Starting a Diamond Dragon flashlight project, need help!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I am going to recieve one diamond dragon led in a few days (Thanks Shutter :wave:) and want to make a Mag mod with it.

Here is what I have in mind.

Option 1

RCatR aspheric mod, using a Brightlumens P7 heatsink on a 50 x 38 mm SS aspheric, I want to have multiple brightness settings with a high of 1.8 - 2.0 amps to the led. driven by one Li-ion "C" battery from AW.

Option 2

FM 2.25 "C" with throwmaster reflector using P7 heatsink using 2 AW "C" in paralell for 3.7V 6,600 mah capacity, I might try a 70 x 65 mm SS aspheric for throw, also with multiple brightness settings with a high of 1.8 - 2.0 amps.

Now the driver,

I want to figure out a good driver that has modes and can drive the led at up to 2 amps on high.

Several options here

I dont know if DX 7882 driver can handle the constant 2 amps on high or only for a small period of time

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7882

Another one would be a 1.2 amp 7135 driver with modes

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1696

And add 2 or 3 7135 350ma circuits to get 1.9 amps, I have a spare 7135 driver where I could salvage the drivers from.

Option 3

Combination of 7135 and another slave driver to get me around 2 amps like StefanFS did.

Option 4
Bi flupic for 2.4 amps on burst or maybe If I can get one with a limited burst of 1 amp per channel for 2 amps burst.

Do you think the DD can throw well with an aspheric or a throwmaster reflector? I am assuming that the DD can be heatsinked well on a Brightlumens P7 heatsink and that it could handle the heat of a 2 amp led.

What do you think about the driver combinations? Am I missing another good driver with modes that can give me 2 amps on high?

Thanks in advance for your toughts and suggestions.

Sincerely
AlexGT

Edwood

Enlightened
Would probably be better to keep the drive current around 1.4A to 1.8A. It is rated up to 2A, but with serious reduction in lifespan.

-Ed

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but considering how technology advances even if it gives me a couple of hundred hours runtime by the time its ruined or brightness decreases significantly there will be probably better brighter replacements available ready to take its place.

AlexGT

tekuryuu

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6D mag that I have been wanting to put a Diamond Dragon into. If you get your design working, I'd be interested in talking with you about buying one from you.

I'm also REALLY interested in finding a Diamond Dragon in a D10 or EX10 shell. Short battery life and duty cycles are fine for my purposes.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6D mag that I have been wanting to put a Diamond Dragon into. If you get your design working, I'd be interested in talking with you about buying one from you.

I'm also REALLY interested in finding a Diamond Dragon in a D10 or EX10 shell. Short battery life and duty cycles are fine for my purposes.

The only problem with a DD in a D10 or EX10 is that those hosts will not push the DD to it's potential, they are both around 500mA on high and you really need to be at 1.2 or better IMHO. YMMV.

Arewethereyetdad has a Ti EX10 with a DD on the BST for sale.