Need something for a tactical mount

blinded_by_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a flashlight to mount on my M4 Carbine. This will be mounted to the left accessory rail.

It's important that the light has good longevity out on the field, I'm looking for a good 1-2 hours of life per charge. It also has to be able to withstand strobing for morse code.

I don't need one super bright, but something bright enough to light up a good area of the room and strong enough to blind a hostile.

The front doesn't have to be fancy, portablilty is key. And I also want to be able to activate this light via squeeze on my pistol grip.

My budget is rouhgly $200 for a light. :sssh:

corrections operator

Newly Enlightened
Wolfeyes, Fenix, and Urnabeam all have quality lights w/ pressure switches available and would probably fall under $200 after the dust settles. Other than that there is always Surefire, but the dedicated weapon lights start at $300+. Even adapting one of the regular models of Surefire to a weapon may run you over budget, unless one of the smaller variants will fit your needs.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity..

Who uses morse code?

Lights with a strobe feature strobe at a certain rate. It would be impossible to do morse code out of it.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for simple. Surefire G2L and a tailcap. if you shop around on Marketplace, usually Dafabricata has some weaponlight components. most importantly is the tailcap system and tailswitch. very reliable. but can get pricey.

Then you need to think about what type of mount for the light.

Or you could go this route. forward grip that accepts 1" diammeter lights. there is a button in the back that activates the light.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=225&cID=12

blinded_by_the_light

Newly Enlightened
Wolfeyes, Fenix, and Urnabeam all have quality lights w/ pressure switches available and would probably fall under $200 after the dust settles. Other than that there is always Surefire, but the dedicated weapon lights start at $300+. Even adapting one of the regular models of Surefire to a weapon may run you over budget, unless one of the smaller variants will fit your needs.

Yike's that's what I was afraid of. Currently I'm on a right budget and would love a dedicated weapon light instead of modding a light.

Thanks for your input guys!

steed77

Newly Enlightened
This is easy... I JUST added one to my AR... 137.00 and that leaves room for a malkoff drop in and pressure switch. :)

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_18&products_id=7

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=78

Not sure if the hotlink will work

P1012008.JPG

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a surefire it would probably be a good idea to get a malkoff dropin for it. You did mention that you wanted 1-2 hours of battery life per charge, so does this mean you want a rechargeable light? Surefires aren't really made with rechargeables in mind, although one of their p60 lights with a malkoff M30 would work for lithium ions.
If you are going to use cr123's, then surefire would be fine, But a malkoff dropin would make a surefire much brighter.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the others. Surefire 6P + Malkoff dropin. Then contact brightflashlights.com and order a pressure switch for $23. I just got this switch last week and it appears to be very high quality. I also like the Viking Tactics offset flashlight mount for $20.

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
If you are looking to buy a new light I would suggest a
Fenix Tk-11 with a fenix remote switch and an adapter for your rail.
The fenix will accept cr123 primary cells or a 18650 li-lo recharge cell.
and has two power levels by turning the bezzel.
The price of light switch and adapter is well under your 200 limit
and I would suggest you look at the new safariland Rapid Light System,
as it can be removed quickly if the light switch stays on:mad:
[Lights make good bullet magnets:sick2:]

nzgunnie

Enlightened
The CPFM often has Surefire scoutlight listed for less than $200. You could post in the WTB section I'm sure you'd get an offer or two.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-exte...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I'm thinking of getting one for myself, but it'd be nice to have a light to dedicate to such use. Throw-lever ARMS style mount, which is nice. You could either use a 6P with a P90, or any 9P-compatible LED solution, or a 9P with a Cabela's 12v mini-turbohead for a poor-man's M4 setup and a bit of throw. Also, most of these incans I'm suggesting are probably limited to about an hour; if you want oomph and runtime, a Fivemega 3P clone, an 18650 (li-ion battery), and a Malkoff P7 prototype should come in with plenty of budget for a tape switch.

Latest posts