Is an inova t1 tiros with an rcr123a safe?

AMkrew

Newly Enlightened
I really like this light, from back in the day, and don't want to ruin it. I searched, but couldn't find anyone confirming that the light will be able to take it. I have the old one-cell tiros version, and the voltage would only be 4.1v versus 3v, but that's sometimes enough to ruin your day.

Thanks for saving me a light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this light, from back in the day, and don't want to ruin it. I searched, but couldn't find anyone confirming that the light will be able to take it. I have the old one-cell tiros version, and the voltage would only be 4.1v versus 3v, but that's sometimes enough to ruin your day.

Thanks for saving me a light.

I havn't tried it but would definately advise against it.I am sure the old INOVAs are not designed to handle the additional power of RCRs.Even if it doesn't go :poof: right away it will likely damage the LED/electronics.You might get away with LifePO4s or the other voltage restricted 3V RCRs but again I have tried those either.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
This is not a recommendation, but I just tried an rcr123 in my Inova T1 tiros. The battery came hot off my UltraFire WF-139 charger. The battery is a couple of years old, so may not be achieving maximum voltage. Anyhow, I let it run for two minutes without any angry blue light coming from the LED. Long term might shorten the life of the LED or electronics. I don't know. It is noticeably brighter on the rcr than on a primary battery. If you decide to try it, please remember the battery goes in "backwards". It's easy to forget if most of your flashlights take batteries the other way. I'm going to keep using my Inova to drain my remaining cr123's, since I don't use them for anything else now.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before Mockingbird just now, I've never heard of anyone even trying it, but I have always heard that it is not a good idea. I have run 3.0V limited RCR's in my T1 & T3 TIROS for most of their lives with no problem, but never tried 3.7V RCR's due to the many warnings over the years.