Surefire E2D LED -vs- Fenix P1D CE pics

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Surefire E2D LED today and the only thing that I have right now to compare it to is the Fenix P1D CE, which is interesting because of all the talk about how bright the E2DL is compared to it's stated 120 lumen output. Well, I put the E2DL (rated @ 120 lumens on high) against the older Fenix P1D CE (rated @ 135 lumens on high). See pics:

Pros:
Very bright on high (my tests show ~160+ lumens). Very useful low output for close up use (i.e. reading a map, walking through the house). Teeth can be used for self defense. TIR optic focuses the beam nice and tight without the need for a large reflector, while still giving plenty of surround light. Tailcap gives you the option to tailstand the light. Overall size of the light is pretty small. Very long run time on low setting. High beam comes on first by default in case you need to blind an attacker. You can change from high to low output by first turning on the light, then turn it off and back on in less than 2 seconds. You are now in low mode.

Cons:
Teeth can get caught on your clothing. It would be nice if the battery life on high were a bit longer, but most lights in this category give about the same run-time. Changing between modes can happen when you don't want it to. This happends if you press the tail cap switch momentarily, let off and press it again in less than 2 seconds. Uses 2 CR123A batteries which most stores charge an arm and a leg for.

Overall:
This is a great light for it's size and light output. I highly recommend it. Combine this with a Surefire F04 beam diffuser and you have a do everything light. Run-time test showed about 90 minutes of continuous output before rapidly diminishing.

e2dlasm2.jpg

e2dlbsm.jpg

This is what Surefire's TIR optic looks like:
e2dlefr.jpg

Here is a shot of the E2DL's teeth:
dsc6377.jpg

e2dla.jpg

Fenix P1D CE on the left, Surefire E2DL on the right (both at max output):

e2dlb.jpg

Surefire E2DL on high, camera set to manual exposure. (notice side-spill on the left)
e2dlc.jpg

Fenix P1D CE on high, camera set to manual exposure. (notice side-spill on the left)
e2dld.jpg

It seems that the Fenix, although rated slightly higher in output has a less intense hot-spot and less spill as well. This has already been discussed in other threads but it do think it's a good example for those who believe that just because the box says X lumens, that doesn't mean it's what you are really getting. YMMV.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
1) The P1D-CE is rated at the emitter (~100 OTF), the E2DL is OTF underated, which is actually ~200 OTF (both common knowledge)

2) You are comparing a keychain flooder with a tactical thrower. Yeah, sure....

Classic case of lux=!lumens

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) The P1D-CE is rated at the emitter (~100 OTF), the E2DL is OTF underated, which is actually ~200 OTF (both common knowledge)

2) You are comparing a keychain flooder with a tactical thrower. Yeah, sure....

Classic case of lux=!lumens

Actually I'm using the stated lumens provided by the manufacturer(s).
The P1D is anything but a "flooder". The KL4 with a luxV is a "flooder".

People are really touchy. All I did was post pics and state manufacturer's claims. Sorry if this is offensive or boring. :poke: :D

As for your "common knowledge" statement, it's interesting that just a few days ago someone placed a bet as to the output of the E2DL. Why would they place such a bet if it was common knowledge that it really puts out ~200 lumens? IIRC, it was this bet that lead to the discovery that at least one E2DL can put out 200 lumens. Other tests done are more in the range of 170.

The point of this thread is to show newbies not to "bite" at the highest lumen rating claim made by a manufacturer.

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
2) You are comparing a keychain flooder with a tactical thrower.

+1, not to mention 1x 123 vs 2x 123

Yet to see a E2D LED -vs- Fenix TK11 review thread, which would be more fair. Really pleased with my just-acquired-yesterday TK11 R2. Out-throws and out-floods my E2DL with easily more lumens OTF.

Still, nice review, though I think it's more of a boost to the P1D showing how it compares to the mighty E2DL.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, Your 3 days late and a few dollars short with this.

:dedhorse::xyxgun: I am pretty dang sure that horse is dead by now. :touche:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, this comparison sounds like a "apple vs. orange" comparison. Nonsense!

SF E2D is 2x CR123 and has optics (TIR lens).
Fenix P1D is 1x CR123 and has a tiny reflector.

:whistle:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that my E2DL is black HAIII and my Fenix is natural. That definately makes it unfair. :)

Sorry but like I said, the Fenix is all I got that even close for comparsion shots.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully, this comparison sounds like a "apple vs. orange" comparison. Nonsense!

SF E2D is 2x CR123 and has optics (TIR lens).
Fenix P1D is 1x CR123 and has a tiny reflector.

:whistle:

So we can't compare lights unless they are identical?
This is why I took a shot up close and another at a distance. Both shots show that they have similar size hot-spots, with the E2DL being a little bit larger. This holds true even at a distance as shown by the shots against my shed. Also noteworthy is that in the outdoor shots, if you look to the far left edge you can see the side of my house is illuminated better by the E2DL. This shows that this light is not just a thrower, but cast a good amount of light out the sides as well. It not only out threw the tighter hotspot of the Fenix but out "flooded" it as well. So I do see it as a fair comparison, since both spot and flood are shown. But, as I said in the first post, YMMV. :popcorn:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Good job with the thread Sean. People can get a lot out of this kind of info. It doesn't bother me if its 1 cr123 vs 2 cr123, or 1 cr123 vs 10 cr123, I'm only interested in Lumens side of things. Non cpf members will not know about OTF, emitter lumens etc. They will go by 120 lumens and 120 vs 135 is close in my books.

Marduke

Flashaholic
This is why I took a shot up close and another at a distance. Both shots show that they have similar size hot-spots, with the E2DL being a little bit larger. This holds true even at a distance as shown by the shots against my shed. Also noteworthy is that in the outdoor shots, if you look to the far left edge you can see the side of my house is illuminated better by the E2DL. This shows that this light is not just a thrower, but cast a good amount of light out the sides as well. It not only out threw the tighter hotspot of the Fenix but out "flooded" it as well. So I do see it as a fair comparison, since both spot and flood are shown. But, as I said in the first post, YMMV. :popcorn:

Most reviews compare lights in the same family at least. Keychain lights, pocket lights, tactical, thrower, etc.

And yes, the P1D is indeed a flooder compared to most lights, ESPECIALLY to a TIR optic.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, no... You can compare anything that you want. I like your thread, and I said that respectfully.

But even I (a noob) knows, without any comparison, that Surefire E2D will win over the tiny 1xCR123 Fenix P1D.

So, it´s a kind of "just for fun" comparison, with no real intent, IMHO.