should i buy nitecore?

E1B

Newly Enlightened
I already have an SUREFIRE E1B, and a LumaPower Incendio V2.
I am satisfied with both, but me being me i need, er, want a new light.
I'm lookin at the nitecore ex10 r2, should i even bother? never seen or held a nitecore product. i was kinda dissapointed in the lumapower build quality, but it had to follow a tough act, the E1B. is the nitecore going to be another cheapy light? or will it meet or exceed the surefire i will be EDC'ing all these in a rotation or use as needed. thanks for the input

:candle:

MKLight

Enlightened
IMHO the Nitecore is on par quality-wise with Surefire. I agree with you about LumaPower's look of quality. That said, people seem to like the Incendio. I have the original version and don't know what the difference is...I haven't looked, as the Incendio has spent most of its life with me in a drawer...

Go for the NiteCore. :thumbsup:

m16a

Enlightened
IMHO the Nitecore is on par quality-wise with Surefire. I agree with you about LumaPower's look of quality. That said, people seem to like the Incendio. I have the original version and don't know what the difference is...I haven't looked, as the Incendio has spent most of its life with me in a drawer...

Go for the NiteCore. :thumbsup:

I agree. The Nitecore lights are of excellent quality. You will greatly enjoy it if you buy one! :thumbsup:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Nitecore, you won't be disappointed. My Extreme w/ss bezel is my main EDC (belt-carried). I have carried larger lights; this light is built like a tank. I am not taking anything away from Fenix or Lumapower , just saying my Extreme is most valued tool.

STi

Newly Enlightened
I have one in my shopping cart but scared because i have read several times about the button being hard to press sometimes...If you watch that instruction video you can even see his thumb turn red trying to push it...I ended up ordering a Dereelight CH2 with R2.. BUT may still pull the trigger:confused::shrug:

E1B

Newly Enlightened
awesome, thanks guys, i prolly will go for it then. Yea the lumapower is not a bad light decent beam imo, i'm just scared to drop it lol nitecore it is then

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot of lights.....well I guess that would have to be quantified, heck DM51 probably has more A2's than I do flashlights, lol.........anyway out of all my lights I carry my Nitecore Defender Infinity everyday.

I don't think you would be disapointed with a Nitecore.

Bill

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Nitecores, I think all of their buid quality is excellent, but the one design that I love most is the Defender Infinity.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thread - I've been wondering the exact same thing as the OP but have been hesitant to pull the trigger.

Been wanting to get a dedicated AA light as all I have are Surefire cr123s, but the D10 sounds like a winner.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 has stopped my addiction for 9 months and counting. Awesome light, wish it came with a warm cree or a P4, but that is just wishful thinking.

E1B

Newly Enlightened
so the D10 or the EX10 the only diff is the batterys right? i do see more talk about the AA version i would love to have a AA setup seeing as i have all 123's lights......the only reason i was gonna go with the EX is that i have a stash of 123's, primarys and rechargeables...........any input

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to pull the trigger on the D10 as soon as the first couple of reviews on the r2 come out over the next few weeks...

I don't have ANY AA lights, except for when I run an M30 that way, but I have WAY too many cr123 based lights - so that is why I'm going D10 - time to pop my AA cherry!

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Get a Fenix PD20, I have both and was MUCH more impressed by the new Fenix. To each his own, I really prefer the Fenix over the Nitecore.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pontiaker; said:
...I have both and was MUCH more impressed by the new Fenix... I really prefer the Fenix over the Nitecore.

In what ways and Why?

Sorry for the shortness - on my blackberry :)

Last edited:

MKLight

Enlightened
so the D10 or the EX10 the only diff is the batterys right? i do see more talk about the AA version i would love to have a AA setup seeing as i have all 123's lights......the only reason i was gonna go with the EX is that i have a stash of 123's, primarys and rechargeables...........any input

Yep...the main difference is the type of battery...also the Q5 EX10 has a longer runtime over the Q5 D10. I believe this would be the same for the other emitters.

Good luck,
MK

brucec

Enlightened
Nitecore's lights are definitely up to par with Surefire quality. They are not as heavily built as Surefire, but the machining is really flawless (at least for my samples), anodization flawless with a perfect color match between head and body, great efficiency, great output, lightweight, uses 7000series Al. One word on Nitecore's PD is that it may take some cleaning, relubing, piston spring adjusting to get it to work right. But, some people have good luck straight out of the box. If you are not opposed to doing some disassembly and maintenance, the EX10 is a fine choice. If you want something that is plug 'n play, the Fenix PD20 is also great. I don't know about the R2, but the Q5 version will have Cree rings if that bothers you.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
In what ways and Why?

Sorry for the shortness - on my blackberry :)

I like the clicky feel of the switch, positive on or off. The PD20 is brighter, period. In all ways. It has more throw better flood,etc... I like the size and shape of the Fenix better though the EX10 does a better tail stand. I have seen a comparo of a EX10 that was just as bright as a PD20 but mine was not very close. I have since bought several PD20's for friends and relatives and each and everyone has been just as bright as the first one I bought. I like the Fenix UI, I mostly use the light only on high and I like to know the strobe is one click away and its a bright fast strobe. If I need low its a short but two hand twist away. I dont need 8 or 10 leves of brightness in ANY light I own, actually three are perfect for me and two work just fine in 99.9% of the time. I dont like the EX10 UI. As far as build quality, fit and finish they are both great. The EX10 might even have the edge here but they both are nice.
Matt

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I'm going to pull the trigger on the D10 as soon as the first couple of reviews on the r2 come out over the next few weeks...

I don't have ANY AA lights, except for when I run an M30 that way, but I have WAY too many cr123 based lights - so that is why I'm going D10 - time to pop my AA cherry!

That was going to be the nature of my reply- what is so nice about the Nitecore D10 is that you get great quality and design with stunning output using the much better AA battery instead of the harder to find and significantly more expensive CR123A cells.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yep...the main difference is the type of battery...also the Q5 EX10 has a longer runtime over the Q5 D10. I believe this would be the same for the other emitters.

Good luck,
MK

That would depend on your chemistry choice. Apples to apples (16340 vs 14500), the D10 has a LONGER runtime.

But because of the form factor, the D10 gives you MANY more choices as to how to power it. Alk, lithium primary, NiMH, Li-Ion, LiFePO4, etc.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course you should. :thumbsup:
If you don't want PD, then I suggest Nitecore Defender Infinity. Comfortably sized and great clicky feedback. :rock:

Latest posts