canadian tire flashlight?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are more illuminated minds here than mine, yet I will offer some insight. For $30 you can do better.

The 3 AAA set up is known around CPF not to provide regulation or decent run time. Yes, a Cree LED is an improvement over the first 5mm LEDS, but it can be had in better lights for less money. The "140lumens", if correct, probably won't last long.

If you want a nice light that runs on commonly available cells like AA, there are many options available. Don't be afraid to spend more than $30 in some cases. Even some CR123 lights at $20 (Lumapower has one, and Dorcy makes a sinlge celll battery drainer) would be better, MUCH better!

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
so can you reomend some more lights that are $30CDN or less. the reason i was opting for this one is becuase it was a local purchase. i thought i could go through dx and get a ultrafire but who knows if it will work or not

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Look at the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 from shiningbeam(or other lights ther withing your price range). Their 6% off coupon is "cpfuser".

It might have less output at first but it will keep that output much better then a 3 AAA light.

I'm not sure what import tax would be though.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The body of that light seems to be exactly the same as a brinkman 3 AAA led light that I got in a store a while back (although mine is grey). However, mine has a lumileds LED, not a cree.
I can't vouch for the brightness or runtime (since mine has a different LED), but the body is well constructed and pretty sturdy for a $30 light.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
can anybody give me a ballpark on run time like what are we talkin 2-3 hours? on lithium AAA. i dont need the marathon light that runs for 30 hours just a cheap but bright light with decent throw. i really do want to buy locally because if i buy online ill end up with border charges as usual.

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Canadian Forces, are you close to a Costco?

Before Christmas I was buying a 2-pack of 2AA Cree lights for $15.00 (Edmonton, Canada). The price probably went up, but they are smokin' bright and reasonably tough (for Chinese-built stuff). Duracells included.

Avoid anything that runs on 3AAA. There are usually 20+ cheap springs and contacts in these things, each a potential point of failure. Run away.

Another thought: if you're near a Mountain Equipment Co-op, they have a Rebel-fired 2AA job with clickie for $24. Looks interesting. They don't stock cr@p in my experience.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently, energizer lithium aaa batteries are 1250 mah. Since the voltage is 4.5 volts, then you would get 5.625 watt hours. The light draws 3 watts so you should get at least an hour of runtime (if I am correct), although it probably won't be regulated.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
i am about an hour away from costco and i would also need to get a membership to purchase something in the store that would not work for me. aslo mjolnir do you recall how far that flashlight you had threw a beam. i would imagine this noma would have the same reflector as it has the same body.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have a similar reflector, but the LED on mine is somewhat smaller than a CREE LED. It seems like the hole might need to be a small fraction of a millimeter larger in order to fit an XR-E. However, it did have a pretty tight spot, and it threw pretty well for its brightness (probably less than 60 lumens). If they use a similar reflector it will probably throw pretty well. However, they could have just as easily put a completely different reflector in.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery runtime of high powered 3*AAA flashlights is around 1 hour or a little less.
The output will drop constantly during that time with alkalines.
Even with NiMH output will drop from 140 to 90 lumens fairly quickly and stay at that level for a while before the final drop off.
Here is a typical runtime curve.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
Look at the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 from shiningbeam(or other lights ther withing your price range). Their 6% off coupon is "cpfuser".

It might have less output at first but it will keep that output much better then a 3 AAA light.

I'm not sure what import tax would be though.

I have the ROMISEN RC-N3 Q5....it's considerably brighter than a COLEMAN 3AAA CREE LED from CanadianTyre, much more pocketable and indeed...regulated for more than 50 min with RCR123
Although the ROMISEN is a about 26USD , so a bit more than 30CAD there's no comprison between those 2 lights. I would have paied even double for the ROMISEN...
There is a long time since I gave up buying lights from CanadianTyre/Walmart/HomeDepot - canadian stores - in favour of good brands or even DX lights which are better considering the price.

Canadian Forces

Newly Enlightened
well i changed my mind yet again and bought that noma from can tire. it feel decently contructed took it all part. o rings where they need to be glass lens, plastic fin textured reflector. the beam surprised the hell out of me. its really decent. not noticeable artifacts or anything. have yet to find out the runtime but i will let you know as fasr as throw is concerned as well, havent taken it out yet. also in some quick comparisons it seems to keep up to my pd30 at about middle so around 70 lumens.

xmlaohan

Newly Enlightened
I got it two months before, it does't look too bright as 140lm,even not brighter than my 120lm TERMINATOR, HOWEVER I still like it as its good quality build and nice spill.

:kiss:

D:\My Documents\图片收藏\003

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my own tests, the brinkman I have is dunkable, at least from what I have seen. If the o-ring placement is the same, it should be fairly waterproof.