Any mods for an old KL3 LED head?

gripnSUREFIRE

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the old SureFire KL3 LED heads. Its the 19 lumen head for the G2 6P etc etc. Looks just like this:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/sf_kl3bk_sm.jpg

My question is:
Are there any led upgrades I can drop into this head somehow?
I would think it would be a good host with all the cooling fins? If thats what they are for anyway. Thanks for your help CPF :wave:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That link is blocked on my computer, but I assume you are talking about the first gen ribbed KL3. The second gen still looks the same as the one sold today (see the SureFire website), which is smooth with a few mild krenellations and very shallow tapered axial grooves.
Milkyspit and a few others have modded these, but there is not a "drop-in" like there is for 6P lights. You have to open the head, sometimes using a lot of heat, desolder and pry off the original LED, then solder & glue in a new emitter. SSC or K2 TFFC would be your best bet to match the original Luxeon. I'd prefer a K2 TFFC as the latest U2 bin SSC's are a little inconsistant in tint across the beam of the LED and it may end up with a different color spot than spill. Both mine do.

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened
The photo shows up on my computer and, yes, it is a KL3 Gen1.

I'd also be interested in mod ideas for this. With all those fins for cooling, it might be a good basis for an MC-E barn burner!