surefire e2l cree 45 lum or e2l 3/60 lum?

jsonkim843

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is my first post on CPF but for awhile now I've been taking in a lot of information thanks to this wonderful site. I was wondering what is better (runtime, throw, brightness, etc) the newer Surefire E2l cree which runs cooler, or the E2l rated at low 3 and high 60 lums? Or is their a cree version of both? I'd really like your input!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!
They are both Cree E2L's. The 07 was 45L single mode. The 08 is 3/60L. Get the 08 either way, I have one and love it! I use low most often, but also use high when I need tons of throw - er, in newbie speak: "to see something at great distance." :grin2: Sorry, that was just for fun, I see you are already up on the lingo.
Both will say KX2 on the bezel. If it says KL1, then it is the older Luxeon version that is 30 lumens. None of them will get very hot, but the newer KX2 on high and the KL1 will get the most warm.

Hi this is my first post on CPF but for awhile now I've been taking in a lot of information thanks to this wonderful site. I was wondering what is better (runtime, throw, brightness, etc) the newer Surefire E2l cree which runs cooler, or the E2l rated at low 3 and high 60 lums? Or is their a cree version of both? I'd really like your input!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I was wondering what is better (runtime, throw, brightness, etc) the newer Surefire E2l cree which runs cooler, or the E2l rated at low 3 and high 60 lums? Or is their a cree version of both? I'd really like your input!

Welcome to CPF.

Besides the older Luxeon versions, there are 2 newer Cree versions of the E2L:

2007 - single brightness level, 45 lumens
2008 - two brightness levels, 3 and 60 lumens

I have the 2007 single level 45 lumen Cree E2L and it runs cool (temperature wise) no matter how long it is powered on. I use it mostly during nighttime outdoor walks due to the good throw, super long runtime, and high reliability.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. I agree with Blindasabat, get the '08 version. You will find more versatility with a two level light. 3 lumens is a good level for those up close tasks and having two levels will allow you to extend battery life. There are many tasks that do not require a high level especially if you are in a dark environment and your eyes have become dark adapted.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I was wondering what is better (runtime, throw, brightness, etc) the newer Surefire E2l cree which runs cooler, or the E2l rated at low 3 and high 60 lums? Or is their a cree version of both? I'd really like your input!
"Better" is such a subjective term... what's best for me, may not work for you at all. For example, sometimes brightest is not best, sometimes it is.

In general, I like lights with 2 modes (hi/low) for their versatility. That's one reason I love the SF L1.

However, these days I'm needing a light that will turn on at max every time. The single stage SF KX2C head is exactly what I was looking for (and then some more... that thing's amazing!).

So, as many times before... what will you be using this light for? That will help you decide what may be "best" for your needs.

jsonkim843

Newly Enlightened
The light will be used in mostly hiking/camping, I currently have a 6P LED and I absolutely love the light. I wanted to get a thrower and actually picked up the Fenix TK10 but wasn't that impressed the the light and have decided to return it. Don't get me wrong, the light is bright as day, but upon usage I noticed these annoying rings that bother me when I'm trying to identify targets at long range. As far as a quality illumination tool goes, I can't quite compare it to Surefire. So i've decided to go with long runtime which is extremely important to me and also good throw so I'm leaning towards the E2L even though it it has max lumen output of 60

prime77

Enlightened
If you have and 6PL and like that. Then I think you'll be thrilled with the E2L Two Stage 08 light. It will out throw your 6PL and have better runtime with the added use of low and a great UI. And if in the future you need a floody light you can use the SF F04 diffuser. Here's some reference beamshots off my front porch for ya.

002-5.jpg

007-4.jpg

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
I gotta agree with prime77. One of the best purchases I made in 08 was buying a couple of 2-stage KX2 heads for E2e bodies I have. The Surefire "60" limen high may surprise you. For general use, I run them with a 17670,(may not fit in newer E2L bodies). Going outdoors? Drop in two primaries for long runtime on high. The E2L 3/60 should be given some serious consideration.

Best Regards:
Bob

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the single stage 45 lumen model. The runtime is fantastic. 6-7 hours in regulation. I got mine on a E2 body with a McClicky tailcap. To protect the lense I put on a white cap that comes on camping propane cells. It fits perfectly and makes a darn good diffuser. A very soft white glow. I really like SF 2 stage lights but prefer the L1/L2/A2 switches. Not a big fan of clicking through the settings.

BTW welcome to CPF!

jsonkim843

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions about the E2L. Also thanks for the beam shots! I've decided to go with the 3/60 lum E2L. If you guys have any more beam shots, feel free to post them. (I always love seeing new beamshots)