A simple light that would Just Work? (And some simple questions)

rdaysky

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I browsed this forum for a while, read the numerous excellent reviews but I'm still confused about some basics. I'm looking for a flashlight of good quality but acceptable cost, and the options are somewhat contradictory. For example, those cheap Romisen lights, however bright, don't have a "low" mode and thus they seem to force one to carry a heap of batteries for extended autonomous use, not really cost-effective in this situation.

Once I got a random Energizer flashlight for $20 complete with its own charger. While not as bright as it could have been and not designed for outdoors use at all, it did have two modes and served me very well during several days of camping in a place far from civilization and electricity. But of course it isn't a tool well suited for such a job.

Could anyone please suggest a "real" flashlight now, bright on its high setting and energy-conserving on its low setting (something around 15–20 hours on single charge would be excellent), and inexpensive—would $20–30 be enough? BessieBenny's roundup lists some multi-mode models, e. g. Eastward YJ-XAQ5, Ultrafire C3 P4, Mini 3W Cree, but reviews of each point out significant drawbacks, such as degradation of the LED or overheating. What would you recommend for such a one-size-fits-all light?

Also, could you please point me at an RTFM about batteries. I guess I'll need a charger for those CR123 or 5-digit batteries? And I've heard something about problems with Li-Ion batteries if allowed to discharge too much, is it true and where can I read about it?

Overall, what are the low-cost solutions for a simple but good flashlight usable both for household work and outdoors, and that would last for a long time without recharging? Or would it be better, in the long run, to buy a big bright expensive model once and for all?

--
WBR
Roman.

[Got my Fenix LD20 today. So far everything's excellent.]

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Check out Fenix lights at CPF members 4sevens site here. Fenix is a good brand and there are many models to choose from and their customer service is top notch. The prices are higher than what you may be looking at right now but it is worth it to spend a little extra and have a reliable tool. I would recommend starting with a AA light for now and then branch out to rechargeable Li-Ions after a little research. Li-Ions require some care to use safely. The flashlight electronics forum is a good place to get info. With the AA light you can just buy store bought NiMh and you are good to go. Be sure to buy low self discharge NiMh. I don't know what the brand names are in the States but the packaging usually says "precharged" and the description on the back says they can maintain 85% of their charge for up to a year. Alkalines are OK to use in a pinch but NiMh will give you much better performance.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, believe-it-or-not, it's hard to come up with a flashlight to fit your specs! I just spent like 20-30 minutes trying to come up with an answer.

I agree to start with a Fenix option in a 2xAA formfactor (to use 2 NiMH rechargeable AA's, and to have the option to use the Alkaline or even the Lithium (Energizer E2) primaries).

The problem is that the latest Fenix's are a bit more expensive - the LD20 is more than $60, and competing "premium" brands (O-Light, etc.) are even more expensive. Also these lights are not simple.

One idea is to look for a used Fenix L2T v2.0, which fits your specs like a glove:

Features
• Utilizes a Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
• Two digitally-regulated output levels, selected by turning the bezel
• High level: 152 lumens, 2.4 hours (Ni-HM)
• Low level: constant 16 lumens, 32 hours (Ni-HM)
• Uses two 1.5V AA (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium) batteries, inexpensive and widely available
• Dimensions: 14.4cm (L) x 2.1cm (D)
• Weight: 59g (excluding batteries)
• Aircraft-grade aluminum body with durable type-III hard-anodized finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Textured reflector for a flawless beam
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
• Tailcap switch with tactical 'momentary-on' function

Package Includes:
Fenix L2T V2.0 Flashlight
Holster
Lanyard
Extra O-Rings
Spare tailcap boot

Problem - this is no longer in production. If you decide to try to find it used (or from still-selling it sites) don't pay the asking prices which are $45-50. I think you should hold out for a price lower to your $30, since the light is after all outdated/used.

One more thing - you probably know that LED's typicall have a "whiter" color than the old type of bulb. Some, for outdoors use especially, prefer the more "yellowish" color. If you fall in this later category, you might be interested to know that the Fenix L2T v2.0 also came out in the Q2 LED, which typically has a warmer (more yellowish) color.

So you may watch out for that type of L2T v2.0 as well.

good luck!

Brad

Newly Enlightened
The best flashlight is the one you have with you when you need it. I always keep a Fenix LOD-CE in my pocket. This is my most used flashlight by a wide margin. Price is more than your $30 limit but IMO worth it.

The new updated model is even better. It's called Fenix LD01 running a Cree Q5 7090 XR-E LED.

Three output modes: 27 Lumens (3.5hrs) -> 10 Lumens (8.5hrs) -> 80 Lumens (1hrs).

After you have yourself a good pocket light you may want to take a look at the Fenix LD10 or LD20. Rather than suggest a light that uses the more expensive CR123A batteries I think you may like these lights as they use AAA and AA batteries. This gives you the option to use Eneloop rechargable batteries which while more expensive at first, will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If you feel you need a light that runs the CR123A batteries I think you would do well with the Fenix PD30.

General Mode: 9 lumens (65hrs) -> 70 lumens (8hrs) -> 117 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
Turbo Mode: 220 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe

While I have many lights by different makers, I really think that right now Fenix is a great light for the price. Not cheap and not really expensive but very well made and just works when you need it.

Brad

iohutom

Newly Enlightened
Head lamp maybe? Zebra light is a good choice. flood light, can last a few days on low setting. Very small size.
go check their website.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I think the general rule for buying power tools applies here: decide what you want and what you can afford - and then get the next model up ! Even if it's 50% more it will cost you less in the long run.

You will have a lot more options (Fenix, Nitecore, many others) for $50 than you will for $30. That's a more realistic starting point for a high-quality, reliable, efficient light that will last you. A cheaper light that you end up replacing in 18 months' time won't have saved you any money.

Since you want a simple light that "Just Works" I would suggest forgetting about rechargeables for now. Just get a good AA light with the features you need and a stack of lithium AAs. In fact, you can put the money you save on a charger towards the light itself.

That way you get simple operation for now without all the hassles of different cell types and thinking about charging regimes and so on.

If you find yourself really getting through the cells you can always add a charger later when you've got a clearer idea of what you need.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the new Minimag led(rebel emitter). It's not the brightest but it has high and low and cost a hair over 20 bucks. Lifetime guarentee also.

1dash1

Enlightened
Roman:

Unless you're willing to invest the money (primary lithiums) or the effort (rechargeable lithiums), I suggest that you stick with AA's and AAA's. Here's a link to the reasons why.

On the other hand, if you're embarking on a lifelong hobby of investing and learning about flashlights, I suppose now is as good a time as any to find out more about CR123's, RCR123's, 18650's, 17670's, 14500's, etc.

The Welcome MatMDs Lithium Ion Guide
http://batteryuniversity.com

Moonshadow

Enlightened
OK - I'm actually going to throw out a slightly different option, because I think I've cracked it for you:

Nitecore Extreme
, plus a bulk pack of 123 primaries.

OK, it isn't an AA light so you'll need to get cells online and they're harder to find in an emergency, but -

You get:

- Simple clicky: on, off.
- Very high beam on full power
- Variable second level that you can adjust to get the runtime you want
- Simple twist of the head to switch between the two levels
- Build quality . . . and looks !

That's it. Sorted.

OK, it's a bit more over budget but if you can stretch to it, you won't be disappointed.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower ConneXion LED Flashlight 1xAA Battery up to 120 lumens! S37.95:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-connexion-aa.html

Forward tactical clicky switch with 3 level, digitally controlled output 100%, 30% and 5%
Memory mode remembers last output-level!
Output/Runtime(100% to 50%):
(Alkaline): 100 lumens/35 minutes, 25 lumens/5 hours, 4 lumens/14+ hours.
(Energizer E2 Lithium): 100 lumens/84 minutes, 25 lumens/6 hours, 4 lumens/53 hours.
(NiMh 2700mah): 100 lumens/60 minutes, 25 lumens/5.9 hours, 4 lumens/52 hours.
(Li-Ion 14500): 120 lumens/95 minutes, 28 lumens/7 hours, 6 lumens/36 hours Uses state of the art CREE Q5 WD XR-E 7090 LED
400mah forward current with 1x AA Battery outputs up to 120 lumens!
GITD O-rings at bezel and tailcap, can tailstand /candle mode.
Spring Steel, bezel down pocketclip
Stainless steel trim ring around switch.
AR-coated glass lens
OP-textured reflector
TypeII+ Black Anodizing improved hardness coating
Length: 92mm, Tail dia.: 19mm, Engine dia.: 20mm, Head dia.: 20.5mm
Battery: 1x AA Battery

rdaysky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the explanations. I now understand that a realistic price for such requirements is $50+. Supposing I double the budget (what a term for shelling out 30 more bucks :), would Fenix LD20 be a reasonable (entry-level) choice? I'll be able to buy those Eneloops sometime later and eventually turn into a flashaholic :)

Roman.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yep - LD20 would certainly do it, and is one of the ones I had in mind in my first post. Closer to your budget than the Extreme, too - but . . . it's one butt-ugly light ! :eek:

If you are heading down the 2-AA route, make sure you check out the Nitecore D20 too. Lower low, similar price - and looks a whole lot better too ! [ Or - Defender Infinity for a single-AA solution with the same advantages as the Extreme ]

Last edited:

seaside

Enlightened
Simple means On-off, ability to use regualar AA battery? And you want it brighter than your 1w energizer at cost of $25~30?

First thing in my mind is Romisen RC-N3 from shiningbeam. Q5 LED, CR123 or 2AAs, simple, and priced in your range.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanations. I now understand that a realistic price for such requirements is $50+. Supposing I double the budget (what a term for shelling out 30 more bucks :), would Fenix LD20 be a reasonable (entry-level) choice? I'll be able to buy those Eneloops sometime later and eventually turn into a flashaholic :)

Roman.

so let's see, you start the thread by asking for a "simple" light with a budget up to $30. Now you say you may choose an "entry" level LD20 for twice the budget!?

The LD20 is neither entry level nor simple (it has 5 modes reached by using two separate control points). It is probably a very good choice on a number of grounds, but not on your supposed selection criteria.

I guess all those who responded to your post by completely ignoring your parameters (like, buy an LD01 for $50 and then ANOTHER flashlight exceeding your budget, so TWO lights for almost $100 above your budget, neither of which fit your request) were right after all.

Brad

Newly Enlightened
:( Sorry rdaysky. I was the one who recommended the two flashlights that were outside your budget and specs.

I tend to think the things I like will be also liked by others. This may not be the case and my post wasn't very helpful to you. I'll let you know if I can find a better light that matches all of your original requirements.

Brad

Brad

Newly Enlightened
Well, I searched all the flashlight sites I buy from with no luck. The LumaPower's ConneXion suggested by rmteo looks hard to beat. I may have to get one of those some day.

The only light I can think of is the TerraLux LightStar 220 EX.
It matches most of your requirements but runtime is only 6 hours on low. I did own an older 1-mode version of this light and I really liked the beam pattern and tint. I believe it was the 3 watt model. Only 2 hour runtime on that one though.

Do you already have a C or D Maglite sitting around? Have you considered a Terralux Maglite drop-in. These can be had for around $24. I upgraded all of my Maglites to LED and they are nice and bright and run quite a long time depending on the battery configuration. I especially like the 4C size.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Brad

Brad

Newly Enlightened
If size is not an issue, get one of the new MAG 2D rebels for about $30 from HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Single mode only, but you get 15+ hours on high. Sears has them on sale right now for $20 here:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03493586000P
Plenty bright - see how it compares here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2854086

Good idea. I recently purchased this same light. It does have a very nice tint. I didn't know the runtime was so high. 15 hours is great. Thanks for the info. I got about 3 hours with 2 AA Eneloops in the plastic shells. I put the D's back in when I was done testing. The shells came free with the batteries and I guess I just wanted to try them out.

Brad

Latest posts