• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Playing with Ti and colors

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a custom light build that requires some color in the Ti light--preferably a dark blue. So I modeled something up and then sent it off to the customer, who seemed OK with the design, but later he asked that I reverse the colors, i.e, the original design called for the blue anodizing in the grooves and the dimples, with the rest of light being bare Ti--which is what I had suggested, since the Ti colors are then protected almost permanently from wear.

I did that, sent it off, and after pointing out how poorly the Ti would wear, we agreed to stick with the original coloring.

But, take a look at these, and let me know if anyone might be interested in such a color design:

BluedSlant-2.jpg

BluedVert.jpg

I still think the original design will look great, once I turn down the body to reveal the bare Ti, but as someone who likes blue, I think the above style isn't so bad either, except that it would wear away eventually. Of course, the dimples need to be bare Ti, too. Guess it could always be re-anodized down the road. :devil:

hamheart

Enlightened
wow that looks great fred. :drool::twothumbs:D

P.S. I am really excited to see the other design on the finished light.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really a blue guy, but I do like the design and buy it in a different color. :grin2:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, and that's why the finished product will be bare Ti, except for the grooves and dimples. Still, there are some people who treat their lights with kid gloves that might be suitable for the style shown.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Very nice work Fred. :)

I'm impressed with how accurately the blue is delineated from the non-blue.

Is this difficult to achieve?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
easilyled,

Not hard to do if you've got a lathe, or mill. The narrow grooves and dimples were cut into the body first, then it was anodized blue, then the shallow, but wider longitudinal grooves were cut, exposing the bare Ti. Sharp tools help, though, to keep the edges clean.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite done, still need to make the LE and a few tweaks, but getting closer. I sanded the pieces down and did a preliminary polish on the light:

BaredTi-Slant-2.jpg

BaredTi-Vert-2.jpg

BaredTi-Middle.jpg

The completed light will use a rechargeable AA, have a three-level driver and a Seoul P4. The diameter is less than 1" and the length is 3.75". This uses a click switch, rather than being my usual twisty design.

For those with a creative bent, I need a name for this light! :devil:

Free P7 to the person who comes up with the name that I use. :D

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Blue anodizing, AA, clickie, 3-driver... where do I sign?! Fred, that is stunning and I'm once again amazed at your creations! :faint::twothumbs I'm a big fan of blue which is a colour I gravitate towards especially in my photography... I like the fact you are exploring colour in your other designs and reminds me a bit of the Indian Princess. The blue anodizing is incredible - looks great!

As for name... since I am a huge fan of your Luce di Notte, I was thinking of keeping with the Italian theme and also highlighting the blue which is really fantastic and not a colour normally used in lights. How about 'Cielo Sereno'? Rough translation... "Blue Sky"... 'A cielo blu' is literal translation in Italian for a blue sky but I prefer 'Cielo Sereno' as I think it's more fitting. :D

Last edited: