H4 6000K spotlight.

Stick2810

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!,

I am currently thinking up ideas and getting some parts together to make a spotlight to use to go hunting with, I am thinking of using a H4 6000K HID setup, I am not sure on how hard it is to fit H4 globes into most cheap torches or I was thinking a cheap/second hand car/4wd spotlight/driving light?, how do you think it would work in a car/4wd spotlight/driving light as far as a H4 globe fitting as most spotlights I have seen take a H3 globe? and the beam of light as I am after a single strong beam and be able to spot things from a fair distance. My plans where to just attach the ballast externally and either have it run from a battery in a backpack or from a car/4wd battery.
Thanks, any help is much appreciated,
Michael

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for hunting you would be better off with a lower color temperature bulb because the 6000 washes out color and would make it harder to distinguish your target from the surrounding if the colors are so dull, why not try a 4200 bulb instead?

There are spotlights that take the H4 bulb Thor and Solarforce come to mind.

AlexGT

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I could be easier to buy a HID light, also 4200K would be better for color.

As for the rest, I can't help with.

How far is a far distance?

:welcome:

Stick2810

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,
Thanks for the replies, I was only going with the 6000K H4 as this is what the HID kit was going to come with as standard (for a car) but what I might do is buy a pair of H3 4200K globes as like you said will give off a better light for my use and I have seen more lights use the H3 globe, and I would use the ballast from the kit. And for the range of my light well it does vary allot, but most of the time a couple of hundred metres, but I would like to go as far as possible just so I can show off to people as well : )
Michael.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
With HID's slow start up and shut down times is it really the best option for a hunting light?

Stick2810

Newly Enlightened
Hi Packhorse,
yeah I know what you mean, I was just think to go with HID as a mate of mine made up a HID light for hunting and it was brilliant, he ran it off a battery in a backpack and it was a 35watt 4200K H3 and he got 6 hours of use from it and it had great light from it, and ounce it is on I would usually keep it on, it isn't good to turn off and on rapidly with a HID globe is it??,
Thanks,
Michael