Nichia 083 Reflector Possibility

mahoney

Enlightened
I was messing around with a Nichia 083 LED the other night, going through the optics box and trying it with various different reflectors. It does not seem to play well with most. One of the reflectors I tried was a 2AA mini-mag reflector that had been bored out to about 3/8" for some experiment. Placing it in front of the Nichia, I got a good looking hotspot focused in an even field of spill. I need to do some further work and probably cut down another reflector to really optimize the focus but I thought others working with the 083 might be interested.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mahoney, if you think I am hi-jacking your thread, I will edit my post. Let me know.

Here are two pictures of my "Poorman's Sundrop" mudman cj made and sold. A modified Nuwai Q3 with a Nichia 083 and a new driver board.

Beamshot, it is very floody.
pmsundropbeamshot.jpg

The emitter and reflector.
pmsundropbusinessend.jpg

mahoney

Enlightened
I played around with this a bit and it works. Sorry, I'm not set up for beam shots, but it's not hard to duplicate on your own. The Mini-Mag reflector starts out 12 mm high. I cut 3 mm off the back, enlarging the hole and leaving 9 mm of the front of the reflector. The result, typical Mini-Mag: tiny hotspot with big dim flood field. I can't say that beam type is a favorite of mine, so if anybody wants this reflector, PM me.

I've also tried the McR 18S. That looks more promising, a bit floodier. But nothing so far works as well with this LED as a lens of some sort. IMO anyway

mahoney

Enlightened
I tried a McR 19 reflector, but the beam was a bit "ringy". Probably just that particular reflector, I have noticed a little variation in performance of McR 19s.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mahoney, there are different types of McR19 reflectors. There is the XR and flood version. I've only tried the XR version.