E2DL problem?

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
Every time I turn the light on high, and tap the tailcap (not even the switch just the scallops) the light automatically goes to low mode. Is this a problem that I should bring to Surefire or can I fix it myself.

Thanks

Michael

aussiebob

Enlightened
Oh yeah, i dont think its a prob but if you wrap some electrical tape etc around the batts to make them a tighter fit, it dosent do it anymore.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider that a problem. It's the kind of thing I'd expect from a cheap light. Is everything tightened up properly?

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap is pretty tight i would think. Any tighter I feel it would destroy the threads >.>. Ill contact Surefire on Monday.

ja10

Enlightened
My E2DL does the same thing, and I sent it into SF. I got a new head, new tailcap, and the problem remains the same. I got a knowledgeable rep on the phone, and he said that the same thing happens to his. He talked with the engineers, and it is simply the way it is.

It looks like they should have put in some sort of minimum delay for switching modes ... for example, if the light is off for less than .1 seconds, don't switch modes. Maybe that's not possible, but it should be :).

EasySt

Newly Enlightened
I have two E2DLs, both pretty fast (~0.3 seconds) switching, but neither of them switch when banging them around.

It thought it might be because I use 3 volt rechargeable UltraLast RCR123s in them, which are ever so slightly longer than SF CR123a's, and sure enough, when I switched the UltraLasts for SF primaries, both of my E2DLs exhibited the behavior described by the original poster.

Carefully and evenly stretching the spring 3/16 of an inch or so seemed to cure the problem when using primaries on mine, but I'll stick with the UltraLast RCRs for now. They're working just fine.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the problem of what happens when the positive end doesn't have a spring on it.

Mine doesn't have the problem because it's a single mode E2DL, but it doesn't have a spring at the positive end, so I see why it would happen.

Surefire is pretty new to multi-mode lights like this. It seems like a rookie mistake. :shrug:

jmerq9999

Newly Enlightened
Mine doesn't do this. I can tap it or bang it pretty hard on the kitchen table but it does not switch.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried tapping, then banging mine around and it doesn't even flinch. The tailcap spring is very tight on the batteries so I don't see how it's even possible to bang it hard enough for the batteries to loose contact. I did notice something else though. When I first got the light and unscrewed the tailcap, the light would come on for a split second while unscrewing the tailcap without pressing the button. The problem seems to be the spring was compressing and bending over far enough to just slightly touch the side of the body and make contact. So I carefully straightened the spring and no more problems. It was doing this that I noticed how much spring tension there is. Because of this, I don't see how the batteries could loose contact short of hitting it with a hammer. Maybe my spring is different?

I've tried banging my light with both Surefire and Panasonic CR123As. No problems with either.

Last edited: