PhlatLight new SST-90 LED

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
So does anyone know if this new LED is being used yet in
flashlights?
Has anyone ordered a sample to experiment with?

http://www.led-professional.com/content/view/1285/29/

It's made by Luminus Devices, Inc and is said to produce up to
2,500 lumens when driven at full input (20W? a guess)

That sounds pretty awesome to me! :faint:

I am imagining a head with a cluster of 3 of theses puppies!! :huh:

I wonder how much heat sinking would be needed?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you need a really good heatsink. It is a single die LED but the die is 3x3mm so it'll get really hot driven at 9A.

Would be nice to get one for testing but I think they'll be pretty expensive :(.

rayman

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
considering their current lineup seems to sell around 75 bucks a pop, these new white ones could be 80 or 90 smackeroonies! Interesting, though, large single-die LED, good point light source...

Gryloc

Enlightened
Just consider the price divided by nine. It should not be much more expensive than 9 1mm^2 die emitters. Its nice seeing a single emitter that can produce that many lumens. Mated with a bigger reflector, you can get a nice, donut-less beam! If you are up to the investment, and you need a brighter light than what you can get from the typical quad-emitter Maglite, then this looks like an awesome product. An easy mod would be this on H22A's P7 heatsinks in a Mag. If you use a custom body and a turbo head, then you will have a monster! How about attaching it to a huge heatsink and putting it into a lantern with a large reflector? This looks like it could be a fun emitter to use. Boy, things are going fast in the LED world lately, and the future looks bright :cool:... Thanks for the info!

-Tony

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
What circuitry would be used to drive one of these LED's?
And how many/kind of batteries?

They are 9mm square, that's kind of big to fit in a existing
model for modding!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think of it like any other single die package, then it gets easier to consider how to manage it.

For light management, a reflector is not going to be of much use - just go down the aspherical lens path right away. Shape the beam to your desires by defocusing the setup.

LEDs are most efficient when under driven - which makes this thing wonderful for even 5 amps. That can be run with a single 18650 cell with 0.5 - 1 ohm resistor at 2 C - no problem, no fancy driver needed.

5 amps x 3.5 Vf is already pushing 20 watts pretty hard. This is right at the edge of hand held comfort with passive cooling.

If my seat of the pants engineering is close, this thing will be easy to work with. Perfect for my "project tornado" light. (2 of them of course )

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
If you think of it like any other single die package, then it gets easier to consider how to manage it.

For light management, a reflector is not going to be of much use - just go down the aspherical lens path right away. Shape the beam to your desires by defocusing the setup.

LEDs are most efficient when under driven - which makes this thing wonderful for even 5 amps. That can be run with a single 18650 cell with 0.5 - 1 ohm resistor at 2 C - no problem, no fancy driver needed.

5 amps x 3.5 Vf is already pushing 20 watts pretty hard. This is right at the edge of hand held comfort with passive cooling.

If my seat of the pants engineering is close, this thing will be easy to work with. Perfect for my "project tornado" light. (2 of them of course )

What do you mean a reflector would be of no use? :confused:

You mean dont use one at all?

Gryloc

Enlightened
I am sure if you have a big enough of a reflector, it would work. I made a 3mm x 3mm die simulation by taking a piece of diffused plastic, carefully measuring the die shape, then masking off the die with black electrical tape. This way, if I illuminate the back of the diffused plastic with another LED, then only a 3x3 area will be lit. I then try to focus this larger lit area with various reflectors to see how a big die will focus. It created a decent beam with a Streamlight Survivor and the new Maglight LED 2D (rebel) reflector. However, the only thing that I cannot simulate is the increased apparent size of the die when it is magnified by the large dome of the SST-90. You never know until you try. It has to work with a large reflector from a lantern/spotlight, though.

My big question is where would we be able to get one to try when they are released? I hope they sell single quantities. I doubt that I am eligible for a sample. I was thinking of placing it in a Mag and drive it up to 20-30 watts (or until the flashlight cannot dissipate the heat from a medium long burst). Luckily, if you put this in a Maglite, then you can expect slightly better heat transfer by having it connected to H22A's P7 heatsink. It has to be better than the kind of thin multi-emitter heatsink that is being driven with the same amount of wattage with four separate emitters. Is the 20W amount the max amount of wattage that Maglights have been know to be able to dissipate? I always wondered that. It would be great when you underdrive it to 2-3A, or even less. Powering it by a nice buck circuit (like the Shark Buck) with a dimmer potentiometer would be awesome. 1 to 2000lm in a quick twist of a knob.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My big question is where would we be able to get one to try when they are released? I hope they sell single quantities. I doubt that I am eligible for a sample.
I put in a sample request. Don't know if they are available just yet. I think this definitely has potential to be used in portable lighting.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
considering their current lineup seems to sell around 75 bucks a pop, these new white ones could be 80 or 90 smackeroonies! Interesting, though, large single-die LED, good point light source...

Yeah, they are a bit expensive now, but the price is sure to drop
once they get into production!?

Still, I think it would be fun to experiment with.
At the rate LED technology is advancing, we may soon see one with
a smaller footprint with even higher output!

Yikes!! high performance flashlights of the future!! :twothumbs lovecpf

Think of it, 5,000+ lumens in a EDC flashlight for $59.95!!

(dont laugh, I can dream, cant I!?)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago, we used to routinely pay over $ 60 for a premium bin Lux V. (150 - 200 lumens at that time) If you look at it from that perspective, the pricing is not bad.

cerberuss

Newly Enlightened
I'm really impressed with how low the forward voltages are... If Im reading the graph correctly, if you were to use an AMC driver sandwich to power it off a single 18650, it would only fall out of a flat 1000lumen regulation when the battery reaches below 2.8v! (underdriven but cool none the less)

I'm just concerned about the size of the die.. 3x3 is fine but it's placed under a magnifying dome ala mc-e ... which hopefully wont increase apparent die size too much... I'll be waiting for saablusters tests

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldnt it require a HUGE reflector? Bigger than the DEFT!! :confused:
It doesn't matter what you put it in. It all depends on what beam spread you are after. Obviously if you are trying to match the beam spread that a light will give you using an XR-E you will have to dramatically increase the size of the head. It should work just fine behind the DEFT's lens. The beam will not be as tight or throw as far but it will work.

Gryloc

Enlightened
saabluster, you are right. I have a certain idea of what I think is good throw, but other members will have a different idea of what is a good, throwy beam. I would be happy with a Mag that has a beam a bit wider than that of the typical P7 Mag, but it would be completely donut-less. If there would be a dome-less version of this emitter, then the beam would look even smaller. With the SST-90 behind a cheap spotlight reflector, I bet that the beam would be very tight (to me). I bet many think that the beam from a Streamlight Survivor is tight (very pencil beam like), but to me, it is too tight for typical use (for me -I dont hunt or need to light up much too far away). I am just excited about the massive light output!

Last edited:

Oznog

Enlightened
Consider this problem:
The chassis wiring ampacity for 9A would be a min of 21ga. In this heated area around the LED, that may not be valid. It may not be possible to use the thinner wires we'd like to use.

I have some super-thin Teflon-coated wire I've been using for a long time, but I doubt that'll work for interconnects on this job. I love the Teflon-coated because it doesn't shrink back when the wire is soldered.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
With those ultra-high current leds, i hope there will be some efficient high current drivers, too.

Its still not that easy to get 2.8A drivers for P7...

Illum

Flashaholic
What circuitry would be used to drive one of these LED's?
And how many/kind of batteries?

They are 9mm square, that's kind of big to fit in a existing
model for modding!

no one said they were meant for flashlight modding, It actually sounds good as a road light though:D