Flashlights In Video Games

TheGogglesDoNothing

Newly Enlightened
I was playing a new game called Killzone 2 this weekend and was dissapointed to see that so far the only light they have on any weapon is on the shotgun and they don't even list what kind. I have always wondered why in Video Games you have the option of getting new weapons for your characters, but you never see them get the option of finding new flashlights. You know like maybe have them start out with a pistol and an E01, and then can upgrade to bigger and more powerful carry and gun mounted lamps as they progress that give them better visibility and that they can also use as a melee weapon or something like that. I know i'd like to be in a game and crack somebody good with an M4-CB or a big ol' mag 6D. It might also get more people into flashlight culture if they go online and are checking out the models that they get in the game.

cslinger

Enlightened
Metal Gear Solid 4 did a nice job of upgrading weapons and including tac-lights that actually would stun an opponent for a very very short second or so.

My problem with lights in video games is they tend to be generally crappy in order to maintain the mood when in reality something like a little Fenix 1AA these days puts out more useable light then the average in game flashlight.

Doom 3 was the worst. Two words Duct Tape.

Chris

balou

Enlightened
Why was this thread moved to the Café while the Movies thread is allowed to stay there?

Both movies and video games tell stories, both are not real, both cost about the same to make nowadays, both have professional voice acting....

edit: not to mention that both feature product placement

TheGogglesDoNothing

Newly Enlightened
Why was this thread moved to the Café while the Movies thread is allowed to stay there?

Both movies and video games tell stories, both are not real, both cost about the same to make nowadays, both have professional voice acting....

edit: not to mention that both feature product placement

:( I was wondering the same thing, I thought maybe I screwed up posting it in there, it was moved before it ever hit the page.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my friends are sick of me going "you what kind of light I would be carrying if I was doing this in real life!" Of course we have to understand that if we could have a good light in most video games that need them we would for the most part kill the whole idea being presented. Like in left 4 dead I found my self scanning the room with the provided light tiring to find the enemy, well any good P7 flashlight would light the room up like the lights were on and make the whole "horror feel go away:ironic:, thus defeating the purpose" however I'd love to play a horror game with some sort of totally overpowering light like PH-50 or surefire beast 2, ext :faint: and go though a hunted house blinding my self around every corner from the light reflecting off of things and my the time my vision came back I'd have zombies ripping my arms off:duck:, or how about trying to pick up weapons or reading notes with everything completely overexposed:crackup:. I'd give $5 for every game if I could equip my 18 pound 4400 lumen Big beam 1766C, I don't care if it count as my weapon slot and I would have to put it away to actually shot something, it would still be funny:laughing:;)! I mean it might actually make things harder:ohgeez:. Though that's how I'd rather play:p.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Flashlight in Half-Life2 wasn't too bad. It did reasonable well and would dim out as the batteries ran down. Problem was that it didn't last for very long. The game also has flares which can be thrown down to light the way for a minute or so.

DOOM3 was a joke. Originally the game didn't have any light in it. Due to all the outrage, since most of the game is in the dark, they decided to add one with the first patch. ...and yeah, thank's for the high tech duct tape ID Software. They put a lot of thinking into that. (roll eyes)

carrot

Flashaholic
Why is Doom3 a joke? I enjoyed the pacing, and it is terrifying to know you can either see or shoot -- it actually made the game scarier and more enjoyable for me. Screw duct tape.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Why is Doom3 a joke? I enjoyed the pacing, and it is terrifying to know you can either see or shoot -- it actually made the game scarier and more enjoyable for me. Screw duct tape.

I mainly meant the flashlight situation was pretty bad. Regarding the rest of the game, there was so much anticipation for Doom3 and I don't feel that it lived up to expectation. It was given a lot of average reviews with very few ratings over 90%. The game didn't have any depth of character to it imo. The first few hours of play were great but after that it was the same, 'stumble around in dark corridors until something with claws and teeth tried to leap on you. You'd kill it and then proceed into the next dark ambush but the pace and scenery always felt the same. ID software seemed to focus too much on the gore aspect and not enough on game play and pace. During its creation their was a lot of emphasis on the graphics and music. They even hired Trent Reznor to come in and produce some evil, scary tracks for the game. In the end the the graphics and music just don't carry the game on their own. You really need all three which includes gameplay and pace which I felt were missing with Doom3.

When comparing it to Half-Life2 that game seemed to have a lot of depth to it. All kinds of different scenarios, you're fighting both men and creatures, you travel, explore and fight in urban sprawl, open country, dark towns, mine shafts and up into the mountains. You also operate many types of transportation like water boats and buggies. The weapons are better and the Zero Point Gravity Gun concept was revolutionary in first person shooters. Their is a real sense of adventure and some decent interaction with AI characters that help you along the way.

Just my 2 cents. :)

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked the flashlights in the Silent Hill series. They were never super-bright, but bright enough to make your way around the game. It gave the game that "tunnel vision" kind of feel to it, because you're very limited in what you can see in the dark.

IMO the first one used this effect the best.

Regarding Doom 3, I think it was geared more towards the "fright" factor, and it was definitely less about the story. I LOVE scary games like Doom 3, Silent Hill, etc.

I agree that Half-Life 2 has a story that's a lot more interesting and in-depth. I only got to play the demo, but it was nonetheless very cool.

Different strokes for different folks.:)