• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired need a 9 d light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
looking for a light to power an experiement in science. can anyone make me a 9d light, preferrably a mag. i know cutting them down is easy enough but can we make one longer?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you need the light for the size, or for the output?
I'm sure someone could make an adapter for it, if it really needs to be that big.
Wouldn't it make more sense to simply use a chain of battery holders, if it's need for the battery power, or a smaller light with the same output, if it's the light you need?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea whats the reason for it needing to be so big? It can't be a voltage reason, becasue you can easily use a AA battery carrier for a 3D mag.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be easy for someone with a lathe to cut down a 4 or 5 cell Mag D light to make an extension for a 5 or 4 cell Mag D?

Jason, what bulb are you planning on running on this monster?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
its kind of for the voltage, but i want to create something that would benefit from d cells more than from aa's, so it doesnt have to be charged every other time i bring it out.

basicly i want to create something unique, and was thinking of a variety of voltage formats. i want it to be high voltage, more so than high amperage so i can create this with a stock mag switch. and a 9 d mag setup would be an everyman's light that has more kick than anything my friends have seen.

thanks for the link, i've emailed the webmaster about my strange request. we'll see how it turns out.

donn_

Flashaholic
thanks for the link, i've emailed the webmaster about my strange request. we'll see how it turns out.

They won't have a 9D tube, because Mag doesn't make one. You'd need to buy a 6D and probably a 4 or 5D. Then one of the guys I mentioned can cut off and thread the front of the shorter tube to use as an extension on the 6D tube.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could just use 18650 cells in a tri or quad bored mag host, or make a custom tube. It would take up a lot less space, and have more capacity.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i wanted to do something really different. i was about to ask how can i get 9 18650's in there but that would put me WAY over voltage. i had already though about using d cell lithium ion and had crossed that idea out due to too high voltage. then again the mag switch can handle high voltage right, just not high amperage?

i guess i could just build a 3d with 3 lithium ion d cells, but that wouldnt be NEAR as cool as a 9 d mag, nor anywhere near the capacity. but i guess it would be alot simpler. i dont know, i think the 9d mag dream is still alive. talk about showing off to friends!

07accordEX

Newly Enlightened
I agree with jason, were all kind of crazy on this forum for loving flashlights

its all about the cool factor =)

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
this project is kind of on the back burner unless someone comes to me and says "i can lathe you one for x$$.$$"

gonna build some p4 mags and p7 mags for friends and stuff.