• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nylon Ra Diffuser Bezels anyone? (Ra Clicky / Ra Twisty) Feeler thread (New Model!)

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot off the lathe...

Diffusive Nylon bezel for Ra Clicky and Ra Twisty. :cool:

I could make these for sale if there is enough interest. This one has the same dimensions as the stock bezel, sans crenelations.

tailstandoff.jpg
tailstandon.jpg

bezelclose.jpg

headstandonclose.jpg

onsideclose.jpg

New Diffuser bezel...

This one is long and forgoes the lens, it screws on and seals with the reflector O-Ring. The effect is nothing short of awesome, this thing lights up an entire room.

alone.jpg
tailstand.jpg

onside1.jpg

onside2.jpg

Last edited:

camaro09

Enlightened
Re: Nylon Ra Bezels anyone? (Ra Clicky / Ra Twisty) Feeler thread

I think freakin sweet!!!!!!!!

How did threading it go? I know sometimes if nylon threads arnt deep enough they can strip kinda easily.

GryphonQ

Newly Enlightened

These would be fun, especially if you made them out of glow-in-the-dark material.

aikiman44

Enlightened

+1 GITD, if possible.:thumbsup:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

How did threading it go? I know sometimes if nylon threads arnt deep enough they can strip kinda easily.

No problems while threading.

Depth of thread should not be an issue. Thread depth is the same as it would be on a metal part. Durability could be an issue however, but so far so good.

mikepesikan

Newly Enlightened

Glow in the dark would be sweet :thumbsup:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nocam

Newly Enlightened

100% in. GID or not, I want one!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

100% in. GID or not, I want one!

Keep in mind, these parts are manually machined from bar stock. These arn't injection molded or even CNCd, so cost is a little on the high side.

Unless I can figure a way to significantly speed up the process, I think these would need to sell for about $55.

Still in?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is nice looking. Good work.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did some googling around for GIDT plastic rod and so far I'm coming up dry.

I wonder if it would be feasible to mix some G10 (That's what it's called, right?) powder with clear epoxy and cast blanks that could then be finish machined.

I think that would work, but I'm not sure how durable it would be, might be too brittle.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Answered my own question. The super bright GIDT material is called V10, not G10.

Last edited:

streetmaster

Enlightened

I don't know man, I think if you can't find material that's already GID, then you probably won't be able to do it. How do you think epoxy would behave on the lathe? And who knows how it would react to a hot LED.:shrug: I just think GID nylon would be best, but if it's not available...:(

Afterthought: I wonder how black nylon would look? With trits maybe? Hell, you could make red, orange, blue ones. Can you get nylon stock in those colors??

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you think epoxy would behave on the lathe? And who knows how it would react to a hot LED.:shrug:

One way to find out. It wouldn't be an expensive experiment. Epoxy is cheap enough in small quantities, GIDT powder is not expensive.

I'm not so concerned with machining it, and my gut feeling is that a flashlight will never get hot enough to damage it. My main concern would be brittleness, If you were to drop your flashlight with an epoxy bezel on a hard surface, would it survive? Or would it shatter into pieces? My guess is shatter into pieces. But, like I said, there's one way to find out for sure.

Can you get nylon stock in those colors??

I don't know about all the colors you mention, but yes colors are no problem, just that they are opaque. So, I could make green ones, for example, but they would not act as a diffuser or filter. It would just be a green bezel.

streetmaster

Enlightened

I don't know about all the colors you mention, but yes colors are no problem, just that they are opaque. So, I could make green ones, for example, but they would not act as a diffuser or filter. It would just be a green bezel.
I wasn't thinking in the way of a diffuser anyway. I just thought people would like different colored bezels. It was just a thought.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't thinking in the way of a diffuser anyway. I just thought people would like different colored bezels. It was just a thought.

I think it would be cool too and it can certainly be done. Next time I place a materials order, I'll tack on some colored Nylon.

streetmaster

Enlightened

If the epoxy idea doesn't work out and you have some left, you can put a channel around the white bezel and fill it with the V10 epoxy.

Or even just drill a few holes and fill them with it.