Which Nitecore Extreme

Bow Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I have been lurking and reading here for 2 1/2 years and finally brave enough to ask a question. I have acquired quite a collection of LED lights thanks to all I have read and learned from all of you. I have a Fenix P1.. Inova T3.. FenixP1 CreeXR-E.. Fenix P3D.. Jetbeam I Pro.. Nitecore Defender Infinity.
My question is which Nitecore Extreme HA to buy.. The R2 edition or the Goldon Dragon Plus???
Any help would be appreciated..

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have the Q5 and definitely would go with the R2 to stick with the Cree. The Extreme is all about power. ;)

Marduke

Flashaholic
GDP will be dimmer, bluer, and have shorter runtime on average. That's why NiteCore is discontinuing the GDP.

Axion

Enlightened
I'd go with the R2. The main advantage to the GDP IMO is the smoother beam profile, but my Q5 has a smooth enough beam as it is.

Now if I could get a 5A extreme I'd make the trade in a heart beat.

Kato

Enlightened
I've owned both the Q5 and GD+ versions. The GD+ had a smoother beam, but the Q5 was noticeably brighter. I wasn't white wall hunting, so the Q5 worked best for me.

I agree with the others. Get the R2. :D

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the R2 really brighter than the GDP? The specs states that R2 is 220 lumens while the GDP is 200 lumens both with the same runtime. I only have the GDP version and I love the beam profile, so I cannot even compare in terms of which one is brighter. If it's true a 20 lumens difference between the two, I don't think I could even tell.

ja10

Enlightened
I just ordered the R2. Sure, the Q5 isn't much dimmer, but the Q4 isn't much dimmer than the Q5, and the Q3 isn't that much dimmer than the Q4. Granted, you can't get a Q3 Nitecore, but I guess my thought process was, "With a fully adjustable light, why not go brighter?"

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the R2. Sure, the Q5 isn't much dimmer, but the Q4 isn't much dimmer than the Q5, and the Q3 isn't that much dimmer than the Q4. Granted, you can't get a Q3 Nitecore, but I guess my thought process was, "With a fully adjustable light, why not go brighter?"

My main reason is because I didn't like the CREE ringy beam pattern and the GDP looks much better to me. I guess I'm just different :shrug:

ja10

Enlightened
My main reason is because I didn't like the CREE ringy beam pattern and the GDP looks much better to me. I guess I'm just different :shrug:

That's fair. I've seen different beam shots, and it looks like the Cree can be hit or miss in terms of the beam. I'm hoping for a "hit" :)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the R2. The main advantage to the GDP IMO is the smoother beam profile, but my Q5 has a smooth enough beam as it is.

Now if I could get a 5A extreme I'd make the trade in a heart beat.
They are available... From nitecore to one of the distributors, but not the american one. :shrug:

img0075e.jpg