Weapon Light for an AR?

Rancid Badger

Newly Enlightened
Firstly, my apologies, I'm sure that this topic must have been "done to death" many moons ago, but I'm new so please forgive me...

I'm looking for some advice on which light would be most suitable for weapon mounting. I don't like "cheap tat" and will happily spend sensible money on a quality product.

My criteria are:
Must have mounting option for 1" scope (my AR has a Hogue forend & therefore no utility rails).
Must have the option for a remote pressure switch tail.
Red filter an option but not a necessity.
Will pref run on CR-123A rechargeables (qty 2-4).
Should not weigh more than my rifle!

I'm principally going to be using this for "full dark" pest control and ideally will need a useable beam throw of around 100-150yrds. I'd be quite happy with LED instead of incandescent as this will give (I understand) a better runtime, but not if it is at the expense of range.

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

John

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
I know alot of people may think they are overrated, but Surefire is the way to go in my opinion. They have lights with mounts on them already or you can purchase standard 1inch diameter lights that you can mount. I have a M982 with a Larue Tactical quick detach mount. I do, however, have rails on my AR (Vltor VIS). If youre looking for decent throw at 100-150 yards, I would definitely recommend a 4 cell like my M982. (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=191) I, personally, would also recommend that you use a Xenon as opposed to LED. While LEDs run longer and brighter at close range, I dont know of any that throw as well. You should definitely check out some of the mods you can do on this forum as Im sure someone has made some crazy-throw LED by now. You could also purchase the the handheld version of the light (http://www.surefire.com/M4-Devaster) and mount it with standard 1inch rings, but you will need to purchase the remote tailcap separately. You also have the option for filters (red, blue, IR, and opaque). Although these are great, reliable lights, they come with a hefty price tag. I spent close to $700 for the light w/mount, filter, and replacement tape switch.

There are other brands out there. You may want to look into PentagonLight, Streamlight, or Insight...but I dont really know their products too well so cant recommend anything.