EternaLight?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
worth getting? i would think so...not so much if your looking for a serious illumination tool, but they can't be beat for a cool toy and high level coolness factor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

not sure about the best place to get one though...you might try clicking on the cpf banners... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Pi is blue,

I think they are great. I have four of them. I take them along on Boy Scout camping trips and we all have a good time with them. It takes a little bit to figure them out (I even read the owners manual), but you can use them as a straight flashlight also.

One of the biggest advantages is that you can use it full power, or dim it down to a lower level for long battery run times. All of this in one light.

The major disadvantage is that you have to go through some steps to get it to dim down. The shape of the light also takes a little while to get use to. Another disadvantage is that the price is a little spendy.

My favorite is the Elite Max.

Tom

shrap

Enlightened
They're pricey. They also lose from a brightness/$ ratio, and also a size/$ ratio. I think most of the modes are gimmicks.

The only regulated one is the most expensive one.

They look like they carry easily though, with the cell-phone form factor and the belt clip carrying case. That's the only way I could justify getting one, if I EDC'ed it and actually used it often enough.

And to bring up another thread: they use odd numbers of batteries, how annoying.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
I own several and have given a couple away as presents. I like them and think they have their place. The big plus they have is being dimmable which gets you two things: 1) You have a "bright" and a "dim" light in one package and 2) You can trade off run time versus battery life if the circumstances dictate. Using "AA" batteries is a plus as they are the cheapest and most readily available worldwide. They are also very durable lights. For these reasons I use my Eternalights as the general "emergency" lights around the house and in the cars and carry one with me on trips.

As far as cost goes, I agree that the list price can look a little steep. However, I don't pay list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif They are usually available at discounts. I have had the best luck on Ebay, where you often can get the basic Ergo3 model for about $23-$25 and the ErgoXRay for $30-$35. However, that is not a sure thing--depends on the supply at any particular time and well as who else bids (just like everything else on Ebay, I guess). But if you were patient, I bet you could come close to those prices. Otherwise, there are several reputable web dealers who would be willing to sell to you at smaller discounts than those I have just listed.

Hope this helps.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Ergo 3 and the Elite XRay. I like them both, but I think that there are diminishing returns as you buy the more expensive models. The Elite XRay is noticeably heavier than the Ergo, and I don't find the Elite's magnet to be very useful. As far as the EliteMax is concerned, the manufacturer's own web site shows that you're better off NOT using the regulation if you use lithium batteries.

I do recommend using lithiums with any model of Eternalight, because you get a "flatter" brightness curve and longer battery life. I keep my Ergo in the car, and the lithium batteries allow it to work in cold weather, too.

So if you're not quite sure about the Eternalights, I recommend getting the inexpensive Ergo 3 and running it off lithium batteries.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Eternalite. The big question these days is, why spend $ for the eternalite when there are other choices in multi-stage LED lights? E.g., SF L1 will get you a low and high beam. PT Aurora will get you several choices of beams.

I think the answer is the range the Eternalite has. The low beam is so low, it works as a good night light (and provides plenty of light for simple navigation for night-adjusted eyes), and it can run this way for hundreds of hours. On high beam with lithium batteries, it's got to be putting out 8ish lumens, which is bright enough for a whole lot of things. I think it's a fantastic camping, hotel, or power outage light -- a wide range of light output, and can run insanely long when you want to conserve power.

Aside from the dimmer, I've used a couple of other modes. The momentary-on mode is very useful at times. And I occasionally put the light in "dazzle" mode, which fascinates the kids. Hey, I did say it's a great hotel light, not just for the various modes (including night light), but because it'll distract the kids for at least 20 minutes at a time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Two-stage luxeon lights are better EDCs, as are the LED/Xenon hybrids, IMO. Eternalite is best choice for some important more-nichey applications.

Joe

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Can the EternaLight EliteMax run on rechargeables? And is it brighter than the PT Aurora? Beamshots?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the EliteMax instruction manual:

"...functions well on a variety of batteries. Nickel Cadmium, Nickel Metal Hydride, Alkaline and Lithium L91 type batteries, and all other chemistries that are between 1 and 1.7 volts per cell in AA size are usable."

Don't know how to answer on the brightness. Someone?

shrap

Enlightened
EliteMax = 4 Leds
Aurora = 3 Leds

EliteMax is fully regulated - not just boost - so it will be at full brightness until the batteries die, regardless of what batteries are used. Aurora is not regulated and will be at full brightness only at very beginning, then it continually drops brightness.

See the graph at http://www.techass.com/el/elm4z/index.php?techass=d2e31e9bf8edc40853ae7ef42944fbc6
to see what regulation does, and how it compares to a non-regulated light.