My new Peak Matterhorn 3-LED.

deusexaethera

Banned
After seeing how dim the Shasta and Matterhorn 1-LED lights are, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how bright the 3-LED version is. It's definitely brighter than the Arc-AAA DS that I lost. (The recent addition of a bare-metal reflector around the LEDs helps a lot.) The hotspot is clean and smooth, as would be expected from a light that mixes multiple beams together, and I've never seen a light so small and dim that could throw as far as this one does. There's almost no spill at all, in fact; just a slight bit of flood like every 5mm LED light has.

I wasn't happy with the quality of the battery tube, though; whereas the walls on my Shasta were nice and thick and the knurling was machined, it was clear from the slight buckling on the Matterhorn's battery tube that the knurling was stamped instead.

So, I ground down the positive contact on the back of the 3-LED head, installed it on my old black Arc-AAA body, and ritually destroyed the Matterhorn's battery tube using my bench grinder and a sledgehammer. :devil: The resulting Arc-Matterhorn is very nice indeed, for a pocket light.

deusexaethera

Banned
Pics for people who care -- and yes I know Arc-Matterhorns are an old old thing to do, but it still works well, and the people deserve to know dammit!

Gratuitous body shot:

CIMG3201.jpg

Note the new(?) reflective head, not shown on Peak's website:

CIMG3202.jpg

Yes, the beam really is that tight. I've never seen another 5mm LED flashlight like it:

CIMG3203.jpg

Here's the ground-down positive terminal, necessary to make the head fit far enough into the old Arc body. This took ~20 minutes of careful bench-grinding with repeated quenching in water, to prevent the epoxy seal from overheating and melting. Clear nail polish was added to cover the scrape marks on the epoxy, but not on the terminal itself obviously. :) Anyway, do this at your own risk, because it's fairly precise work, and bench grinders are not very precise things.

CIMG3204.jpg

This has probably been posted a thousand times before, but maybe it'll inspire the next batch of n00bs to send some love (i.e. money) to Peak. If I had it all to do over again, and I didn't have an old Arc-AAA already, I'd hit up Arc for an empty Arc-AAA body with the new, good black anodizing. Arc's knurling is, hands-down, the best I've ever seen on an AAA pocket flashlight -- mine made it through years of working on my car's engine with greasy hands, without once getting dropped into the engine bay. And with the 3-LED Matterhorn head, it's a whole lot brighter than even the new Arcs with the GS LEDs.

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good post! I've got a matterhorn on the way as well. It's a lowly single led model though. Driven at a scant 20ma for long runtime. I do love all the options that Peak provides. That triple looks like a cooker though. Gotta admit I'm kinda jealous.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Ok so Iam the newbie you sucked in, I have never seen this before. I have an old Arc AAA that has been laying in a drawer for years because its such a weak suck light the way it is. What and where for the Matterhorn? Is this a little light you can pick up somewhere? You have to grind the base of the matterhorn head to fit the Arc tube? The threads are the same? What about running a little more voltage to the three led head, possible? Stuff two little 1.5 batteries in the tube? What about a small 3v rechargable battery with a spacer to make it the same length as a aaa battery? Is the end product you have there brighter and better throw than like a Fenix LOD? Please help a brotha (newb) out! I was also lways impressed with how well the arc tubes were made and how nice the knurling and ano work was.
Thanks!
Matt

deusexaethera

Banned
Ok so Iam the newbie you sucked in, I have never seen this before. I have an old Arc AAA that has been laying in a drawer for years because its such a weak suck light the way it is. What and where for the Matterhorn? Is this a little light you can pick up somewhere? You have to grind the base of the matterhorn head to fit the Arc tube? The threads are the same? What about running a little more voltage to the three led head, possible? Stuff two little 1.5 batteries in the tube? What about a small 3v rechargable battery with a spacer to make it the same length as a aaa battery? Is the end product you have there brighter and better throw than like a Fenix LOD? Please help a brotha (newb) out! I was also lways impressed with how well the arc tubes were made and how nice the knurling and ano work was.
Thanks!
Matt
The Matterhorn is made by Peak LED Solutions. http://www.peakledsolutions.net (forgive the clunky website, it's a known problem.) I got the 3-LED version, with the higher "Ultra-Power" driver that is good for 110 candlepower in the center of the beam.

Yes, the threads are the same. Supposedly Arcs and Peaks are made at the same machine shop, or used to be anyway. The back of the head has a brass contact on it that I estimate to be ~3/32" long, and it has to be ground down for the head to screw in far enough for the O-ring to do its job. I don't know how the contact is attached to the circuit board, but I do know I destroyed a 1-LED Matterhorn head by grinding it too long and not cooling it off to keep the epoxy hard, and the grinder eventually tore the contact right off the board. :ohgeez: Oops.

The exact process I used to grind the contact down was, I held it lightly against the side of the grinder wheel for a quick count of five (probably 3 seconds), then dipped it in a coffee can of water, then tested it on my lip to make sure it was cool before repeating. When I got the contact almost flat with the back of the head, I switched to using a sharpening stone so I could be more precise. It took ~20 minutes total to do it just right. Then I coated the epoxy with a single coat of clear nail polish, being careful to not get any on the contact itself. I was going to put a bead of silver solder on the contact, but I decided there wasn't enough room to do that and I'd end up grinding it all back off anyway.

The hotspot on my Arc-Matterhorn is about as bright as the L0D on high mode, but it doesn't have the spill. That doesn't really matter to me though, because I use my Arc when working in small places where I don't need spill anyway. Here's a beamshot of the two together:

CIMG3205.jpg

My camera liked the light from the L0D better, and it keeps showing Peak's "snow" LEDs as a lot bluer than they really are. In real life, they are different colors as shown, but the same brightness in the center of the hotspot. My informal testing shows it's good for lighting up license plates and reflective stickers about 50 feet away. (at night, duh.) Best of all, despite its brightness, Peak says it'll run for 12 hours on an AAA battery (probably ~5hrs to 50% brightness), vs. the 1-hour rating for the L0D on high. (You could put an AAA-size 3.6V lithium battery in there, but be forewarned that it doesn't have the circuitry necessary to protect the battery for you.)

Interestingly, the Matterhorn's head makes a hissing sound when turned on, almost like the sound a drop of water makes when it hits a hot frying pan, only much, much quieter. (I only noticed when I held it to my ear.) Something to do with the voltage booster circuit, I guess. It's also the only 5mm LED light I've ever seen that actually gets warm! Not as warm or as fast as the Arc6 or any other super-LED light, but it does warm up. I don't forsee it causing any problems down the road, though; it's not that much heat.

Last edited:

deusexaethera

Banned
Oh, that reminds me: I now have a hollowed-out 1-LED Matterhorn head, if anyone wants to do something cool with it. My "hammer + flat-tipped nail" trick worked again. :devil:

scout24

Flashaholic
All right, twist my arm why doncha? my matterhorn 1led shipped yesterday, now I'll order a 3led version before the other one even gets here. Thank you for the pics, not many Peak reviews out here...Got and will get the lug bodies, loved my CMG Infinity years back. The Arc body mod looks cool.

deusexaethera

Banned
Yeah, I'm toying with ordering a custom nickel-plated McKinley. Can't decide if I want to spec Nichia DS LEDs or not.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will Peak do the nickel plating? Have you decided if you are going with Aluminum or Brass. I know Aluminum has been done before with success. But brass would be so smooth. Unfortunately I don't think there are any more brass lugs, I called about it last week.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Reading this thread made me want to dig out my old 3-LED Matterhorn. Here's what the old original style looked like before they had to redesign the heads. I'm using a lug body from a single red LED prototype with the 3-LED head. This body's also just a tad short for this head. Usually I'd just intentionally crush the + end of the battery (alkaline) a bit to get the o-ring down in the tube enough. Doesn't see too much use any more, except playing, and when I need a whiff of brass.

SN853312.jpg

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
The 3-led Matterhorn is brightest when the battery is brand new. It gets dimmer rather quickly, though total runtime (with the reduced output) is fairly decent. I have an Ultra powered model with Snow-23 leds, I think. If I were buying one again I'd probably go for a lower powered configuration, for higher efficiency. Maybe even with Nichia GS leds despite their beam artifacts and color cast.

Btw, for close-up use, I like a flood beam a lot better than a narrow beam. I think the Snow-23's have a bit more flood than the newer Snow-29's, though they be less total efficient at a given power level.

paulr

Flashaholic
Peak is sometimes willing to build lights to user specification if you phone them and ask for it, I've heard. You might have to send them the leds yourself.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

in september 2006 I bought a 3led (snow) matterhorn ultra and was somewhat underwhelmed by it's output. Output was somwhat like an ARC AAA CS at that time. I sold that Peak.
In 2007 I bought some matterhorns again: 1led snow high output. Output was comparable to an ARC AAA BS, certainly not more.
(All these comparisons with alkaline and freshly charged nimh)

In 2008 I bought some Fujiyamas... wow! More output!
1led snow high output Fujiyama: Somewhat like an ARC AAA CS
3led snow high output Fujiyama: Somewhat like other flashlight that are 15 lumens. (it compares to a Peak Pacific lux3 2AAA, MJLED in a minimag, SF L2 on low, Fenix L2T RB80 on low, Microstream)
It outperforms a Fenix E1, Terralux TLE20, Inova Bolt 2AAA, which are 10-12 lumens lights)

As a Fujiyama has a similar output as a Matterhorn, but flat-regulated, I wonder if Peak has changed/upgraded their leds recently.
My 3 led (HP) Fujiyama has an output that is in another class than the old 3led (UP) matterhorn.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_matterhorn_3.htm

Does someone know if Peak upgraded leds? :confused:

Kind regards,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
Unless you powered your Matterhorn with a Li-Ion cell, the 2-cell Fujiyama would have a sizeable/double voltage advantage.
Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
It seemed that Fujiyamas and Matterhorns were always sold with the same listed output. The Matterhorns however drop quickly because of poor regulation, after a few minutes, while the Fujiyamas remain at the same output because of "ruler flat" regulation. This is why I absolutely love my 4 Fujiyamas.

Peak lists output of both models as follows: (candlepower)
1led HP: 37
3led HP: 79

Kind regards,
Joris

22hornet

Enlightened
Reading this thread made me want to dig out my old 3-LED Matterhorn. Here's what the old original style looked like before they had to redesign the heads. I'm using a lug body from a single red LED prototype with the 3-LED head. This body's also just a tad short for this head. Usually I'd just intentionally crush the + end of the battery (alkaline) a bit to get the o-ring down in the tube enough. Doesn't see too much use any more, except playing, and when I need a whiff of brass.

SN853312.jpg

Geoff
Thats a beauty. I love the individually recessed leds and the "ARC"-knurling. Real nice!

Joris

Latest posts