Fenix P2D acting up

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I searched but could not find the issue that I am currently having. My P2D-CE will sometimes not cycle through on the low side. I bump the button and it will flash once showing the button was pushed but it will not advance to the next level. Now this does not happen all of the time and it almost always will clear up if I click the light off, tuen to turbo cycle through turbo, then click off, then go back to regular mode and begin my clicking.
I have cleaned the light, I have tightened the metal ring in the clicky area. I have relubed the threads, and the surefire battery has about 20 minutes of time on it total, with medium being the favored level.
I bought this light not to long ago at a gun show. I did register it at Fenix website. I am hoping it is something that I can correct as a opposed to sending it in for repair.

kts

Enlightened
Try cleaning all threads and contacts and then test it without lube...

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
no lube on the threads???? really, ok I will try that later tonight

I thought maybe your lube is doing something, be careful not to get any lube on the contact ring inside the head, only the O-ring needs a little lubrication.

henry1960

Enlightened
Hello, I searched but could not find the issue that I am currently having. My P2D-CE will sometimes not cycle through on the low side. I bump the button and it will flash once showing the button was pushed but it will not advance to the next level. Now this does not happen all of the time and it almost always will clear up if I click the light off, tuen to turbo cycle through turbo, then click off, then go back to regular mode and begin my clicking.
I have cleaned the light, I have tightened the metal ring in the clicky area. I have relubed the threads, and the surefire battery has about 20 minutes of time on it total, with medium being the favored level.
I bought this light not to long ago at a gun show. I did register it at Fenix website. I am hoping it is something that I can correct as a opposed to sending it in for repair.

It`s funny you are having almost the same promblem i am having...I turn on my P2D and does not go to low level at all. It is bright and stays on the second level. Hitting the tail cap switch will bring it to the third level(which is 107 lumens) but it will not kick down to 12 lumens. It does not bother me to much so i`m going to keep things the way they are but the bad about this is i go through batteries a little faster. Good thing there rechargable batteries. :D

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
I had this problem when the head (to switch between general & turbo) was not backed out enough. Instead of just slightly loosening the head from turbo mode, try untwisting a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
I thought maybe your lube is doing something, be careful not to get any lube on the contact ring inside the head, only the O-ring needs a little lubrication.

I am willing to try it, I just wanted to make sure I knew what you meant. Thank you for looking at this thread.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shortly after I got it, my P2D-CE didn't want to light up at all anymore. As usual, when I take a light to stick it in my pocket, I tested it. Everything went well, but when I cleaned the lens with my sweater (I need a clean lens, who cares about the pullover?), it shut off and would not light up Again.

A sight-control didn't show anything weird, rubbing the contact with my finger brought nothing. So, I got out the Q-Tips and the Isopropyl alcohol, cleaned the contact, the ring on the head and the threads, including those of the tailcap. I scew it together again, let there be light!

That was 3 months ago, I use it each weekend and it didn't fail again. I also cleaned all my other lights in that same way, as I had used some oil on the threads (yes, I know about the oil...)

Btw, if you don't put a fresh battery in the light, don't forget to clean the contacts of the old one!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s funny you are having almost the same promblem i am having...I turn on my P2D and does not go to low level at all. It is bright and stays on the second level. Hitting the tail cap switch will bring it to the third level(which is 107 lumens) but it will not kick down to 12 lumens. It does not bother me to much so i`m going to keep things the way they are but the bad about this is i go through batteries a little faster. Good thing there rechargable batteries. :D

The P2D has always been reported to lose its modes with RCR123s.Try a standard non-rechargable CR123 and see if the problem persists.