9P with Malkoff M60 Question

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
In my other thread I recently tested a 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop-in for runtime.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835305&postcount=128

As noted in the original test "One thing to be aware of, this unit really puts out the heat. I tested it in an all-metal 6P and after 1hr the head was almost too hot to touch and the body was uncomfortably warm.".

This was in a 2 cell light. I now have a 9P host waiting at the post offce that I want to test the same way. My concerns/questions are:

1. Does anybody have experience with extended runtime on this combination?

2. I know that the drop-in will draw more power with the 3 cells in the 9P as opposed to the 2 cell 6P. Will this extra power overheat the drop-in?

3. Will the extra draw overdraw/overheat the batteries? (The 6P body got uncomfortably warm during the original test).

I want to see what the extra cell will do for runtime but don't want to :poof: a host or Makoff drop-in. Thanks for any replies.

C.P.T.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I have a Malkoff M60w and a 3x CR123 body but I've never tried to run it that long in one go. I can tell you the Malkoff won't be drawing any more amps from the cells so I don't see how it would get hotter than a two cell configuration.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my other thread I recently tested a 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop-in for runtime.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835305&postcount=128

As noted in the original test "One thing to be aware of, this unit really puts out the heat. I tested it in an all-metal 6P and after 1hr the head was almost too hot to touch and the body was uncomfortably warm.".

This was in a 2 cell light. I now have a 9P host waiting at the post offce that I want to test the same way. My concerns/questions are:

1. Does anybody have experience with extended runtime on this combination?

2. I know that the drop-in will draw more power with the 3 cells in the 9P as opposed to the 2 cell 6P. Will this extra power overheat the drop-in?

3. Will the extra draw overdraw/overheat the batteries? (The 6P body got uncomfortably warm during the original test).

I want to see what the extra cell will do for runtime but don't want to :poof: a host or Makoff drop-in. Thanks for any replies.

C.P.T.

You won't have any problems. I run my M60 on 2xRCR123 (8.4v off the charger) The module draws less current, ie, less load on the batteries than it would at a lower voltage. The body getting hot is a good sign, it means the module was transferring heat away from the LED into the body properly.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrapped my P60 P7 Malkoff in aluminum foil and the heat almost went away. Just wrap the module and be amazed at the difference.:twothumbs

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
I wrapped my P60 P7 Malkoff in aluminum foil and the heat almost went away. Just wrap the module and be amazed at the difference.:twothumbs

Wouldn't that mean that you stoped the heat from getting out to the body? That would not be good.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire D3 Defender. It's the same as a 9P, it just has a clip that runs the length of the body. I use 2x17500 Li-on cells with my D3 + Malkoff M60. It works just fine. No problems with the body getting to warm. I've never run it for the length of time that you did, but you might consider the free lumens option. It's a very nice setup with two cells in a 3 cell body. Just my 2 cents.

H.D.T. = Happy Dark Trails

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
.... I can tell you the Malkoff won't be drawing any more amps from the cells so I don't see how it would get hotter than a two cell configuration.

You won't have any problems. I run my M60 on 2xRCR123 (8.4v off the charger) The module draws less current, ie, less load on the batteries than it would at a lower voltage. The body getting hot is a good sign, it means the module was transferring heat away from the LED into the body properly.

Thanks for that info :thumbsup: Gene's site doesn't give the current draw for 3 cells. I was assuming a higer draw with 3 cells based on the Maglite drop-in which draws higher current for a 3D versus a 2D.

It's good to know that the body getting hot was the head shedding heat instead of the batteries heating up due to high current drain. I'll press with the 3 cell test this weekend and post the results. :)

C.P.T.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire D3 Defender. It's the same as a 9P, it just has a clip that runs the length of the body. I use 2x17500 Li-on cells with my D3 + Malkoff M60. It works just fine. No problems with the body getting to warm. I've never run it for the length of time that you did, but you might consider the free lumens option. It's a very nice setup with two cells in a 3 cell body. Just my 2 cents.

H.D.T. = Happy Dark Trails

Carnal1,

That sounds like a sweet setup. Unfortunately I haven't gotten too far into the rechargables yet. In fact, I just received some 'D' NiMHs for my Maglite so I'm a little behind the power curve on batteries. :p Depending on how the NiMHs work out I might have to venture into the rechargables for my CR123 lights. So much to explore.

C.P.T.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might say I know a bit about M60 runtimes in 9P. It has been my EDC for the last few months.

M60_tall.jpg

There is an illuminating thread on M60/M30 runtimes (if you haven't seen it already) and it touches on the issue of runtime of 9P a few times.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194879&highlight=Malkoff+M60&page=2

Anyway, I ran my own test.

Malkoff M60 in Leef body with Z41 tailcap and 2x18500 AW cells.

Timed the device, 2:17 hours. This is minute-for-minute consistent with how long it should run theoretically. With 123 primaries it should run 2:30 hours.

Did not get noticeably hot but I did point a fan at it just in case.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Timed the device, 2:17 hours. This is minute-for-minute consistent with how long it should run theoretically. With 123 primaries it should run 2:30 hours.

Did not get noticeably hot but I did point a fan at it just in case.

Just finished a runtime test of 9P + Malkoff M60F (full power) + 17500 x2. 1:33 off a full charge. No fan.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Gene does not deny that the M60 running two Li Ions or three CR123's will have more light output than the M60 with two CR123's. The LED will see more current, and you would notice, if checked, that the current draw from the batteries is not reduced, or if reduced is not reduced significantly, so the LED is seeing more current, and it should run a little hotter, but nothing to worry about, and there are no reports of circuit or LED damage.

Bill

I might have to take that back. Just saw your M60 runs with 6P and 9P.

Bill

Last edited:

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

bagman

Enlightened
I have a couple of 3 cell SF's with M60 modules in them and have never had a problem with them getting uncomfortably hot even for extended runs.

Are people just testing run time with the light not held in the hand or actually using the light.

Your body makes a very good heat sink when you are hand holding a light :D

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
bagman, yes testing without holding. Yes, holding light will remove some of that heat and runtime might be longer, and/or light might be brighter.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Thanks for the results.

I have come to realize that I want a bit more runtime than with 2x18500 cells. 3x123 cells are "OK" but I think I will run 2x18650 or 4x123 cells in a module.

It's not that 2x18500 offer poor runtime but they cut off suddenly. Need to carry spares. The primaries of course dim slowly.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Awesome. Thanks for the results.

I have come to realize that I want a bit more runtime than with 2x18500 cells. 3x123 cells are "OK" but I think I will run 2x18650 or 4x123 cells in a module.

It's not that 2x18500 offer poor runtime but they cut off suddenly. Need to carry spares. The primaries of course dim slowly.

4XCR123 for the M60?

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't say "M60", I said "In a module".

I understand Gene can build a module that takes up to 12V.