My new aspheric toy(s)

ahorton

Enlightened
Nothing particularly special, but I wanted to show off my new toy(s) which will be used to make other toys.

An Aspheric Lens that I bought.

Picture122-1.jpg

Or rather, a few hundred lenses I bought, direct from a manufacturer in China. They are not interested in selling less than about 500 but I wanted to make a bunch of 20 and 50 led 4wd spot lights for some friends who liked my aspheric cree headlamp. Fortunately they only cost me a few dollars each at that quantity.

Picture129-1.jpg

I only have a cheap digital camera and don't really know how to use it well, so the beamshot is bad. In real life it appears very crisp.

Picture119-1.jpg

Dimensions:
30mm wide, including 2mm lip around the outside. So the lens is effectively 26mm wide.

2mm thick at the edges, 16mm in the middle

die is projected best when the (flat) back of the lens is held around 6.5mm from the top of the XR-E dome. So it collects a lot of light.

The projected die is about 85-90mm wide at 1000mm. While this isn't as tight as a 50mm lens will give you, I think it's pretty good for how compact it is.

I am very happy with this lens and can't wait to start making multi aspheric lights. (Yes I have been inspired by the data-bank 70)

ahorton

Enlightened
:thinking: So, you bought 500 pcs of these... :eek: :wow:

Yes it was a big spend, but I plan to use at least a hundred of them in the next few months. These are really excellent lenses and I couldn't find the same quality anywhere else for less than AUD$20-30 per lens. So it was still cheaper for me to buy way too many than to buy the hundred I needed.

The expensive bit will be buying LEDs to go with them! I can't afford to buy 500 XR-Es at once!