Any user criticisms of the A2/L1 switch?

Size15's

Flashaholic
JohnK wrote: "I have heard many critisisms of the Surefire A2 system as well, with the clickie/twistie complex stuff."

JohnK, Please can you show me these criticisms?

I'm not aware of these criticisms and as I have an A2, I'm having a hard time understanding why many people would say the switch is complex to use. Based on my reading of CPF and other online forums - A2 users find the two-stage pressure switch very simple and easy to use.

For A2/L1 users - Please can you give CPF your feedback on the switching - the physical use as well as the concept of two-stage switching.

It appears I've been blind to the many reports.

Thanks!

Al

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
It's just like driving a car. Push the pedal lightly to go slow, push all the way to go fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only gripe i have is from lockout to high beam is alot of twisting. and some early models evidently exspose the o-ring.

i twist the tailcap down until i can just activate the main beam, i carry it this way. at best the led's will activate, which means nothing in battery drain as they're led's!

i also carry my E2e this way and it rarely turns on, only when i'm bending over twisting to reach something from a seated position will it occasionaly activate.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
E__WOK said:
It's just like driving a car. Push the pedal lightly to go slow, push all the way to go fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zackhugh

Enlightened
I love the two-stage switch on the A2. It's easy to use and the functionality is what gives the A2 the opportunity to replace two separate lights (unlike the less elegant switch of the Nuwai lights).

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Well, my L1 arrived today, and I have no complaints. It was easy to lock out to just low beam, and even easy to unlock high beam with one hand, thanks to the classic Surefire sharp knurling.

The only complaint I have about the surefire switches, and it's valid with one stage or two stage, is that if I'm trying to keep it on for a long period, my thumb relaxes and I get flickering. That's when I remind myself that I have a brain, and with a twist the light's on fully.

I definitely prefer this type of switch - push on momentary with an option for full on that uses a different motion. Most of the time when I'm using a light, especially a small pocket type light, I only need it for a few seconds. Very convenient with this type of switch.

I'm thinking the L1 is going to be a perfect in-the-tent light - easy to figure out how to turn it on (versus picking up a tangle of headlamp and strap and trying to orient the thing) and low-beam ought to give enough light to find my rolaids without too much, while high is enough to get to the toilet (or cooler). No more holding my hand over my light trying to tame the beam! I'll have the aurora for cooking or walking, and the E2E to see what the noise is about or touch up my tan.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clickie would work better for me. With twist selection for low/high beam...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the two-stage operation of the switch on my L1. I find it to be perfectly reliable and easy to use. I like being able to walk around with it twisted on to low mode at night, and then push for more photons as needed.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The momentary switch works really well for the LEDS.
However IMHO, takes too much pressure to operate the incan.

I rarely use the rotary switch of the Surefire lights, and I have been carrying one or another for 12 years.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
tkl,
But the actual switching of the A2 is okay for you?
No trouble working out how to use it?

Al

[/ QUOTE ] none at all. i really like the "springy" feel to the switch. i twist the cap down to where i can activate the main lamp and led's, no problems with the main lamp coming on. i don't lock it out, too much twisting.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Criticism? not from me and I don't see the O-ring exposed when in lock-out position. FC mentioned clickie. Al, any possibility that SF will launch a clickie of any type for the A2?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I have both the A2 and the L1, and between the two switches, I find that they're identical in operation and work without any difficulty at all; sponge-pressure effect for low-light, then a slightly harder press for the higher output. Curiously enough, this "soft-pressure" switch (for the low-output) gives plenty of feel to the switch... I find this to be much more useful in tactile feel because I use those lights primarily for their low-output settings. The higher output option is just a major bonus, particularly for the L1.

Just a side note - I only wish the 10X had the same positive feel to their two-stage switch.

So all in all, with repeated and somewhat abusive use of my A2 and L1, I've yet to experience any problems with the tail switch. I can't think of an easier to use two-stage function.

-Jim

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK, Please can you show me these criticisms?>>>>>>>

A2 Aviator thread on page three

tkl's comments
k21000s1's comments
brightnorms comments

None of the switching mechanisms will be as simple as on/off. I think Surefire did a great job.

Size15's

Flashaholic
While I don't think three is "many", I'm still interested to read them - please can you provide a link (url) to the thread you are referring.

tkl has appears to have been on a steep learning curve.

What type of on/off switching mechanism do you think it simple?

Thanks

Al

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

You're so hot to hear a problem with the two stage switch so OK, I'll give you one. It WON'T learn X-10 codes nor will it unlock the electronic locks of my car! Sup wi dat?

For the low and high levels, the switch is intuitive and quick on momentary selection. Other than that, the only time I wish it were different is when I want to go immediately to constant on high mode. This isn't that often and I am so spoiled by quick gratification of instant access to two levels that turning the tail cap seems to be a chore. Bet I get over that!

I do have an idea for a small spring loaded side button on the tail cap that could be pressed in to *Lock* the current position of the tail switch; be it in off, low or high. Of course making such a switch that would be dependable and unaffected by adverse environments would be quite a design challenge. I leave it to you to pass this pearl on to PK. That's why he gets the big bucks, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't think i liked the switch at first, well i still dont' like all the twisting. but as i said, i don't lock it out. i twist it down to where it will activate the main beam.

after i use it for constant on, i have to twist back and forth to find the spot i like and "reset" it ofcourse. but you can't get around two stage switching, sort of a necessary evil.