Brightest light with rechargables

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I'm looking for the brightest little light I can find that my wife can wear from a neck string. She goes jogging in the dark mornings and currently holds an AAA Arc in her hand most of the time then hangs it around her neck when the sun comes up.

I have a Fenix L0D CE I like a lot and it would work for her but I thought I'd check to see what else is out there.

I did a search and found the Nitecore D10 but it says it will fail with rechargeables. I'm using Eneloops and want lights that take rechargeable batteries.

A tactical mode would be very helpful also since she is a woman running alone in the dark. I'm thinking a single AAA or an AA if it was slim and takes rechargeables. Some of her runs take an hour and sometimes but rarely longer.

Thanks
Marc

HKJ

Flashaholic
A zebralight might work (The right most light in the picture), it includes useful accessories for different ways to carry the light: Headband, around the next and a clip (as on my picture).

Some AA lights:
DSC_3193.jpg

D10 works fine with rechargeables, both LiIon and NiMH

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Walkngdude :welcome:

From your post, I'm guessing that you want to stick with common battery sizes such as AA and not li-ion (18650 etc.)?

Avoid single AAA lights since these can't give you the runtime/output combination you are looking for. I'd say go for AA lights such as fenix L1T, L2T, L1D or L2D. For running at night off road, you need to be able to see the ground in front of you as it's easy to trip up over potholes, rocks and tree roots and twist your ankle (I've done this a few times). A 2AA light will easily fit into a pocket.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I did a search and found the Nitecore D10 but it says it will fail with rechargeables. I'm using Eneloops and want lights that take rechargeable batteries.

Huh? The D10 works perfectly on rechargeables of any variety. All high power AA and AAA lights work BETTER with NiMH rechargables.

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
There are not many tactical lights that are small enough to hang off your neck and jog. If she wore a sports style Neoprene fanny pack she could carry a 6P size light or TK11 with a decent strike bezel and strobe. Since she's a runner, the strobe might buy her a couple seconds to run away from someone!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D10 should work better with NiMh rechargeables then alkaline AAs because the rechargeable batteries handle the higher draw rate better.

The Zebralight might be a bit too floody but it is small.

There are many lights that could work. The more tactically oriented ones might be the Nitecore Defender Infinity and the Eagletac P10A. Both of them are larger then the D10 though.

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,
Your all always a great help and of tremendous value. I couldn't make up my mind so I bought both the Nitecore D10 R2 and the Fenix L1D from 4Sevens.Com.

They came today, very cool lights. The D10 looks quite a bit brighter and I like it better all around so I gave it to my wife. Too bad I waited until the week before the end of Day Light Savings Time before I had the moment of clarity to get the wife a better flash light. Now that the sun comes up at 6:00AM she won't need it until next fall.

I have an old Arc LSH-S 921 that I had serviced and upgraded by one of the guys here and the new lights blow it away. I also have a Leatherman Monarch 500 (that I received as a gift) rated at 145 Lumens I think and the new lites seem brighter though both older lites have fairly old batteries and I'm too cheap to throw them out just to do an accurate comparison.

I bought 2 packs of Tenergy "Ready to Use" Rechargeable AAA with my order because my beautiful wife keeps forgetting and throwing away the Eneloops I give her for her pager. The Tenergy batteries were not so "ready to use" I checked them with my Fluke multimeter and they were like 0.97 volts and that gives me the impression that they might have been sitting on the shelf in Iraq for eight years or something.

I was wondering if I could run 14500s in the new lites and if so would I see a great increase in output and runtime?

Also while I'm rolling along here and lost everyone except the one guy who has to get up and fold clothes after reading this post. I'm thinking of buying a really bright light to light up the parking lot across the street about 150 yards away or is this too far out?

Thanks again
A long time fan

Marc

pobox1475

Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying a really bright light to light up the parking lot across the street about 150 yards away or is this too far out?
Maybe a JetBeam III series light. I'm sure there are others too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
150 m isn't too far. The lights doesn't have to be bright, just have a narrower beam.

What size, battery, price, and runtime are you looking for?

Latest posts