Do you tell NON-CPF'ers how much your LIGHTS cost?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you tell NON-CPF\'ers how much your LIGHTS cost?

i'm going to a memorial day party and sooner or later somebody will need a light. if i whip out my A2 somebody will ask how much. i hate this part cause i don't want to go into why it costs so much, nor do i want to lie. what to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

i'll probably take the E1e/KL1 too, at risk of being the light geek. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Do you tell NON-CPF\'ers how much your LIGHTS cost?

ask them how much they weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i usually don't try to make my insanity quite so evident, but most people are keen enough to detect it anyway. if i really don't want someone to know, i'll just say it's worth more than their life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just tell them it's like buying a Ferrari over a Lancer Evo... It's the sentimentality...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

9 times out of 10 (and don't forget that 87% of Americans make up their own statistics!), you get what you pay for! Technology, Quality, & Reliability isn't free! We're not talking plastic PR2 "Wally World" Circus lights here! (although I have seen some great mods on inexpensive frames!)

"Wow, I've never seen a Mini M@g that bright before...how much and where did you get that?"

Let's see what's a BB500, McFlood reflector, saphire lens, Kroll, and 2 lithium batteries add up to compared to the price of the MM itself? (Did I leave anything out?)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

If they specifically ask me how much the light I'm using costs and where they can get one, I'll tell them.
But I won't volunteer that information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you tell NON-CPF\'ers how much your LIGHTS c

tkl, you could always use the old "if I tell you I'd have to kill you!" and leave it at that.

I personally would wait till they had a mouthful of beer and were facing away from me and then spring it on them and watch the fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
Just tell them it's like buying a Ferrari over a Lancer Evo... It's the sentimentality...

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend just bought an EVO, possibly the best handling car I've ever been in.

BTW, sometimes I lie about the price of the lights, depends on the person will be impressed or shocked.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

V8... I'd prefer the STi WRX to the Evo... Better potential and a more pleasing eye design...

---------------

The other thing that gets them is the 100,000 hour runtime... Tell them the light will probably still light up with batteries long after they've passed away, and that gets them...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

Funny you should mention this particular subject -- when I clicked on my Arc LSL-P at work last night, I got the "What kind of light is that?" And the follow-up question: "How much did you pay for it?"

I didn't quite have the courage to say how much... not to mention the additional cash that went into modding this light with some 1.0 ohm SMT resistors, Schott B270 lens, and glow-powder. I gave the pat answer of "...it cost a bit" -- only to have that response intercepted by another co-worker who said, "That's an Arc LS - probably a Premium... what, $120, $130?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Yes, I get a few strange looks at work... I can't get away with anything nowadays. Well at least I'm not the only Flashaholic around town...

-Jim

B@rt

Flashaholic

So is he a
fc26e352.gif
or a member here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
(If not, he should be... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

People are quite astonished when they hear how much I paid for my Elektrolumens modded 5W cyan until i tell them the price of an unmodded mag at Halfords!
£40 is good money for a torch that should last me a lifetime and hopefully my decendants could pass on!

Kirk

Enlightened

I try not to tell anybody how much my lights cost because none of my friends or the people I work with understand. It's amazing, but they'll spend tons of money on their hobby of fishing, cars, Longaberger baskets, Fenton glassware, and etc., but when I say I spent about $75 for this light or that, they about choke! I'd rather have a useful and cool-looking new or vintage light than a hunk of Fenton glass that just sits there waiting to be broken.
Kirk

Greta

Flashaholic

Just tell them that when they need it, it's priceless... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

now that I have spent a tiny bit over $600 for a keychain light. I think I am afraid to tell anyone how much I spent that is not a Flashaholic

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you'd probably scare half the people here who already ARE flashaholics...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's like an X990 and an E2e... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Ah, but he's a TRUE Flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you tell NON-CPF\'ers how much your LIGHTS c

So-called Normal people don't understand why we spend so much money on a single flashlight. We don't understand why so-called normal people spend so much money on useless objects. Goes both ways.

To those who ask, and are shocked by the answer: ask them what they spend money on, then act shocked, and reply that at least mine are useful (if possible).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
ask them how much they weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif you know what, i'm think i'm going to use that. lol

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
Ah, but he's a TRUE Flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's a heck of a lot better than being a FALSE Flashaholic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

crap...just realized i spelled said [/i]weight[/i] instead of weigh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif