Flashlight with dial up color from red to violet

mastershake

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if there was a small hand-held flashlight that you could dial up any color from red to violet ?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds impossible to me. Unless you're talking about having several different colored LEDs in one light, and being able to switch between them.

mastershake

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I meant to say, sorry I wasn't more specific about that. With just one dial to operate it too. You would turn the dial and it would go from red to violet with all colors in between.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not heard of anything like that. The most I've heard of is the eternaLight, with either green/white or red/white. And eternaLight has something called a Rav'n, I think, which may have 4 colors, but it's a flashing disco-ish type of thing.

By the way, Greetings and salutations. Welcome to CPF!

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably use one of the RGB LEDs which are currently available, along with some kind of circuit to control the colour, but I don't think the RGB LEDs currently available are very high intensity, so it wouldn't make much of a torch.

If you use multiple LEDs, I don't think it would be very hard to come up with a circuit to drive the different colours at varying intensity, controlled by a potentiometer.
Of course, 'not very hard' doesn't mean much - I certainly don't know of any circuits off the top of my head, but no doubt some of the more talented electronics enthusiasts here could come up with something.

Graham

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi mastershake,
fc3d9dd8.gif

If you don't mind modding, it shouldn't be too hard to make a LightWasher work on batts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
I think that would be the closest you could come.

Tomas

Banned
Re: Flashlight with dial up color from red to vi

There's also a battery powered "LightWand" made by Sauce (maker of the LightWasher). It has red, green, and blue LEDs in it and some sort of electronics that allow it to automaticly cycle in several ways, OR for one to control the color output (including white).

It was at Target in the kids toys a while back. I have one and it is a fun device.

There are actually several of those battery powered devices in different sizes and shapes: cksauce.com - Products The colors change rather smoothly from one to the next, and can be stopped at whatever color one wants.

(I also have a couple LightWashers behind the 4 foot tall potted plants that flank my TV in the living room. They are set on "very slow color shift" mode and add a nice "theater" feel. They light the wall behind the plants quite nicely.)

tomsig03.gif

The Yeti

Newly Enlightened

There was a light like that made about 5 years ago which had 256 each of red, green and blue LEDs. It was made for studio use and was way over my price range at about $1300 I think.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened

A friend of mine showed me an ink pen with a plexiglass lower half the other day that changed from color to color.
He opened it up to reveal an led(type) bank (surface mount) that changed colors in a 1,2,3,4 rotation possibly using a digital 555 timer or something similar.
Interesting.