Need help with SF 6P -new bezel and Malkoff M60 problem

Kenpcfl

Newly Enlightened
A little help please for this novice.
I am configuring my 6P with this new bezel from Lighthound and a Malkoff M60 drop in. The LED does not illuminate with the new bezel installed, but works fine with the OEM bezel. The SF incandescent bulb works fine with the new bezel. What am I missing here?

lhhdwssbez.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little help please for this novice.
I am configuring my 6P with this new bezel from Lighthound and a Malkoff M60 drop in. The LED does not illuminate with the new bezel installed, but works fine with the OEM bezel. The SF incandescent bulb works fine with the new bezel. What am I missing here?

lhhdwssbez.jpg

You are not getting electrical contact.

Wrap the Malkoff M60 in aluminum foil. Just the sides. It will light up in no time.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to remove the entire head and the M60 should still work, assuming you press it down into the body enough. The electrical circuit is complete through the side of the M60 brass where it touches the inside of the light's body. In other word, electrons flow up from the battery, through the M60 spring and into the MM60 circuitry, then back out through the M60 brass body and into the interior of the light body. I think. :)

So maybe that new bezel is not pushing the M60 into the body enough for the side of the M60 to make contact with the body? That doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know!?

Try taking the entire head off and pressing the M60 down with your hand, and see if the light works.

Caveat: I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IIRC solarforce bezels are rumored to be slightly longer than surefire OEMs. Depending on the manufacturing tolerance stack ups with your particular host and M60, you could end up with an open circuit.

Kenpcfl

Newly Enlightened
Yes the M60 works without any bezel when pushed down.

I wrapped the sides of the Malkoff with foil and that did the trick. Terrific! Thanks for the help.

Is there any downside with this foil work-around, i.e. loss of voltage or problems with the heatsink?

6p.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the M60 works without any bezel when pushed down.

I wrapped the sides of the Malkoff with foil and that did the trick. Terrific! Thanks for the help.

Is there any downside with this foil work-around, i.e. loss of voltage or problems with the heatsink?

6p.jpg

No problems at all. In fact you will have the added benefit of better heat management. Of course the Malkoff doesn't need it, but it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.:thinking:

saltytri

Enlightened
Only upside, AFAIK. The foil improves heat transfer away from the drop-in to the head.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your Solarforce bezel come with a spacer ring? If so, drop that inside of the bezel and then add the Malkoff.

Check inside of the Solarforce bezel and compare it to the SureFire bezel. The Solarforce probably doesn't have SureFire's metal lip on which the glass window sits and against which the drop-in reflector rim abuts. That's the function of the spacer ring -- to add the equivalent height of the metal lip.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stainless steel Solarforce bezel I purchased from Lighthound sometime ago came with a black spacer ring. I needed to use it to make contact with my M60 installed in the light. The aluminum foil serves the same purpose, and honestly works just as well.

No need to be worried about your set-up, it will function 100%. Those Malkoff's sure are a wonderful thing aren't they? Everytime I read a post about them it reminds me that I need to pick up a warm version soon!

fishx65

Enlightened
Do those bezels come with a glass lense? Thinking about getting one for my old 6P.

Kenpcfl

Newly Enlightened
Yeah...came with a glass lens.

Spacer ring? I didn't see it in the package, but I am going to check the seat and floor of my car tomorrow to see if it fell out --after I excitedly opened the box upon getting it at the post office. :whistle: