Outdoor Malkoff Suggestion

Newly Enlightened
I bought two surefire lights (6p & G2) for hiking and camping at night since my 3D maglite seemed to big to carry around at times. I bought a M60W for my 6p which works great, but runtime sucks on long hikes. I now want a Malkoff for my G2 and know that it needs to be be the low version which also suits my runtime needs. What I need help on is whether to get a flood version or regular version, I want a flood version for some diversity but don't know how useful it is outdoors hiking?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like flood version of anything. A concentrated beam is much more useful for anything IMO.

As for runtime - simple, bring several sets of spares. I EDC 3 sets usually.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular version is going to be better for all around lighting since it has a generous amount of spill.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I find a floodier beam much more useful for outdoor use. A hotspot tends to wash out your vision from the rest of your field of view. I find flood much more useful than throw 9 times out of 10.

"Throw is just for show"

M60WLF should do the trick.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My two cents is the regular version for throw, but I wanted to inquire if you will be with other folks. If so, they will definitely not appreciate a floody beam, as you'll have a much harder time not getting them in the eyes & blinding them with all of the bright spill (i.e. it's easier to keep a narrower beam out of their eyes).

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the exact same thing this evening. I would ask the following questions:

1) Is this light primarily for around the campsite, making/breaking camp, or,

2) is this light mostly for literally hiking/walking down the trail?

If number one, I might try the flood. If number two, I think you would benefit from the throw, being able to "reach" a bit more to see what is going on. Can anyone suggest a thread here which has comparative beamshots?

edc3

Enlightened
How about an M60L (warm if you like) and a diffuser/beam shaper? The L would give you better battery life and still have more than enough light for hiking and you can use the diffuser for around camp and whenever else you decide you want a more floody beam. The best of both worlds.

zven

Enlightened
I unfortunately don't have an M60L, so I can't do a full comparison for you. I do, however, have an M60 and an M60LF. Below is a comparison of those two modules, including the M60 with and without SF's FM34 diffuser, as well as a G3L (which I later discovered to have low batteries in this shot).

outdoorbeamshotcomparista2.jpg

Basically what I'd have to say about the M60LF is that it's pretty throwy for a flood lamp. In fact, it's about halfway in between the plain M60's throw, and the pure flood of the M60 behind the FM34. In my use, its throw is just as useful (if not more so) as SF's P60/P60L modules. And compared to those modules, the flood is MUCH more extensive and useful.

And in terms of flood/spill, the M60LF is wider, a touch brighter, and MUCH smoother than the M60. For concerns about the sidespill of either module bothering fellow hikers, I don't think there would be any real difference between the M60L and M60LF - both will be obnoxious, and plenty bright for your buddies to tell you to "point that thing somewhere else".

In the end, I think it depends on where you do most of your hiking/camping. If it's in generally open areas, with plenty of places where you want to see to a very distant treeline, then the M60L would probably suit your needs better. If, however, you're in wooded areas a lot, and not needing to see beyond 100-150 ft. very often, then I'd go with the M60LF.

For what it's worth, I live in a fairly wooded area, and my G2 with M60LF is my favorite light to use outdoors at night. It's the light I'm sure to have on me if I'll be using a light for extended periods of time (and I'll have my C2 with M60 on me for the occasional need for more powerful throw).

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get one of the warm tinted ones, M60W or M30W and use a diffuser for flood. You can't make a floody light throw, but making a throwy light flood is easy.

The warm tint works a lot better for distinguishing greens and browns and the small reduction in brightness is hardly noticeable.

The quality is above and beyond any other drop in I've tried and the customer service is flawless:D

I use a M30W in my C2:whistle:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the Warm version and Flood. M60WLF. The warm is so incan like its amazing.

You could use a 1 cr123 extention from Solarforce available at lighthound
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce-L2-Flashlight-Extension-Tube--L2-ECR_p_1625.html
And run 2 17500 cells will fit a 9P or 6P plus 1 cr123 extention.
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-17500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_99.html

You could also purchase 2 extentions and it would make youre 6P a little long, but you could use 2 cells in place of 4 cr123. The 17670 cell takes the place of 2 cr123. So you need a hosts for 4 cr123 like the 6P plus 2 extentions. See the battery 17670 battery here.
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-17670-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_101.html

What I have used with success is have youre 6P bored to accept 18650 or purchase an 18650 Solarforce hosts available at lighthound. Then you could get the 18650 extention and run the M60LF for more runtime than you probably had in mind. Now you could have overnight runtime.
18650 extention
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...on-Tube-for-18650-Battery--L2-E18_p_2808.html
18650 hosts
http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...ized--2xCR-123-or-1x18650-battery_p_2630.html

Or send youre 6P to this guy and for $15 dollars he will bore youre 6P. I have 2 of his 6P bored and they are a work of art. Serious quality.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=190245

Now you have plenty of choices to extend youre runtime. Let us know how it all worked out. Good luck.
bigchelis

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Well I have decided to give the M60WLF a try, I figure I could use my 6P M60W for when I need throw. Thank you for your responses.

Is there a place where I can get just a green G2 plastic bezel? I would like to put a red filter lens in one.

elumen8

Enlightened
I have malkoffs M60, M60W, M60LL in various 6Ps and G2s. I can't say enough about using them with the SF FM34 diffuser. Honestly, having good throw AND flood in one light is such a plus. Switching from flood to throw with the flick of your finger really is quite a treat. The relative low loss of light during flood is such a small trade-off knowing that you have basically two lights in one. Give it a shot, you just might like it.

-JB

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have malkoffs M60, M60W, M60LL in various 6Ps and G2s. I can't say enough about using them with the SF FM34 diffuser. Honestly, having good throw AND flood in one light is such a plus. Switching from flood to throw with the flick of your finger really is quite a treat. The relative low loss of light during flood is such a small trade-off knowing that you have basically two lights in one. Give it a shot, you just might like it.

-JB

+1

I own nine malkoffs but just one is of the flood variety as the FM34 is so crazily wonderful and does the trick. Two lights in one.

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking about a m60wlf or m60lf for my second light. I have a 9p now but cant decide if for the second light I should get the 6p or just get the g2 and save money since it will most likely be a low m60.

sappyg

Enlightened
Im thinking about a m60wlf or m60lf for my second light. I have a 9p now but cant decide if for the second light I should get the 6p or just get the g2 and save money since it will most likely be a low m60.

go for the g2 if weight is a concern. it's a great light.
i've got an m60lf and it's a real room lighter upper. of course 2 weeks after i got it these W m60's hit the scene and i really want to try one.

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the wlf so going to try it out in a G2. I have a feeling I might keep both close by but use the wlf more often and just use the m60 when I want some throw.