Newb wants a tactical light

Phantomd aka zach

Newly Enlightened
I am a newb and I am sorry for my ignorance!

I have been a closet flashaholic for a long time (I own 6 LED mag lights)

I have recently gotten into handguns and want to get a tactical light, I have read about as much as I can without going over my head...

here is what i am looking for:

-Bright, good throw (temporary blindness starts at what lux/lumens?)
-runtime on high is not important, a low longer lasting setting would be nice.
-Low(er) price is best $70-80 would be about max
-LED, I really like the color of my LED mags
-18650 batteries do not scare me, the ability to use other (common) batteries would be nice, but not required.

I have never seen a powerful light other then my 2,3,4 d-cell LED mags, so if someone can give me a comparison to those, or even what lumen they are rated I could get a good idea of what to expect.

I do a fair amount of camping/4-wheeling so the light would probably get a lot of usage there as well, although I always have my LED mags with me so runtime would be used up there and not with whatever you have to suggest.

"Tacticool" features are not necessary, I am more of a function over form guy, however given the option of equal lights, I would go for the cooler looking one...

-Zach

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind only being able to use the 18650s check out the EagleTac T10L. 255 lumen high, 60 lumen low. It can be had for approximately $68... excellent bang for the buck, imo.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the Jetbeam III M. The E2DL would be great too, but it's a fair bit over your budget.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
EagleTac P100A2 - uses 2 AA batteries and should be plenty bright -https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=716

Phantomd aka zach

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL is WAY out of my range, nice light I am sure....

Looks to me like there are three lights in my range,

Eagletac T10L
Jetbeam III (I like the military version)
Fenix TK10

I liked the simplicity of the Eagletac switch settings, however the infinite settings of the Jetbeam IBS seems alluring as well.

what does everyone have to say about the Fenix? or are these like all mid grade chinese parts (basically the same, different package)

What do i need to know about the 18650s how do I charge them?

-Zach

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Olight M20 Warrior Premium could be great too for your use...

250 Lumens, tactical strobe, medium AND low setting, eats the 18650 (not regulated though), optional SMO reflector for more throw, even optional remote switch for the use with firearms.

Be sure to have a look at it!

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
That Jetbeam sure looks tempting, I almost bought one yesterday and decided on a Tiablo A9, I know their 2 different purposes but I needed something I could really light-up a Coyote at a distance for a good rifle shot, I still may order the Jetbeam too, sure looks sweet :)

Dole

Newly Enlightened
what does everyone have to say about the Fenix? or are these like all mid grade chinese parts (basically the same, different package)

Fenix is definitely not mid-grade. I own the PD30 which in my opinion is everything you could ask for in a flashlight. (I always thouht it would make a great handgun light because it would be easy to hold onto along with a handgun) I'm sure all the TK series won't let you down either. But they really are quality built with excellent customer support from fenix-store and 4sevens. :twothumbs

Toaster

Enlightened
Take a look at Fenix TK11 R2. It's a fairly popular choice for LEOs on this forum.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac T10L
Fenix TK10

I liked the simplicity of the Eagletac switch settings, however the infinite settings of the Jetbeam IBS seems alluring as well.

I have the TK10 and the Jetbeam III M, and I'd say the quality is comparable (both very good). I prefer the TK10's beam most of the time, which has very bright, smooth spill but still throws pretty well. They both have the same UI, but the Jetbeam has the programmable low/strobe which is a bonus, and the Jetbeam is also a nicer looking light. If you do get the Jetbeam, I'd recommened a hybrid or textured reflector unless all you want is throw. The beam with smooth reflector is very ringy.

The TK11 is your rechargable alternative to the TK10. The reason I went with the TK10 is for the great balance of flood and throw. Maybe the TK11 has that too, but I was under the impression it's more on the throwy side.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
T

Sorry, I cant understand whether you're looking for a dedicated tactical light to use in conjunction with your handgun, or whether this is an EDC that will serve as a backup defensive light also (with or without a handgun). For a dedicated tactical light, IMO simple is good, and I don't see why infinite settings would be any kind of advantage. As an EDC, being able to preset a few settings definitely comes in handy, I understand it for that role. I always carry a light that can do everything from EDC to tactical (Novatac), but I have a dedicated light that is only and always stored with my handgun (C2 w/ Malkoff). If you're a civilian, this type of setup ends up very appealing, absolute simplicity of use for the defensive light with no compromises due to EDC criteria. Just suggest you consider this approach. Since you will definitely be buying another light now that you're infected, pick up the EDC or dedicated tactical now, then the other in a few months.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a dedicated tactical light, IMO simple is good, and I don't see why infinite settings would be any kind of advantage. As an EDC, being able to preset a few settings definitely comes in handy, I understand it for that role.

The Jetbeam III M is, I think still tactical despite the 'infinite settings'. It's a simple 2 stage light (twist the head tight for high, loose for low or strobe). Only the low/strobe mode is programmable, but once programmed it's the same UI as the TK10/11. Well, I don't want to get in to a debate over what's 'tactical', but my point is the programmable level doesn't complicate anything once you've set your low how you want it.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I am a newb and I am sorry for my ignorance!

I have been a closet flashaholic for a long time (I own 6 LED mag lights)

I have recently gotten into handguns and want to get a tactical light, I have read about as much as I can without going over my head...

here is what i am looking for:

-Bright, good throw (temporary blindness starts at what lux/lumens?)
-runtime on high is not important, a low longer lasting setting would be nice.
-Low(er) price is best $70-80 would be about max
-LED, I really like the color of my LED mags
-18650 batteries do not scare me, the ability to use other (common) batteries would be nice, but not required.

I have never seen a powerful light other then my 2,3,4 d-cell LED mags, so if someone can give me a comparison to those, or even what lumen they are rated I could get a good idea of what to expect.

I do a fair amount of camping/4-wheeling so the light would probably get a lot of usage there as well, although I always have my LED mags with me so runtime would be used up there and not with whatever you have to suggest.

"Tacticool" features are not necessary, I am more of a function over form guy, however given the option of equal lights, I would go for the cooler looking one...

-Zach

A EagleTac T10LC2. Look no further. One of the best lights out now. Simple two mode hi and medium. Can use 2 CR123 or 18650's. I would say it has a medium spot. It had decent throw and a big useful spill on it. It is one of the brightest out there also. It can be had for about $60. It is a great deal.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Looks to me like there are three lights in my range,

Eagletac T10L
Fenix TK10

If you go with the EagleTac, here is a little info in them. The T10L is a 18650 battery only. The output is regulated and is 255lumen. The T10LC2 takes either 2x CR123 batteries or 1 18650. The output with the CR123's is 295 lumens! It is about equal to the output of the T10L when you use the 18650(about 255), but it is not regulated with this battery like the T10L is. The light will dim as the battery is depleted.

I think the original T10C2 is being replaced by the T10LC2. It is the same light, but now you have the option of running a non regulated 18650 and getting 2.5+ hours of good light out of it.

The Fenix TK10 and 11 would be a great choice too.

Here is a great website with reviews for you to peek at.

http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html

Enjoy

Last edited:

Latest posts