MCE Mod - How many Eneloops when run in 4s?

Hammer Train

Banned
Hi there! I've got a 3d mag with a 9aa-3d modamag battery holder. I want to run an M-bin WD-Tint MCE in 4s config (serial to all 4 dies). What is the max voltage from the batteries that these can generally handle? Can I use 9xAA or do I need to use a dummy cell and 8xAA? My eneloops show 1.46v each straight off the charger if this helps!
Thanks, Peter

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking at 3 Eneloops per die, so if all in series, direct drive... 12 Eneloops in series.

The data sheet shows that the forward voltage can range from 3.2 volts to 3.9 volts for each die... Just for 350mA, so this is kind of an approximation. If you end up with 3.9 for all of your dies, it will only be moderately bright.

This thread might do a lot better in the mod or LED forum. I'll leave it to a mod to decide if it gets moved or not.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there! I've got a 3d mag with a 9aa-3d modamag battery holder. I want to run an M-bin WD-Tint MCE in 4s config (serial to all 4 dies). What is the max voltage from the batteries that these can generally handle? Can I use 9xAA or do I need to use a dummy cell and 8xAA? My eneloops show 1.46v each straight off the charger if this helps!
Thanks, Peter

You need to use a resistor to direct drive or it will fry/underdrive your LED. Normal voltage to drive a MC-E serial was ~15v IIRC.