Best OTC Lights?

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd start this thread to see what kind of response I'd get.

In short, if one was to go shop for a light around a chain store (Target, Walmart, Home Depot, etc etc and for me includes Fry's) What would flashaholics recommend?

I'm planning on going shopping tomorrow to see what kind of worthy lights are available at stores, but have a few requirements:

1) Uses common batteries (I'm looking for AAs, but AAAs, Cs, Ds will do since I'm just looking)

2) Both flashlights and headlights, since I might get a headlight some time in the future.

Otherwise, that's it, pretty broad category since I'm not looking for anything in particular. I know Inovas are available at places like Target, but afaik only one of their lights are 2xAA, the rest use 123s and the like.

So, I welcome any and all input, just curious to see how the lights exposed to mass consumers fare...

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Inova X1 takes 1xAA and can be easily found at Frys or Target.

Frys also has the new multi-mode mini Maglite LED. I think there have been sightings of this light at Sears as well.

Target carries the River Rock line of lights which is decent.

You can find some good Coleman lights at Walmart.

If you can check out Costco, they carry a Leatherman LGX 200 + Blast combo where the LGX 200 looks to be a rebranded Fenix L1T v2.0.

I think the Duracell Daylite lights can be found in places like Walmart and ACE Hardware.

Coast / LED Lenser lights can be found at Frys and they are ok lights (much improved over their offering a few years ago) but I believe (not 100% sure) they still lack regulation which I believe is the reason why not a lot of flashaholics favor them.

Home Depot has (had?) the Husky 2D which is a good throw light.

Lowes has their Task Force lights and they carry some of the Surefire lights as well.

If you go to a police / LEO / military surplus store, there is a good chance you can find some some Streamlight and Pelican lights.

REI carries Gerber lights.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart has the energizer headlights their is three different models.12.99 and up..I like all three of them and the 12.99 gets used alot around the house.All use AAA's.I would suggest target for your flashlights the Inova or Dorcy models.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always dislike these threads a bit, you can always find something decent, but is it really as good as what you can get online?

A few suggestions though I guess:

Look out for the rayovac sportsman extreme 4 watt

Lowes Taskforce

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
No, it's not as good as what you can find online, and I"m planning on getting a Fenix (still torn between the LD20, L2D (no Q5 anymore!), E20, and L2T)

I started this as a curiosity thread to see what to keep my eye out for when I'm browsing the flashlight section.

I frequently see brands like Coast and Dorcy as well as Energizer and Duracell, and dunno how good their lights are.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost picked up the Duracell Daytime light today wish I would have I think it was 2xAA 80 lumens,clicky tailcap and output was variable by twisting the bezel,looked like a good light to have around the house.I like my Coast light's their just not big performers and I think to expensive for what you get.I love my little Dorcy 1watt silver superlight.Alot of the Dorcy's are 3xAAA and have a battery magazine,I dont like that but the quality is good for price.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Ohh, I know a good question I wanted to ask. How can you tell what kind of emitter they are using by just looking down the head?

Besides being advertised (which some are), some of the LEDs are unmarked, and how can you tell the difference between a Lux3, Rebel, K2 or something else?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the 1AA Energizer Cree flashlight, available at some Target stores for $17.99 and Auto Zone for a few bucks more.

See this thread to learn how you can tell the difference between the old Luxeon version and new Cree version. They are sold in the same package with the same labeling so it requires careful examination to distinguish between Luxeon and Cree versions.

The dual level Leatherman LGX200 is packaged with the Leatherman Blast multitool at Costco for $25 - $50 for the combination. It is a relabeled Fenix L1T v2.

energizer1aa-protonpro-lgx200.jpg

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to use it stock, or with only an emitter swap, the best Walmart seems to have is a 3xAAA Coleman MAX for $20 or so. It has a Cree emitter, and a reasonably deep MOP reflector for a better beam than most such flashlights I've seen. Light output is about on par with a 3D Mag, using the stock emitter.

But the new minimag sounds interesting too -- I haven't even got one of the old LED minimags, though, so I can't really compare.

I won't repeat the advice about just buying online (unless you're looking to modify it), you know you'll get better lights that way... Whoops, guess I just did. ;)

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Inova X1 takes 1xAA and can be easily found at Frys or Target.

Frys also has the new multi-mode mini Maglite LED. I think there have been sightings of this light at Sears as well.

Target carries the River Rock line of lights which is decent.

You can find some good Coleman lights at Walmart.

If you can check out Costco, they carry a Leatherman LGX 200 + Blast combo where the LGX 200 looks to be a rebranded Fenix L1T v2.0.

I think the Duracell Daylite lights can be found in places like Walmart and ACE Hardware.

Coast / LED Lenser lights can be found at Frys and they are ok lights (much improved over their offering a few years ago) but I believe (not 100% sure) they still lack regulation which I believe is the reason why not a lot of flashaholics favor them.

Home Depot has (had?) the Husky 2D which is a good throw light.

Lowes has their Task Force lights and they carry some of the Surefire lights as well.

If you go to a police / LEO / military surplus store, there is a good chance you can find some some Streamlight and Pelican lights.

REI carries Gerber lights.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Very comprehensive list, now I know what to keep my eye out for. Yes, regulation is a very important feature imo, increases runtime and maintains a good brightness level...

fishx65

Enlightened
I seem to always pick up the decent department store lights. Here's a few I've picked up:

Energizer 1aa Cree Target
EOS headlamp ****s Sporting Goods
Dorcy 220 Lumen Cree Meijer (Awesome thrower!)
Coleman Cree headlamp Walmart
Rayovac 3C Cree Meijer ( I really like this one! )
POB HID Sams Club or Costco I can't remember. $19.99!!!)

Last edited:

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
One good reason for a thread like this is for recommendations to family and friends who aren't going to spend $50 for a nice flashlight.

You've convinced them that LEDs are better, and they just want to pick up a light at Target or Walmart to replace the $5 2D flashlight that's been in the kitchen drawer for the last 10 years. Even $18 is a stretch for them - heck, it's just a flashlight, right? Aren't they all pretty much the same?!? They know better than to say that around me...

Except for the ones with lumens ratings on the packaging (not that that tells you about regulation), I can't even tell what's worth buying at Target.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
^^ Exactly, and it seems all over the board with regards to what lights are acceptable. It seems every major brand makes a decent light, which makes it that much harder to choose.

Might go to a couple of stores today, see what they have, and see what y'all think

I'm looking to pick up a cheap headlight though, so lets see where that leads me.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Each brand and model LED looks different from the others. With a bit of practice, you can visually tell those differences, the same way you can tell a Toyota Corolla from a Ford Focus.

There are several threads here which have numerous pictures of each LED. Use the search function and you will find them.

fishx65

Enlightened
^^ Exactly, and it seems all over the board with regards to what lights are acceptable. It seems every major brand makes a decent light, which makes it that much harder to choose.

Might go to a couple of stores today, see what they have, and see what y'all think

I'm looking to pick up a cheap headlight though, so lets see where that leads me.

Check out the 3aaa Coleman at Walmart. It's shaped like a barrel. I think it's around $24.00. Nice beam and very bright!

Last edited:

seaside

Enlightened
I saw 2AA coleman at walmart, and thought its cool. 115 lumen, 7 hours sounds good too me. I have no idea how good that is though.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each brand and model LED looks different from the others. With a bit of practice, you can visually tell those differences, the same way you can tell a Toyota Corolla from a Ford Focus.

There are several threads here which have numerous pictures of each LED. Use the search function and you will find them.

With very few exceptions you can get a much better light for not much more money on-line.

While you can usually tell the different models visually you can't tell what bin is being used. That can mean a 100% difference in efficiency in some cases.

The latest 1AA energizer pictured above uses a Cree but it is and XR-C not an XR-E. The XR-C is less efficient and not as bright. Older versions use a luxeon and those are even dimmer.

One store bought light I can recommend is the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. But be aware if you go to a backpacking type store that has them they may still have old stock 25lm models instead of the latest 50lm models. Same goes with Surefire at guns shops. Old inventory is prevalent.

Latest posts