comp mouse is nuts

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The area on my desk where i use the mouse does not work to well, it jerky and such, if i move the mouse off to the side it works fine. whats going on. Its a microsoft optical mouse3000

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this happen when using a mouse on something that has a lot of repeating patterns. Optical mice work by detecting movement. I think what is happening is that it sees the same spot on adjacent patterns and it looks like huge mouse movements, but that's just a guess. Switching to a different mousing surface fixes the problem. If you don't like mice pads, there are flat mousing surfaces that you can put on your desk to improve performance. I have to use one at home because I have a glass desk that prevents optical mice from working.

1anrm

Enlightened
Also check to make sure there are no debris in the optical area such as dust, lint.. etc. Keep the optical sensor clean and the surface clean.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you have good batteries.
Mine has had eratic behavior in the past and it has either been dead cells or a little whack on the desk seems to fix it.:shrug:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
try to put a clean new sheet of white paper below the mouse and report back. tape the paper to the table with a scotch/duct tape so it does not move together when you swing the mouse around on top of it.
Generally optical mouse has problem with working on reflective surface
That, or your mouse optic has a defect or low battery like DeFAB said.
good luck! :)

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
its slow,,i just moved the mouse to another part of the desk again, and it worked fine. I already cleaned the mouse pad it still does not work, i even cleaned the desk under the pad and tried that, still does not work like it should, like on that other part of the desk where it works fine

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
its slow,,i just moved the mouse to another part of the desk again, and it worked fine. I already cleaned the mouse pad it still does not work, i even cleaned the desk under the pad and tried that, still does not work like it should, like on that other part of the desk where it works fine
The mouse doesn't track on a pad on a specific part of the table?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was using it on one part of the table, then for some reason i started using the skinny grey dell pad that came with the new comp. Everything was fine untill about 3 days ago.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look who made it. :p

Anyways if you use it on a mouse pad there is no physical reason it won't work other than a frayed cord anywhere the mousepad is. Clean the mouse and especially the bottom, probably dust or something. Like I said there is no reason it shouldn't work unless you are using it directly on the desk in which case it depends on what your desk is made of.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Kind of trivial, but make sure trash around your station isn't pressing a key on your keyboard! (Has pooched me several times!)

Larry