Need help finding the right flashlight

asender

Newly Enlightened
I would like to ask some help in finding the right flashlight.

My requirements:
- Maximum Output: ~200 lumen (could be more or less, say within 150-300 lumen range) in spot mode
- Variable Output: at least 4 settings or infinitely variable
- Power source: standard AA batteries
- Head: focusing head or compatible diffuser. I.e., not just fixed spotlight, like many, but a zoom head with flood mode, flood should have even distribution (no or minimum radial circles). I can live with a good diffuser attachment (like FM34), compatible with the flashlight.

Not required, but highly desired:
- Weather seal: should be working under downpour rain or in a poll of water (submerged). And I mean, it should be ON and working.

I was looking at models like Fenix LD20 (no focusing) and NiteCore D20 (the same story). Bunch of other manufacturers too...

Fenix E20 seems to have a nice flood mode, but has only one power setting.

I was looking at Fenix, NiteCore, EagleTac, SureFire and some others. Nothing found.

Anybody knows a flashlight that would match my requirements?

Thanks in advance

Konstantin

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Olight doesn't have focusing, most LED lights don't. So long as you're comfortable with just the stock beam and a diffuser, there's a wide range of lights from the manufacturers you listed that would work well.

A perennial Fenix favorite is the LD20, thanks to its excellent efficiency and straightforward multi-mode interface. It'll do just over three days on low, and it takes only a moment to master the button-and-bezel mode switching. $63 shipped here: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

And speaking of runtime, the current 2xAA champ is the Nitecore D20, which will run for about two weeks on minimum. It uses an infinitely variable brightness ramp, so you can only instantly access max and min, but has much lower low output than the Fenix, and matches its effeciency nicely. $73 shipped here: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=550

If you'd like to set your own modes, there's the JetBeam Jet I Pro EX, which uses a infinitely variable brightness ramp plus three modes that you set similar to station memories on a car radio, allowing you to tailor the flashlight to your exact needs. $68 here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiproexv2.html

Some others will probably recommend the Fenix TK20, a very straightforward two-mode light with a warm emitter and lots of throw for distance viewing. The only con is that the low mode is not very low, but it's very solid and powerful overall for only $57 shipped: https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=531

Gunner12

Flashaholic
- Maximum Output: ~200 lumen (could be more or less, say within 150-300 lumen range) in spot mode

Lumen is a measure of total output, not throw so what you will be looking for for throw is larger or deeper reflector.

The problem with reflectors is that there will always be an enpty ring when the light is defocused to "food" mode(diffuser might be better).

As you found out there are many lights that almost work but lack a flood mode or a diffuser. I know many of the lights have bottlecaps that can fit as a diffuser but I don't know of many FM34 type diffusers for them.

:welcome:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
LED flashlights tend not to have variable focusing because, quite honestly, it isn't really needed. On something like a MagLite, the focus was mainly a gimmick that was used to cover up the horrible beam pattern, but an LED emitter is much closer to a point source than the filament in an incandescent bulb, so reflectors can be designed to give you a smooth combination of hotspot plus spill. Together with the variable output on most lights, this covers most of the possibilities that a variable focus would give you - plus, as has been said, you can always put a diffuser on.

What's your application - do you have a specific use in mind for the variable focus ?

asender

Newly Enlightened
What's your application - do you have a specific use in mind for the variable focus ?

Yes, photography during heavy rain :) Flood mode is essential as I do not want to have a 20cm spot in the picture, but a 2-3 meters of rather even illumination. Other than that, I will use the flashlight for all the common purposes, find my way in the dark. That is where I would prefer more focused beam of light. And, of course, I can use it as a bicycle light. I need low power setting to read the map and several brightnesses for photography. :)

Thanks!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, photography during heavy rain :)
Excellent - that helps a lot . . . so you'll definitely need it waterproof then !

Since you want nice uniform illumination I definitely think that a diffuser is the way to go.