First Purchase, no idea what I am doing

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have been lurking on these forums for the last week or so searching and reading as much as I can about various lights. What do I want? I am not even sure really. For the most part, my initial search was simply based on a 'need' for my wife to carry around a light if she were walking late at night with our puppy and needed it for a more blinding application. However, with so much time reading, I started to want a EDC, and so am now stuck pretty much between an E2DL or a E1B. What makes it even harder, is that Paragon is having the E1B on sale at the moment, and I have never seen a E2DL in person and don't know how viable it is to carry in my jeans pocket. I carry my wallet and folding knife in my right front hip pocket, cell phone in my left front. I was thinking about carrying a light also in the left front hip (even if I had to start wearing my phone back on its belt clip).

I have no idea what I am doing, or what my 'needs' or 'wants' are, or if I even want to consider upgrade paths, primaries, secondaries, etc.

Help!

Thanks.

Edit:
Some things I have read about/thought about:
Buying off Ebay
Buying from an etailer like Paragon, lapolicegear
Buying from a B&M Retailer
Other lights, I really like the dual mode as I figure a lot of our use will be just walking along a path, or going to our mailbox which won't require the full output of a lot of lights.
I briefly saw a mention of somebody trying to figure out a way to carry the E2DL bezel down, but haven't seen any recent mentions if this has been accomplished.
We live in an area where there are bears around, will these types of lights deter them?

***Second Edit***
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

To expand a little further with some more thought. For the wife: to carry when it is dark as her light source, and to deter somebody from attacking her. Last line of defense for her would probably be pepper spray. For myself, I really would like a beam that throws far when walking in the dark wooded areas, as well as a low for around the house.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
__x__I am in North America. More precisely I am in Bellevue, WA.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x__I could spend $40-60.
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.

Limit of $150 as I have been looking at the E2DL, less is always better of course.

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

Not really sure what is feasible, but I carried my 2 AA Minimag last night around with me in my front hip pocket and it seemed fine.
__x__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
__x__4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:
Again, something pocketable. I tend to not like the lights with a huge head though from an aesthetic view.

__x__I prefer a long narrow light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

Rechargeable's would be nice, but otherwise don't really care.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__x__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)x---------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__x__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
__x__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__x__I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
__x__Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Is this light for you?
What batteries do you prefer?(there are some pretty bright AA powered lights)
What size?(fits in a half full pocket comfortably?)
Programmable modes?
Price?
Beampattern?
Throw or flood?

It might be a good idea to think over what you will use the light for and then post it here. From what I gather, general use type light. Many lights fit here, so battery, price, and beam pattern prefernces would help narrow things down.

The light probably won't deter a bear but one with enough throw might inform you of bears in the area so you can avoid them.

Between the E1B and E2DL, they both have the same beam pattern because they use the same reflector but the E2DL would throw further due to the extra output. The E1B is smaller and has a clip that works both ways.

:welcome:

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12 said:
Is this light for you?
Well uh... yea... its for the wifey, but I will probably end up carrying it more *cough*

Gunner12 said:
What batteries do you prefer?(there are some pretty bright AA powered lights)
Don't really have a battery preference yet, rechargeables would be nice, but not really sure as it seems people have used them with success for both the E1B and E2DL, so I don't think I would mind CR123's.

Gunner12 said:
What size?(fits in a half full pocket comfortably?)
I would settle if it fit in a empty pocket comfortably

Gunner12 said:
Programmable modes?
Doesn't really matter to me I think

Gunner12 said:
Under $149, although it has been tempting to just get both. E1B for EDC, and then E2DL on the end table next to where we take the dog out/power goes out.

Gunner12 said:
Beampattern?
Well, this is my first 'real' light (I have a 2AA mag light), so I don't think I really have that much of a preference

Gunner12 said:
Throw or flood?
Throw

For my wife, the main purpose would definitely be to blind a BG to buy her some time or deter anybody thinking about bothering her. For me, more of the same I suppose, although I would be more in the position to also use the E2DL to hit with (former Marine).

Hope that helps clears some things up :) Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Well to start I wouldnt try to "blind" someone with any light, no matter how bright; however kinda hard to say but just the light could be enough for the baddie to wait for an easier target

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, by 'blind' I simply mean deter somebody from pursuing something they should not be doing.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, The E2DL should be brighter. But it's more likely that the Mrs. will carry the smaller, sleeker E1B. It's a tough call.
The E2DL in the front pocket isn't for everyone. Depends on your pocket size and how tight you wear your pants. I generally use drop leg pockets for lights of the E2DL size.
SF sales are very rare, so maybe you should pick up that E1B.
Both are nice lights and if you hang around here you'll eventually buy the other one as well. ;)

saabgoblin

Enlightened
:welcome:Hello LuLu,
From what I have heard about strike/heavily crenelated bezels, most people do have complaints about the sharpness and discomfort at least in pocket carry. I will be receiving an E2d(Incandescent brother of the E2DL) in a few days and it will probably stay on my nightstand or in a backpack but for it to be useful in a defensive situation, I would recommend a holster as a carrying option should you go that route. The E1b comes on in it's high 80 lumen mode first and at night, that would be a nice little wake up call and from what I understand, Surefire underestimates their lumen output and the E1b would fit better in your pocket. The beam shots that I have seen on the E2dl and the E1b show a nice beam pattern with considerable throw so you should do a search on those two lights and I am sure that you will find some quality pictures to look over while making up your mind. Include "Beamshots" "Beam Shots" along with the model to weed out the fray.

The E2DL can easily be attached to a lanyard, while the E1b has no direct attachment point but it does have a more useful clip and size profile for pocket carry in my opinion and there are other tail caps that you can buy for easier lanyard/keyring attachment as well. There almost always seems to be a trade off somewhere so look around, prepare to be overwhelmed and have a good time. There are a lot of commercial sellers out there that will send you numerous free batteries and free shipping on Surefire products so search around for the best deal.

As a former Marine, I feel assured that you are probably skilled/trained enough to handle some hand to hand defense situations but you may want to ask yourself if you feel that your wife would be competent enough to not have an E2DL taken away from her and potentially used against her but then again, a bright flash of light without a last line of defense may be an issue as well so that question can best be answered by the two of you. Don't worry, we all know who the light is really for.:poke:

Hope that this helps and good luck in your search.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Well uh... yea... its for the wifey, but I will probably end up carrying it more *cough*

hmm.. i see.. u are giving a gift you like yourself hoping the recepient will give it to you...... but i do the same thing too :naughty::crackup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, E2DL is not pocket-friendly, being longer and with pocket-wrecking assault bezel. But it's my favorite 2x123 light so far for it's quality and brightness. So, unless your wifey is willing to wear cargo pants or a holster, she might be happier with E1B. Another pocket rocket to recommend is Dereelight C2H, my brightest 1x123 so far.

Did you say BEARS?! :eek: You don't need a light, you need a shotgun.

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Well, bears have been seen in the area, but they are not common. The only time my wife would be carrying it, would be on a walk with the dog when it is dark out. My thought process would be that it would just be in her hand. I may just end up getting both in the long run, or will investigate other options, so I guess what it will have to come down to is what I want more for my first light. And by 'my' I mean her.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the 2 mode changing thing might be a bit annoying at first when switching from a normal light. Something like the Nitecore Extreme, Defender Infinity, or Fenix LxT and TK series of lights might be a bit better. That is just my opinion. With the mentioned lights, loosen bezel = low(Fenix) or use set mode(Nitecore) and tight = high. But in a tactical situation, the Surefire E1B and E2DL might be better because they aways start on high unless changing modes(on-off-on within 2 seconds I think).

What about a decent single mode light? One of the much lower price ones to see if you like the output and runtime(2 LEDs won't have the same tint, inherate to the manifacturing process) of the LEDs? If you like it, you can keep it around as a back up, loaner, or leave in car type light.

Go to a sporting good store that sells Surefires and test out the light. The Fenix, Nitecores, and such you'll have to buy online or look for a friendly CPFer though(very few B&M stores sell them).

seaside

Enlightened
Well, I am not the first timer and still don't know what the heck I want. It takes some time to figure those out.

I am not sure a flashlight can deter bear or other wild animals. It's up to them, not up to what we believe. For people, yeah, bright light can blind them couple second, makes them confused. But what do you think could happen when they get back pissed? I would not rely on flashlight in any of that situation, so should you.

I think 2 mode light could be great choice. Light that too bright is not as useful as it seems to be in most everyday activities. Low light with wide spill is more useful and it does not hurt your vision. But you may need bright light too. I personally love to have 3 options with one light. Very low mode that does not bother other people, Medium mode that's for everyday household stuffs, High mode for outdoor fun.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
What ever you get , go for Multi mode , Hi - Med or Lo , I found single mode to be a little redundant after getting my first 2xCR123A Flashy .

Multi mode start @ $10USD [ UltraFire WF-602C Cree Q2-WC 5-Mode 150-Lumen ] , mine is still on order .

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
first off :welcome:

next, take a look at THIS THREAD fill it in, copy and paste it in the thread here (or edit your first post) and that will give CPF-ers a better idea of what you want and then sit back and let the recommendations flow in.

For me, i'd recommend the Jet III Pro Military: runs off CR/RCR123s or 18650 cells, has 2 modes. 1st mode : MAX (225 lumens), 2nd mode : programmable to your liking and includes sos, strobe. Alternatively is the Jet III Pro ST, has 3 programmable modes.

Do a search on those and see what you think. I find the Jet III Pro ST to be quite pocketable (even in business trousers).

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Edited to include some more information in my first post. I found this thread:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117 but the problem is I don't even really know what I am looking at from all the pictures. However reading quite a few more threads last night, beginning to wonder a little bit about the Nitecore and Fenix 1 cell lights in comparison to the E1B. In particular I think the D10 and Extreme, and the P2D. Granted, all of those lights probably don't have a fair chance against the E2D in output and throw.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited to include some more information in my first post. I found this thread:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201117 but the problem is I don't even really know what I am looking at from all the pictures. However reading quite a few more threads last night, beginning to wonder a little bit about the Nitecore and Fenix 1 cell lights in comparison to the E1B. In particular I think the D10 and Extreme, and the P2D. Granted, all of those lights probably don't have a fair chance against the E2D in output and throw.

The E1B will out throw all three of those lights (the NiteCore Extreme will be close though) and the E2DL will kill the E1B in throw.

I'd say go ahead and get the SF E2DL and get an F04 beam diffuser for it too. It will allow you to turn your thrower in a flood light when needed and will cover up the "teeth" of the E2DL when you want to protect your pants, jacket, etc. Best of both worlds! :) If you use your E2DL indoors or for anything other than spotting distant objects :D, you'll thank me for recommending the F04

-Robert

LuLuTheMonk

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, I think I will be deciding on a E2DL as my first light soon. I am thinking about getting some rechargeables. As far as my search results have found:

2x AW 3.7v rcr123's will work (where can I buy them + a charger?) The links to AW's thread in the marketplace isn't clear as to which battery is what for my noobness.

2x AW 3.0 LifePo4 might be the safer alternative, but shorter run time.

What kind of run times can I expect? This was the only post I could find:
Howecollc said:
Runtimes on the E2DL will be about 23 minutes with AW LiFePO4 3.2v RCR123s versus about 40 minutes with AW 3.7v RCR123s.

There was a link to buy some batteries here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=125353

But that post is 2 years old. Is there an updated one?

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
Lulu,

There is a thread about a Seattle area get together. It would be a place to see some other lights. I myself am from Maple Valley. Seattle Get Together Info

You will purchase one light and then start looking at others. I bought some flashlights for my family for Christmas this year after finding CPF :) I bought my mom an LD01, it is a single AAA with high, medium, and low. The size and build allow her to keep it in her purse all the time, or even around her neck on a lanyard at home. For my dad I got him a Nightcore D10 a single AA. That one is a piston mechanism that allows virtually any level of light. Pretty cool interface.

For Christmas my parents bought be an Aeon. That was a really cool surprise. It is a very small two level CR2 light that now lives in my coin pocket in my jeans. :)

You will probably shortly find that a single light isn't enough, and even if you had one for every pocket you will find a reason for more. :poke:

325addict

Enlightened
You want to take the light into dark woods? I just started a thread on this a week ago or something like that.

Bottom line was, that an incan light is indeed best suitable. Both the M90 Rattlesnake and the C3 Centurion, and a MagCharger were the winners. I took a P1D and an L1 LumaMax as a comparison, along with a mini-mag AA (this was, sad to say it, the overall looser in the battle) and a mag 3D with halogen bulb in it (not spectacular, but "usable").

I concluded that dark, wet roads for example, were hard to see with the cool-white LEDs. Here, incans work much better.

BUT be prepared: ALWAYS take a LED-backup with you, as you may know, an incan can (and will) break down in a moment, it better did not :whistle:

Timmo.