TF 3W 150L Modded w/SLR Camera Lens

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
Task Force 3W 150 Lumen Modded with SLR/Camera Lens!

I guy at work had a broken Canon SLR camera lens (EF 50mm 1:1.8 II) he didn't want anyore. I asked if I could have it. He said, "Ya." After I got home I took it apart. I found that the front part of the lens fitted my Task Force 3W 150 lumen thrower (with the bezel removed) perfectly. The following is the result:

(Click on any image to be redirected to its enlarged version)

Approximately 40 inches from verticle blinds:

Approximately 120 inches (10 feet) from verticle blinds:

As you can see, the result of modding the TF with the camera lens is an almost perfectly evenly distributed spot that's wide enough to be considered a flood. The TF normally has light spill and an extreme hotspot that really throws. With bezel removed, the hotspot completely goes, but along with the hotspot so does the focus. By adding the camera lens the light becomes slightly focussed (giving it more throw than with the bezel off) yet is wide enough to be used as a flood. (Sorry I didn't have an actual SLR to photograph this with - used a Nikon Coolpix for these) I find it has now become a very useful torch (yes, much more useful than before for everyday near-proximity work such as checking water lines, power-grids, locating things quickly nearby, etc.). And, I should probably mention (as a lot of people will have probably bought this light for it's throw) that I have good throwers - throwers that will easily out-throw it (pre-mod). So exchanging the throw for even light distribution wasn't a problem for me. I actually prefer it this way.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Ah, the good old Cannon Plastic Fantasic.

Its not even that expensive when new... <$100 in the right places.