Leatherman Serac S2 runtime question

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Serac S2 and love it, VERY nice neutral tint and great beam quality, better than my LD01. Anyway, looking at a runtime graph from Chevrofreak, you get about 6.5 hours on low with an NIMH battery in the S2 with about 6.5-7 lumens. Now looking at a runtime chart for the LD01 stainless on the light review site, they claim you get 3 hours 50 minutes off an eneloop putting out about 10 lumens or so. Why does the S2 run so much longer on its low setting, despite being only about 3 lumens lower than that LD01's output?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just got a Serac S2 and love it, VERY nice neutral tint and great beam quality, better than my LD01. Anyway, looking at a runtime graph from Chevrofreak, you get about 6.5 hours on low with an NIMH battery in the S2 with about 6.5-7 lumens. Now looking at a runtime chart for the LD01 stainless on the light review site, they claim you get 3 hours 50 minutes off an eneloop putting out about 10 lumens or so. Why does the S2 run so much longer on its low setting, despite being only about 3 lumens lower than that LD01's output?

The LD01 low and medium levels are not correct. They are spaced far closer together than advertised, leading to the disparity.

The L0D-Q4 runtime on low and high is more akin to the S2.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think could be different PWM of the LOD and S2 that gives the longer runtime on low but don't know as it could also be what Marduke said. Whatever it is the trade-off for double the runtime on low is worth it. Yea my beam on the S2 is just great. I tested it next to a friend's LOD-Q4 and the low and high was the same. Both lights are made by Fenix. I believe the S2 is a two mode LOD with a darn nice beam and tint. Had another S2 that I gave away and it also had the nice tint and beam. I still don't know why the S2 does not get the same press as other Fenix lights around here. Everyone wants a LOD with clicky and tons of people mod two lights for this. But they can just buy a S2 however there is no med setting not that this has been a big issue for me as they are spaced far apart

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think could be different PWM of the LOD and S2 that gives the longer runtime on low but don't know as it could also be what Marduke said. Whatever it is the trade-off for double the runtime on low is worth it. Yea my beam on the S2 is just great. I tested it next to a friend's LOD-Q4 and the low and high was the same. Both lights are made by Fenix. I believe the S2 is a two mode LOD with a darn nice beam and tint. Had another S2 that I gave away and it also had the nice tint and beam. I still don't know why the S2 does not get the same press as other Fenix lights around here. Everyone wants a LOD with clicky and tons of people mod two lights for this. But they can just buy a S2 however there is no med setting not that this has been a big issue for me as they are spaced far apart

I was under the impression that the LOD and LDO1 were noticably brighter than the S2.If the S2 is as bright and has as good or better runtime I am also surprised that it does not get more attention.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
They are, though outside at night in real use, not tremendously, also the Fenix lights have a tighter more defined hotspot with slightly dimmer spill, while the textured reflector S2 has nice bright spill and smoother transition from the hotspot to the spill. My LD01 has a warmish yellow tint. My S2 is pretty neutral white, which I prefer. They really are two very different lights, I like both, but the S2 is more user friendly with its tail switch operation.

Woods Walker

They are brighter.

Not per the charts I have seen or my own eye. I think the greater spill of the S2 makes the LOD appear brighter but not in reality.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212996&highlight=leatherman

I think they both start off at around 60-70 lumens and drop a bit fast. But also the LOD-Q4 I looked over could be less bright than the average as there is that lottery thing going on. For that matter my S2 could be brighter. Still I feel they are both the same once the beam is taken into account. In anycase the S2 lights up a good section of the woods for a 1XAAA light.

Edit...I tried to use the search function to look up a LOD-Q4 chart to double check but oh man that search function is hard...Just can't do it....

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Not per the charts I have seen or my own eye. I think the greater spill of the S2 makes the LOD appear brighter but not in reality.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212996&highlight=leatherman

I think they both start off at around 60-70 lumens and drop a bit fast. But also the LOD-Q4 I looked over could be less bright than the average as there is that lottery thing going on. For that matter my S2 could be brighter. Still I feel they are both the same once the beam is taken into account. In anycase the S2 lights up a good section of the woods for a 1XAAA light.

I have compared them with ceiling bounce and there my Fenix's wins over the S2, but not by much.

Woods Walker

Hummm I wonder if that is the lottery as they looked about the same to me. Anyone know of a LOD-Q4 chart on CPF with lumens listed? I know the S1 and E01 uses the same LED etc as these are both made by Fenix also however the S1 is brighter and has a better tint. However like you said not by much so this has me thinking LED lottery. But am no expert on these kinda things.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The S2 being slightly dimmer on average is probably just a function of Leatherman not specing a premium bin like Fenix does with their own models. There is probably more variability.

Woods Walker

That is a possibility too but from the two S2s I have owned the LEDs were perfectly centered the tints great and beam fantastic. Also the anodizing was top notch and machining nearly perfect. It is like Leatherman demanded the best and got it. Only issue was the switch being a little too sensitive. This can cause a little flickering sometimes for a second when a gentle tap is given to push up or down the modes however it is nice to move around modes like a mini L2D. So it is hard to believe they would go cheap on the LED. Also mine seemed just the same as the LOD-Q4 I tested but not owning one I could never do a ceiling bounce test. We are talking about a bunch of hunters hanging out in tents with wood stoves taking about of all things dead deer and flashlights/headlamps. Hardly conditions conducive to scientific comparisons.:shrug:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I would doubt that a big box company would spec Q4+ only bins. Most likely, they speced P4+ from Cree. Now, statistically, most of those would be Q2+ in reality, but you could be getting from anywhere in that range. To the average person, the difference would be negligible.

Woods Walker

You could be right. Maybe one day someone with the correct equipment will do a comparison chart of both lights with lumens and runtimes etc. They are real nice lights however. So far I have not purchased another AAA as my E01, S1 and S2 do everything I need. I think the beam/tint/brightness of the S1 is a little better than my E01 but guessing this maybe just the variations within the GS? LEDs. Still the E01 is just an overall great light. Also like the beam of the S2 with what seemed to me greater flood than the LOD. But really liked the LOD too. Checked out a PID also. One guy uses a H30 and PID for his spike camp. All things ultra light. Same goes for the people I hang out with that do the AT. Durability of UL is the most important factors. People would be surprised at the lights these guys pull out of their packs. Kinda like a whos who from the CPF most liked list.:cool:

Last edited: