Help choosing a light to replace E1B

APS

Newly Enlightened
Wow, there's way too much info on this cool forum. I actually got nauseous flipping between threads but that may be my monitor's fault...

I don't like my E1B w/Z68 mainly because when I momentary off/on it will sometimes go into Low mode if I don't wait long enough.

Is there a model available that will
1. start on High mode and
2. allow momentary off/on and stay on HIGH power? I can't tell if lights such as the fenix PD30 can start on HIGH.
3. stand up to dropping on the floor, etc like a typical Surefire

I already carry an L0D on my keychain as a utility light so LOW modes don't really matter to me.

I supposed I could go with an LED G2 or 6P but would really like the strobe feature if possible.

Thanks, Adam

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Is there a model available that will
1. start on High mode and
2. allow momentary off/on and stay on HIGH power? I can't tell if lights such as the fenix PD30 can start on HIGH.
3. stand up to dropping on the floor, etc like a typical Surefire

Could do worse than check out the thread below this one...

APS

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's a nice light. I like how you can preset the brightness by rotating the bezel and then just off/on. Also it seems to have a click on-click off button which I like too.

Viper715

Enlightened
I say go for the Nitecore Extreme too. I just got mine yesturday and love it I think that the build quality is as good as Surefire. It's brighter than every other light I carry on duty and smaller to boot. I plan on buying a EX10 or D10 soon also I want to try out the smart PD UI. :thumbsup:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Smallish: Surefire L1, best UI ever!
Biggish: Surefire 6PL, with a Sandwich Shoope McC2s switch mod: gets you the same dual mode UI as above. Choose your favorite drop-in and battery type to customize as needed.

Honorable mention: Nitecore's SmartPD EX10 or D10: truly a single mode flashlight, with adjustable brightness and able to be operated as a twisty, clickie or momentary.

Regarding the strobe: do you REALLY need it?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Extreme might work. It only changes modes if you tighten or loosen the bezel. The PD30 doesn't have a forward clickie and also changed modes when there is a short cut of the circuit.

The Fenix TK series and the Eagletac lights also alway start on whatever mode they are set on(loose bezel = low, tight bezel -= high)

:welcome:

APS

Newly Enlightened
OK, ok... I guess I can get by without the strobe. Looks like a lot of votes for the nitecore... The smartpd is more in my price range. Looks like the TK10 might switch between strobe and high if you momentary on/off which I don't want anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The TK series only has high and low, nothing else. The P/PD and soe of the L/KD series has strobe but not the TK series. The P/PD series and L/LD series(besides the 1 AAA ones) can all start on max if the bezel is tight.

What's your price range?

APS

Newly Enlightened
The TK series only has high and low, nothing else. The P/PD and soe of the L/KD series has strobe but not the TK series. The P/PD series and L/LD series(besides the 1 AAA ones) can all start on max if the bezel is tight.

What's your price range?

I'd like to keep it less than $80. I know that probably limits me some but after losing my job I'm trying to get by with less. Also, I prefer the length of a 2 X CR123 light over a single cell. Ok, so the TK only has high and low and it looks like you can start it on High. That's good. Superior to say a G2L or 6PL?
Adam

Toaster

Enlightened
If you're looking for a 2xCR123 light with a bit smaller form factor, it may be worth keeping an eye out for the Eagletac P100C2. Looks tight, specced nice, and definitely priced right. Just need to wait on some first hand reviews to see if it's as good as it promises to be.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Sorry about loosing your job.

Try not to compare any company of lights to Surefire, it can spark fierce arguements.

Do you already have a 6p or G2? Because you can get LED drop-ins for the lights.

How will this light be used?(a tactical light probably isn't the best for general use and vice versa)

Also there are some pretty bright AA powered lights(brighter then the average 2 CR123 light).

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go for the Nitecore Extreme too. I just got mine yesturday and love it I think that the build quality is as good as Surefire. It's brighter than every other light I carry on duty and smaller to boot.

I've got a few lights, some SF's, some of Henry's great lights and a bunch of Fenix's but the light that's in my pocket when I hit the road is the Nitecore Extreme. It is truly pocketable and has that extra burst of power for when you need it.

I was walking back from a filling station in Germany at 3 am a few months ago (there were cans of Gaffel Kölsch beer involved, they sell it all night long). A couple of characters approached me from out of the darkness. They told me to stop and I kept walking. They started cursing me in German and I decided to pick up the tempo. When they got too close for comfort, I pulled out my Nitecore Extreme and twisted it to put it on high. I was a little uneasy, fumbled, and put it on strobe mode inadvertantly. It was like a death ray out of a sci-fi movie, they started colliding with each other, swinging and falling down. I made it back to my hotel, they got up and followed me, a lot less agressively. It turns out they were just a couple of roaring drunk college students looking for directions to the train station. I pointed them in the right direction (head for the Dom) and called it a night.

I never thought much of the strobe function until that demo but it really gave me just enough egress on a dark street to depart for safer territory.

The Extreme is a level of brightness above the other single battery lights I have and has a simple interface to select a programmable lower level. On the downside, the beam has rings and, well, when they ship it with an extra pushbutton switch, you know you're going to have a problem. I've replaced and rebuilt the switch a time or two.

APS

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about loosing your job.

Try not to compare any company of lights to Surefire, it can spark fierce arguements.

Do you already have a 6p or G2? Because you can get LED drop-ins for the lights.

How will this light be used?(a tactical light probably isn't the best for general use and vice versa)

Also there are some pretty bright AA powered lights(brighter then the average 2 CR123 light).

Oops, sorry about the comparison I won't do that again ;). I already have a 6P, my first real light about 12 years old. It's got the 120 lumen head but it's mounted on an 870 and I don't want to remove it.

Since I have an L0D on my keychain for utility use this new light would replace my E1B for "tactical" use. IE, it will hardly be used at all since I don't often go out at night but when I need it I want >65lumens with one button push, while still being portable in a jacket pocket or clipped to a pants pocket, etc. I am not married to the CR123, but I would like a light that is at least 4.5" long to make it less fumble prone. Price cap of $80.
Adam

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . .It was like a death ray out of a sci-fi movie, they started colliding with each other, swinging and falling down. . .
Great story ! Are you sure it was the strobe though, or how much of it was down to the 15 beers inside 'em ? :drunk:

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the combination of strobe plus beers didn't make 'em puke up - coulda been a right mess ! :green:

DM51

Flashaholic
Oops, sorry about the comparison I won't do that again
Comparisons are made the whole time, and there's absolutely no reason why similar lights should not be compared. There's no reason at all why SF lights should not be compared to others.

As for fierce arguments, they are started by people failing to remain civil with one another, not by the existence of a comparison. Preferences in lights differ widely from one member to another. Different opinions and preferences should be respected, as long as they are not based solely on prejudice. Threads get into trouble when people lose sight of this, and show disrespect for other people's opinions.