Luxeon Big Beam lantern mod

unbwogable

Newly Enlightened
I recently came into posession of (4) 4 watt CREE LEDs (the bighter, cheaper equivalent of a Luxeon), and decided to mod an old Big Beam model 166 flashlight that's been in my trunk for 2 years.
It takes a sealed beam bulb, and a 6 volt lantern battery. I plan on using some NIMH packs and mounting the LEDs on some aluminum rails.

My question is, the old Big Beam is a little rusty. I did some research, and it's a powder coat. The chrome is a tiny bit rusty as well. I would love to restore this thing to it's original lustrous shine, but I still want it to look as retro as possible (with 4 huge LEDs in the head instead of a sealed beam :)). It's got a giant silk screened Big Beam logo and some other stuff on both sides, which is in pretty decent shape. Can I get some input on this? Should I:

A) leave it, fix the rust, and maybe clearcot it to prevent more rust?
B) Strip it completely and lose the logo?
C) Perhaps cover the logos, strip the rest, and repaint with a similar color?

Any other ideas??

Thanks!!

PS: The attachment is NOT the actual light that I'm going to mod, it was borrowed from http://www.bigbeam.com/lantern_166.html

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, unbwogable.

I'm going to move your thread to the Homemade & Modified section for you.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as you have been to their web site, you can see that these lights are more or less immortal, do to the fact that even after many years of serves "and a little rust" they still work fine, though as I was saying you can still buy them brand new:thumbsup:! For around $25, then you can keep the original "well original" and modify a new one. The question you need to ask yourself is how you will go about the reflector / lens? Since these lights use a sealed beam bulb you will have to devise your own reflector "not to hard all you will need is any size one that will fit, however the lens will have to be costume made. Also what about power? Some sort of resistor / driving board will be needed, and I have no idea how that stuff works:confused:. These lights are normally great for crazy Par 36 builds "I specialize in Par bulb builds:whistle:" were you could take something as simple as an H7550 bulb and a SLA 6 volt battery and you would get 3 times+ the power as original and have a rechargeable, all for under $35:twothumbs. Though if you wanted to you could do the LED conversion though you just have to get creative. :welcome:

700th. post:party:!