough left, you might wanta get him 2 x Fenix E01s for around the house use.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4 with SSC just came out - a slightly higher price than $150 though. It's floodier than an E2DL. Not sure ifhe new L4 will be in Australia yet though :(

Of course adding a diffuser to the E2DL as suggested above would work great.

The LumaPower MRV SK Ultra is 350/500 lumens and within your budget - tons of flood.

An Olight M20 R2 or Fenix TK11 R2 would be under budget - you could throw in a rechargeable batterty setup too...

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, for $150 you could fix them up with a few very nice and useful lights that would cover most of the lighting needs for years to come.

1. The new 2xD cell Rebel LED Maglite. This is Mag's newest light. It's familiar, tough, and will focus from wide to spot. I understand it's currently on sale for around $20 at some Sears stores.... but even at $31 retail it's a good bet for a useful 'bump in the night' light.

2. Might as well go with the new Mag 2 level 2xAA LED mini Mag. About $20 and a great kitchen drawer light. This usually comes with batteries.

3. Two Fenix 1xAAA LD01 keyring lights, one for each of them. They will both love you for these super useful and always available little jewels. They are tiny but VERY bright, have 3 levels, and come with a lifetime warranty if bought from 4sevens.com. About $85 for 2 (including shipping).

4. Add a 4 pack of AAA Energizer lithium batteries.... about $10.

5. Add a 4 pack of Duracell D cells, about $5.

Okie dokie...... that's about $150 .... and a nice bunch of lights. Make sure you get the NEW Maglites, as they have just recently come to market and there will still be some old stock on shelves too.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Wow - I'm overwhelmed with all the responses - thanks everyone!!

I'm going to have to print all this out and make a list with pics and start from there.

I really want to make a good flashlight impression on the couple. I have a horrible feeling that he was going to settle for a cheap'n'nasty budget light with nasty output.

I'm gonna have to work fast!!

Thanks again you guys!!:wave:

Latest posts