My new small pocket EDC BLASTER!

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I bought a modded SF E1L from forum member gmcjimd This thing is freakin hot! Its brighter than my current, now old EDC my Fenix PD20. I have tried alot of lights in this size range trying to find a sinlge 123 cell light that is brighter than the PD20 and have not found anything until now, the throw on this new light is just incredible. Not as much spill as the Fenix but it still has a little spill. Have it set up to just have three brightness levels at this time, will play with custom modes later. here is the description from the for sale post I bought it from.Iam a happy camper!

This is an as new E1L on steroids
evilgrin07.gif

The head has been modded with a Q5 WC P60 drop in with 5 mode groups. high is regulated at 1200mah.For info on the drop in check DX sku#11074, I have several of these and they work great! The head retains the stock optic and with this combo it throws like a Dereelight 3SD but the hot spot is twice as big at 100yrds.This light must use an AW 16340 because of the draw on high. This light does have a low voltage flash but it will not shut off when at low voltage.

Jim, thank you!
Matt

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
You know you have to post some pics of this little beast.

You've got us all drooling here..

radu1976

Enlightened
I wish to have such an EDC thrower like yours...
But , what's the cost of the brightness and throw ? 20-25min runtime on a RCR123 ?? :poke:
I was tempted by this light but once I have been told the runtime by the seller I gave up...
Though...I am not sure if there's other under 10cm light which can overthrow this little beast

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
I wish to have such an EDC thrower like yours...
But , what's the cost of the brightness and throw ? 20-25min runtime on a RCR123 ?? :poke:
I was tempted by this light but once I have been told the runtime by the seller I gave up...
Though...I am not sure if there's other under 10cm light which can overthrow this little beast

It doesn't cost anything,when the batteries are dead plop it in the charger.
Okay,okay i know what you mean. The runtime is short but look at that output.
There's a couple options though, one can use a 2 cell e series body able to accept a 17670 and the runtimes are doubled. The light will be a bit longer but very pocketable still.
Or keep it as is and have a couple extra RCR's in your pocket..you'll need it.

radu1976

Enlightened
Well, if you'll add a longer body it will still be EDCable but you lost the sweetness of the initial lenght....it will be a 12-14cm light and there are many in this category that can throw very good.

You can't go with this light at the mountains let's say unless you'll take with you 10 RCRs :)
No, for me a runtime of 20 min is a killer !
Many lights - NITECORE EXTREME, OLIGHT T10 Q5, ITP C9, LTFLUX, DEREELIGHT C2H - are very bright but for a short runtime , around 40 min...What's the point ? You always have to recharge the battery .
I am still happy with my ROMISEN RC-N3 Q5 - 40-45min with a RCR123 - but I haven't paied a fortune of it and it throws like a NITECORE EXTREME or a SUREFIRE E1B ...

The SUREFIRE E1B is the best solution for a compact and throwy light - as far as I am concearn - , nice regulation for a very nice runtime 60-80 min...with a primary CR123 , it's true.
The others lack of regulation or the runtime is too short...or there are regulated for 1hr+ but the throw is not awesome.
But the E1B costs well over 100$+ and it doesn't have the knurling and the sweetness of E1L :(
Just my 2c.

It doesn't cost anything,when the batteries are dead plop it in the charger.
Okay,okay i know what you mean. The runtime is short but look at that output.
There's a couple options though, one can use a 2 cell e series body able to accept a 17670 and the runtimes are doubled. The light will be a bit longer but very pocketable still.
Or keep it as is and have a couple extra RCR's in your pocket..you'll need it.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am trying to figure out this mod. It sounds like you are using an E1L body with an E2C adapter and a Sure P series head with the P60 5 mode drop in. Sort of confusing the way you have described it as there is no room for a P60 head in a E1L head.

Bill

Snow

Enlightened
With 5 modes to choose from, runtime should be a non-issue. If you need to use it for longer, just use a lower output setting.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A properly hosted DX11074 out-guns some of the brightest 1x18650 lights. At its brightest setting it pushes a Q5 XR-E with 1200mah

courtesy of selfbuilt
c6hi18650je5.gif

1996alnl

Enlightened
Whoa! That is one kickass dropin!:devil:
An hour and twenty minutes of (even regulated ) retina frying lumens on a 18650?
I just ordered two of them.:thumbsup: For the price i can't go wrong.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Most of this thread ended up way over my head...:~)

The picture above is my light or exactly the same.

As far as run time its just not an issue for me. Its my EDC pocket carry light, when the battery is dead I pop in a fresh one. If I go to the mountians I will have this light, several ext batts and several other lights as well, again no big deal. If it goes dead and I dont have a batt with me I will just pop in a primary 123 and use it on a lower setting than high.

I cant tell you how cool this is, I have been into lights several years, dont know crap about the electronics to build them but Iam learning fast:~) With this said I have had ALOT of lights and have compared many to my Fenix PD20, production and custom and am not easily impressed with most lights this size I pick up. THIS IMPRESSED ME!

Try it, you will like it!

Thanks again Jim, this thing rocks!
Matt

1996alnl

Enlightened
Pontiaker do you have a photo of the head,this mod intrigues me.
I'm assuming the driver and the Led was put into the SF head therefore utilizing the SF heatsink and optic.

gmcjimd

Newly Enlightened
Hello all
I did the mods to this light.Yes the run time is short on high but you have a lot of other levels to choose from.This light was built to see how far I could go in a small host and still have a rock solid performer on a single die led.

Thanks
Jim

gmcjimd

Newly Enlightened
Also forgot to add, the head is machined to accept the P-60 driver pill and not the reflector.This way you have the rock solid surefire body with optic and this great little Q5-WC driver unit.

Glad you love the light:thumbsup:
Jim

gmcjimd

Newly Enlightened
Hey Matt
I forgot to tell you that the #3 mode 0-100 user defined setting has a 0.5 lumen low.This should run for several days if you need the light for survivor mode when you are up in them thar hills.:devil::cool::twothumbs:naughty:

Jim

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Cool, thanks Jim! Guys after a full week of playing with this its still on the original charge. I have used it everyday and night of course mostly just a few seconds at a time but its working great for me! Now Iam just thinking of turning down the outside diam of the head to make it more pocket friendly, polish the whole thing out, etc...

Again I love it!
Matt