Thought you found all the uses for flashlights?

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Hey guys, just showing what I use my Fenix TK10 for most of the time. Detailing and paint correction.

Before:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/qbmurderer13/blackfitdetail034.jpg

After:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/qbmurderer13/blackfitdetail035.jpg

I love it since its small and easily fits in my pocket. I bought it for detailing purposes but use it for just about everything. Got bit by the flashlight bug :crackup:

Although I normally use my 500w halogens for this work though.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh68/qbmurderer13/blackfitdetail022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Using an abrasive polish and an orbital buffer. Its about an 8 hour process, sometimes longer depending on size and condition of the car.

They're more commonly called swirls and are usually caused by improper washing technique or products.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Neat application for a flashlight. :thumbsup:

(Btw, you probably want to resize those photos a bit. They're larger than the 800 * 800 pixel max limit that the rules allow.)

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Using an abrasive polish and an orbital buffer. Its about an 8 hour process, sometimes longer depending on size and condition of the car.

They're more commonly called swirls and are usually caused by improper washing technique or products.

You use an orbital? I'm surprised with your level of involvement you're not using a PC, Makita, or Flex

Tip for all you guys out there, don't use normal towels to wash your car! At the very least get a decent soap (Meg's Gold Class is widely available) and get a microfiber mitt ($4-5 will get you something MUCH better than a bath towel)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we may have a fellow "Autopia'n" here :wave:

Nice swirl removal job, I used to do the same thing professionally, but now just do it on my own time. Lot's of good people on that forum as well, it's the CPF equivalent for auto detailer's :)

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Why does the first pic appear to be a black car and the second a silver car? Is it not a before and after pic?

The power of a good detail. In much the same way as you have seen some black cars that are heavily swirl look flat and almost whitish because it's catching all of the light and scattering it, the camera captures the swirls well because they are more easily focusable, while in the second pictue it should be a deep, liquid gloss, but evidently the lack of swirl makes it slightly harder for the camera to focus, as well aspossibly because some of the reflected light is directed at the lens.

Surprised there are a couple of autopians on here! I have to confess the first time I saw a Fenix was on autopia (someone had a "light of truth") and at the time I was aghast by how much he spent on a flashlight... flash forward a few months, and here I am, lol

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
You use an orbital? I'm surprised with your level of involvement you're not using a PC, Makita, or Flex

Tip for all you guys out there, don't use normal towels to wash your car! At the very least get a decent soap (Meg's Gold Class is widely available) and get a microfiber mitt ($4-5 will get you something MUCH better than a bath towel)

I am using a Flex. I meant orbital as in random orbital. Is there a difference? :confused:

Autopia FTW :twothumbs

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
I am using a Flex. I meant orbital as in random orbital. Is there a difference? :confused:

Autopia FTW :twothumbs

No, its just orbital buffers generally refer to the $30 deals you find at every hardware store (the things that are just a pad with motor on top.

Then you have normal dual actions (PC, G110, UDM) that stop spinning if enough pressure is applied (just vibrates) and forced dual actions (flex, makita) that force the pad to spin at a few hundred rpm

Finally, you have rotaries...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A 200+ lumens LED light is excellent for locating fine surface scratches on a car's paint job. Especially on a silver or white car where such scratches can be very difficult to see....

Such a light also comes in handy when you have access to a color-matching, universal, compound designed to buff out such surface scratches. Nothing like standing by the hood of your ride, searching for the same surface scratches that took you 5 seconds to find, and now after 5 minutes; you can't find them. :twothumbs

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a totally related topic to your actual title but totally unrelated to your thread on cars, I found a nice usage for my LED flashlights the other night when I came home.

Try not to laugh to loud. I did a sweep of my front yard with the light the other night when I came home about 01:00. I noticed that some of the ivy was a different color than the rest and said, that sure is odd.

It turns out the weeds were lighting up a pale greyish bluish color while the ivy was a very dark green. I could spot the weeds and differentiate them from the Ivy that I had never noticed in broad daylight. Next day I ripped out a whole bunch of them. Its amazing how these things just keep showing me things in a "whole new light". :whistle: